Author Topic: Celtics (1-3) vs Magic (0-4) Summer League Game #5 7/15/23  (Read 4870 times)

Celtics (1-3) vs Magic (0-4) Summer League Game #5 7/15/23
« on: July 14, 2023, 10:10:53 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (1-3)  vs  Orlando Magic (0-4)
Saturday, July 15, 2023
6:30 PM ET
Summer League Game #5
TV:  NBA-TV
Thomas and Mack Center

Celtics Roster
J.D. Davison #20
Kamar Baldwin #26
Jordan Walsh #27
Jay Scrubb  #29
Mychal Mulder #37
Justin Bean #38
Vincent Valerio-Bodin  #41
Sam Griesel  #45
Olek Balcerowski  #50
Udoka Azubuike  #51
Reggie Kisoonlal  #55
Justin Champagnie #99
Delano Banton #43

Starters Last Game
PG:  J.D.Davison
SG:  Delano Banton
SF:  Justin Champagnie
PF:  Jordan Walsh
C:   Olek Balcerowski

Head Coach
Tony Dobbins

Players to Watch

Jordan Walsh
Walsh was the Celtics 38th pick in the 2023 draft.  He is 6'7" with a 7'3" wingspan.  He averaged 7.1 ppg for Arkansas last season on 43% shooting.  He can defend 1-5 and with and is unselfish and a hard worker.  He just signed a 4 year $7.6 million  contract with the Celtics.  Over the first 4 games, he averaged 17.0 points, 4.3 rebounds, 1.8 assists, and 1.0 steals. 

Jay Scrubb
Scrubb was the 55th pick by the Brooklyn Nets in 2020.  He has played for the LA Clippers, Agua Caliente Clippers, Orlando Magic and the Lakeland Magic over the past 3 seasons.  Over the first 4 games, he averaged 16.5 points, 3.8 rebounds, 1.8 assists, and 1.3 steals per game. 

Delano Banton
Banton was the 46th pick in the 2021 draft by the Toronto Raptors.  He played 2 years for the Raptors and just signed a 2 year contract with the Celtics.  He averaged 4.6 points, 1.5 rebounds and 1.2 assists per game with the Raptors last season while shooting 42.3% overall, 29.4% from 3 and 70.8% from the line. He missed the first two Summer League games with a
finger injury but averaged 15.0 points, 6.0 rebounds, and 4.0 assists in the last two. 

Magic Roster
Anthony Black
Caleb Houstan
Kevon Harris
Jett Howard
Tyger Campbell
JC Butler
Amauri Hardy
Au'Diese Toney
D.J.Wilson
Tyler Hall
Quinndary Wetherspoon
Drake Jeffries
Elijah Hughes
Dexter Dennis
Robert Baker II
Malcolm Hill
Montez Mathis
Jamal Bey
Malik Ellison
Davion Warren
Kai Sotto

Starters Last Game
PG:  Tyger Campbell
SG:  Quinndary Weatherspoon
SF:  Au'Diese Toney
PF:  Dexter Dennis
C:    D.J. Wilson

Head Coach
Dylan Murphy

Players to Watch

Caleb Houstan
Houston was the 32nd pick in the 2022 draft by the Magic.  He played for Orlando in last year's Summer League.  He is averaging 15.0 points, 3.5 rebounds and 1.0 assists for Orlando so far. 

Jett Howard
Howard was the  11th pick in the 2023 draft by the Orlando Magic.  He is the son of former NBA player Juwan Howard.  He  is averaging 13.3 points, 2.7 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 1.03 steals per game for the Magic in Summer League.

Anthony Black
Black was the 6th pick in the 2023 draft by the Orlando Magic.  Black is 6-foot-7 and can, as of right now, already play three positions.  He is Black is a high basketball IQ, highly-switchable player you can pretty much plug into any type of lineup.  He is averaging 11 points, 8.7 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 2.0 steals per game. 

Game Notes
This is the fifth and final game for both the Celtics and the Magic.  The Magic last played on Thursday, while the Celtics are playing in back to back games.  The Celtics have won just one game, over the Lakers.  The Magic have lost all 4 games they have played so far.   

The Celtics are coached by assistant coach Tony Dobbins, who has been an assistant with the Celtics since 2020, under Brad Stevens, Ime Udoka and Joe Mazzulla.  He served as a video coordinator for the Celtics during the 2019-20 season.  The Magic are coached by Dylan Murphy.  Murphy was Orlando's basketball operations analyst from 2018-20.  He has been an assistant coach there for the past 3 seasons.  He will coach their G-League team next season. 

As with every Summer League, it's difficult to predict a starting lineup as coaches are looking to try different lineups and combination of players and they want to get an idea of what each player brings to the table.  I've listed the starting lineup for each team from their first Summer League game.  For the most part, evaluating players to see which ones might fit with the roster is more important to these coaches than winning the games.

Keys to the Game
Shooting - The Celtics will be looking for players who can shoot from the outside and also who can finish at the basket.  They will also be looking for players who can shore up the wings and point guard spots.   The Celtics scoring has been up and down but at times they have struggled to score.  Hopefully someone will step up in this game and have a good scoring game. 

Defense - The Celtics have put a premium on playing defense in the past and they will be looking to see which Summer Celtics fit that mold.  JD Davison has already said that he plans to show he can be a dog on the defensive end and Jordan Walsh is also a very good defender.  Players will have to show that they can play tough defense if they hope to get a spot on the Celtics or a two way contract.   

Take Care of the Ball - The Celtics are averaging 19.3 turnovers per game while the Magic are averaging just 17.0 turnovers per game.  The Celtics need to do a better job of taking care of the ball. 

Rebound - Rebounding is always important.  The Celtics were out-rebounded 38-22 in their game against the Heat.  They did much better in the second game, out-rebounding the Wizards 43-31.  They out-rebounded the Lakers 52-39. The Celtics out rebounded the Knicks 36-31. The Celtics need to continue to crash the boards if they want to win this game.

X-Factors
It's Summer League - While teams want to win, every one of these teams is pretty much cobbled together from undrafted players, end of bench players, and G-League players.  They have had limited practice time for the  most part and so it's hard to tell how each team will play and which teams will dominate.  One thing for sure is that every player is trying to get noticed and earn a place on a roster and so we may see some players surprise us. 

Re: Celtics (1-3) vs Magic (0-4) Summer League Game #5 1/15/23
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 10:11:40 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Go Summer Celts!  Give me a memory of a win to hold me over until training camp!!

Re: Celtics (1-3) vs Magic (0-4) Summer League Game #5 7/15/23
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023, 10:13:35 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to  Celtics2021  for being the first to post in the game thread!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Summer Celtics!!!!!

Beat the Magic!!!!! 

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2023, 07:24:46 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
TP to  Celtics2021  for being the first to post in the game thread!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Summer Celtics!!!!!

Beat the Magic!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2023, 08:11:50 AM »

Online celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Can’t be any worse than yesterday. Hopefully they can keep it under 100 turnovers

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2023, 08:42:04 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
This is the last time we see many of these guys. The majority of PT should go to the starters. DNP-CDs are a strong indication that C's are done with them. However, some may get playing time as a favor just to give them a little more exposure as they may soon be out of the league entirely.

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2023, 08:45:12 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 660
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Banton, Walsh and Davison might be the only keepers off this SL team. Just not a lot of talent to invest in.

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2023, 08:55:58 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
This summer league team has the lowest BBIQ I have seen in quite some time.  They are sloppy, careless, lazy passers.  I have not enjoyed watching them at all. The zone defense experiment has been a disaster.  Wondering if the senior team intends to incorporate it into their system come fall. Maybe will have more success with better athletes.

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2023, 09:22:28 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
Banton, Walsh and Davison might be the only keepers off this SL team. Just not a lot of talent to invest in.
All three are signed so great minds think alike.  ;D

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2023, 11:09:43 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

Yeah, without Yam and Begarin, not much there.  Add in the lack of 1st's recently and the pickings are slim.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2023, 02:10:11 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

Yeah, without Yam and Begarin, not much there.  Add in the lack of 1st's recently and the pickings are slim.

I liked what I saw with Olek Balcerowski. I think he would be much better in a more structured system. Summer league is always disjointed and our team seems really disjoined but I saw some things to like. It's glorified pick up ball.

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2023, 02:49:28 PM »

Online smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Apparently I’m a crazy person, but I want to see more of Justin Bean. While Jay Scrubb has put up points as our only true scorer, I don’t see much of that translating against NBA big men/defenses. I hope to see more Bean tonight because I thought he was good the first two games but invisible the last two.

Bean has flashed some shooting, cutting, and moving the ball quickly on offense that could translate to the NBA as a future 14th man a lot better than Scrubb as a SL iso scorer. The limited skills he has flashed in SL as a complimentary offensive spacer and connector for the deep bench could translate.

I have also seen him stifle at least 4 one on one finishes at the rim either with blocks or contests. I’d like to see him get minutes tonight because I don’t expect to get studs as SL FAs. Bean is flashing skills that would make him an injury plug n play to support our stars. I’d take that on a 2 way.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2023, 02:50:51 PM »

Online smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
If we are looking at other teams for 2-way talent, those two guys on the Knicks looked better than pretty much all of our guys, both Charlie Brown Jr (might have just been having the game of his life) and the SL Jokic (plodding big but definitely has skills).

No idea if those guys are already on 2-ways or about to be signed.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 03:08:34 PM by smokeablount »
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2023, 04:51:38 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Apparently I’m a crazy person, but I want to see more of Justin Bean. While Jay Scrubb has put up points as our only true scorer, I don’t see much of that translating against NBA big men/defenses. I hope to see more Bean tonight because I thought he was good the first two games but invisible the last two.

Bean has flashed some shooting, cutting, and moving the ball quickly on offense that could translate to the NBA as a future 14th man a lot better than Scrubb as a SL iso scorer. The limited skills he has flashed in SL as a complimentary offensive spacer and connector for the deep bench could translate.

I have also seen him stifle at least 4 one on one finishes at the rim either with blocks or contests. I’d like to see him get minutes tonight because I don’t expect to get studs as SL FAs. Bean is flashing skills that would make him an injury plug n play to support our stars. I’d take that on a 2 way.
I don’t know. Seems like a has bean to me. 😉

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2023, 06:35:10 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
Anyone in Boston area not seeing the game on NBA-TV?  It’s just an interview with Juwan Howard’s son.

EDIT: here it is starting now.