Author Topic: Zach Lowe’s POR / Hayward trade proposal  (Read 6886 times)

Zach Lowe’s POR / Hayward trade proposal
« on: October 27, 2020, 10:55:53 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The entire thing is fleshed out here:

https://www.blazersedge.com/2020/10/26/21535363/lowe-collins-key-in-any-hayward-or-gordon-trade

The gist of it is:

Both Lowe and Marks agreed that a deal involving Collins at $5.4 million, Trevor Ariza at $12.8 million and Rodney Hood at $6 million and a protected first round pick was the most likley package for Hayward.

And to be fair, Lowe doesn’t see it as a slam dunk:

“Ariza is going to be gone from me next year, Hood might be gone from me next year. I’m really just trading for Collins and I have to be really bullish on Collins as probably my future five to make that deal,” Lowe said.

“I need to do some canvassing on what the league at large thinks of Zach Collins because I was really excited to see him play this year.”

“I thought he was really essential for them in the playoffs in 2019 whenever the hell that was. If he can get that three to a point where – he’s never going to be an elite three-point shooter – but if he can be Brook Lopez then he becomes a really interesting player.”

Either Lowe is aiming really low(e) here, or people are way off on Hayward being a centerpiece for a Turner / Oladipo trade.

So, Zach Collins + a protected first. Yay or nay?

(Hint:  the answer is nay. Or vomit.  Or wonder what Portland is blackmailing Danny with. And that’s even without accounting for Collins’ ankle surgery.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Zach Lowe’s POR / Hayward trade proposal
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 11:14:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I don't really think Hayward has nearly as much value as we think given his huge contract number next year and his ability to leave the year after.  Couple that with his significant injury concerns, and I don't know what his value actually is.  That said, I don't think Hayward, Langford, and 14 for Turner and Oladipo is that much of a stretch given Oladipo is unhappy, has injury concerns himself, and will almost certainly leave Indiana after the year.  So Oladipo and Hayward are very similar (except Oladipo is unhappy).  Turner is expendable for the Pacers and everyone knows it, so I don't think his value is that great either, which is why I think that trade could potentially happen.  But Indiana is one of the few places that would see Hayward as more than expiring contract/rental type situation.  Anywhere else, and I really don't think Hayward has that much value. 

As for the trade, I probably wouldn't do it because I don't think Collins is good enough to really count on being my long term center and the C's don't need another mid to late round 1st.  Now if I had some other trade lined up where I needed some good sized expiring contracts and another 1st round pick, then I might be willing to do it. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 12:08:02 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't like Zach Collins enough for that to seem worth it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 12:23:00 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
It’s a dumb trade idea.

Getting tired at all the crappy Gordon Hayward trade proposals.

Dude is our most efficient player.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 07:00:35 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
Ariza has some appeal. As does Hood. Just not a fan of the expiring contract for expiring contracts type of deal. I’d ask for Anfernee Simons if I’m the Celtics. The Blazers will most likely say no.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 07:16:19 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Quote from: blazersedge.com
Both Lowe and Marks agreed that a deal involving Collins at $5.4 million, Trevor Ariza at $12.8 million and Rodney Hood at $6 million and a protected first round pick was the most likley package for Hayward.
As things stand right now, the C's have more contracts + picks than roster spots. Trading Hayward for 3 players (+ 1 future pick) would only make the situation worse.

Quote from: blazersedge.com
However, Marks added that the deal would only work if Hayward opted out of his player option and agreed to a sign and trade at roughly $25 million a year.
If Hayward opts out and agrees to re-sign for ''roughly $25 million a year'', then I'd just keep him.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 07:20:20 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
i think the chip here is collins and the future first.  remember, the c's don't own any futures except their own.  collins was a highly touted recruit in hs, 4 or 5 star depending on which you read.  he fits the age profile of the team.  ariza and hood are bench depth players, at best.  reading this, though, i think the best deal for the c's is the indy one that includes turner.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 07:32:05 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
i think the chip here is collins and the future first.  remember, the c's don't own any futures except their own.  collins was a highly touted recruit in hs, 4 or 5 star depending on which you read.  he fits the age profile of the team.  ariza and hood are bench depth players, at best. reading this, though, i think the best deal for the c's is the indy one that includes turner.
In a vacuum, Hayward > Turner.

Hayward is a super efficient point forward. He can create his own shot. He can create shots for his teammates. The way he plays, he keeps everyone involved on offense, hence he keeps everyone happy. I really think we should just keep him. No deal is better than a bad deal.

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 08:00:39 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I had to read up on Zach Collins.  Missed most of last season due to shoulder surgery, then came back for 11 games and had ankle surgery due to a "hairline medial malleolus stress fracture".  I don't know what that is but it does not sound good for a 250 lbs basketball player.

I understand that the idea is we are probably losing Hayward anyway but I am not sure this sounds like a very good deal.  Hood is also coming off an Achilles injury. 

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 08:00:50 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Rather have Myles Turner than Zach Collins
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 08:21:56 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I like Zach Collins when healthy, but the draft pick would have to be really good. Like the option to switch draft picks in any given year over a three year span, unprotected.

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 08:35:10 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Collins has always been a player that had some flashes of really high level play, but has yet to be consistent. When you add to that the injury concerns, this deal doesn't seem like a great fit.

The upside of the deal for the Cs is a couple other things. First, they get cap relief and the possibility of getting under the tax. Second, Ariza could probably still give a few minutes as a backup wing. 

I don't hate this deal, but I don't love it either.

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 09:17:09 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Rather have Myles Turner than Zach Collins
Rather have Gordon Hayward than Myles Turner or Zach Collins.

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 09:22:51 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
The only redeeming thing about this proposed trade is cap relief.
If the deal was Collins, Ariza and a pick for Hayward it would create a 15 million dollar TPE the team could use to sign woods or Gallo like that.

Kemba
Brown
Tatum
Woods/gallo
Collins

Its interesting team if healthy.

Swap Zach for Nurkic though and I like it alot more.

'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 09:38:36 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
What an awful trade idea from Zach Lowe.

What is the point in such a trade? Why wouldn't you just keep Hayward?