Author Topic: Celtics (0-2) at Heat (2-0) ECF Game #3 5/21/23  (Read 29671 times)

Re: Celtics (0-2) at Heat (2-0) ECF Game #3 5/21/23
« Reply #870 on: May 22, 2023, 05:40:08 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
If this is the part where you want to counter that it took Paul Pierce 10 seasons to win a championship, that’s because it took that long to assemble a winning team around him.

Now this is interesting because of the tangent it brings up - is there a universe where the Tatum & Brown duo is just Antoine & Pierce all over again? There's some similarities, and some differences (namely that the Jays have already been much, much more successful).

I think the thing they have to figure out is do they have that drive inside them to be the best players on the court whenever they step on it, and do they take it personally if they are not. Mamba mentality, in a sense.

In a way this series reminds me of 2020-21, the year after the bubble, where we lost to the KD and Cryrie Nets 4-1. We had one good game in G3 where Tatum scored 50 points but we were well beaten in the other games. Durant wrecked us in 3 games and Harden finished us off in the 5th game. We had no Jaylen then so we weren't expected to beat the Nets but the disappointment and calls for heads to roll were similar.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #871 on: May 22, 2023, 05:46:54 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Jimmy taunting Al after Miami went up 29 points in the third. Say what you like about him, the man can troll with the best of them  :angel:

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #872 on: May 22, 2023, 06:08:49 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2409
I was just looking at the box score again this morning. G Vincent finished with 29pts. D Robinson with 22pts. C Martin with 18pts.

That trio combined for 69pts.

« Reply #873 on: May 22, 2023, 06:15:22 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
If this is the part where you want to counter that it took Paul Pierce 10 seasons to win a championship, that’s because it took that long to assemble a winning team around him.

Now this is interesting because of the tangent it brings up - is there a universe where the Tatum & Brown duo is just Antoine & Pierce all over again? There's some similarities, and some differences (namely that the Jays have already been much, much more successful).

I think the thing they have to figure out is do they have that drive inside them to be the best players on the court whenever they step on it, and do they take it personally if they are not. Mamba mentality, in a sense.

In a way this series reminds me of 2020-21, the year after the bubble, where we lost to the KD and Cryrie Nets 4-1. We had one good game in G3 where Tatum scored 50 points but we were well beaten in the other games. Durant wrecked us in 3 games and Harden finished us off in the 5th game. We had no Jaylen then so we weren't expected to beat the Nets but the disappointment and calls for heads to roll were similar.

Maybe. I can see what you're saying, but to my mind Mamba mentality is marketing, in a way - you quite simply don't make it to the NBA if you're not driven to compete, no matter how insanely talented you are - and I think the natural conclusion that 'Mamba mentality' points to (the idea that there are NBA players out there who don't prefer winning to losing as much as, say, Kobe) is as nice for a narrative to sell sneakers as it is detached from reality.

In other words, Kobe didn't win because he was a workaholic jerk, Kobe was a workaholic jerk who won. There are other successful guys who fit this narrative (MJ, KG, et al) but there are just as many guys who don't - do we really think someone like Tim Duncan didn't care about winning as much as those guys?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #874 on: May 22, 2023, 06:36:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Fire Joe at Halftime and pick a player coach.  JK

Why are you kidding?

I was only half kidding

if I could sum up this season in one word that word would be squandered.   What a disappointment.

« Reply #875 on: May 22, 2023, 07:10:06 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
The Good ship Celtic has been sailing though mostly calm seas ,  with a rookie captain ,  but as the seas got more difficult and the situations more dire it began to flounder. But, hadn’t the crew managed a few mild storms by themselves ?

Then oceans churned , the hurricane hit . An experienced clear voice to pilot the ship was not heard , as not one of the crew or coach has a true captains nature among  them .

The Captain hesitated. The storm roared. The boat pitched hard .

No one grabbed the rudder ,  the crew saw this and they stop rowing .

We know what happened next.

« Reply #876 on: May 22, 2023, 07:28:19 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Joe has lost the locker room. once that happens, there is no coming back.

« Reply #877 on: May 22, 2023, 08:01:12 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Tatum and brown combined for 1 free throw.

« Reply #878 on: May 22, 2023, 08:37:21 AM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2487
What’s the future for Joe Mazzulla? — 11:00 p.m.
Eddie House on NBC Sports Boston’s broadcast: “[dang] that. Let me say this. I feel like the Celtics have quit on their coach. Call it what we really see. I feel that those guys out there don’t believe in what their coach is doing. ... I don’t believe they really believe in Joe Mazzulla.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/05/21/sports/celtics-heat-live-score-analysis-nba-playoffs/?p1=BGLiveUpdates_Link#what's_the_future_for_joe_mazzulla

so maybe that joking conversation about the players tanking in the playoffs to get their coach replaced is true? omg
even if you hate what the coach is doing, that lack of effort was pathetic...

We can blame the coaching all day long, but the bottom line is that these guys don't play for EACH OTHER.

And there have been problems in this locker room since the last second meltdown against Toronto in the bubble. That was the moment this became a choking team that didn't trust one another.

Ime whipped them into shape temporarily, but there is no leadership on this squad.

Smart is a flaming hypocrite. I'm tired of his lack of composure. His cavalier attitude is the top reason we blow leads. He needs to be gone.

Horford is a choking dog. Gone. Get him out. I don't care about his supposed leadership and experience. If what he's doing is leading then I don't want leaders.

Get rid of the coach and vets. No more excuses for our spoiled, passive-aggressive stars. Let these cowards finally assume the responsibility - and the blame - when they inevitably choke again.

« Reply #879 on: May 22, 2023, 08:48:28 AM »

Online Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1560
Eddie House on NBC Sports Boston’s broadcast: “[dang] that. Let me say this. I feel like the Celtics have quit on their coach. Call it what we really see. I feel that those guys out there don’t believe in what their coach is doing. ... I don’t believe they really believe in Joe Mazzulla.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/05/21/sports/celtics-heat-live-score-analysis-nba-playoffs/?p1=BGLiveUpdates_Link#what's_the_future_for_joe_mazzulla

so maybe that joking conversation about the players tanking in the playoffs to get their coach replaced is true? omg

We can blame the coaching all day long, but the bottom line is that these guys don't play for EACH OTHER.

And there have been problems in this locker room since the last second meltdown against Toronto in the bubble. That was the moment this became a choking team that didn't trust one another.

Ime whipped them into shape temporarily, but there is no leadership on this squad.

Smart is a flaming hypocrite. I'm tired of his lack of composure. His cavalier attitude is the top reason we blow leads. He needs to be gone.

Horford is a choking dog. Gone. Get him out. I don't care about his supposed leadership and experience. If what he's doing is leading then I don't want leaders.

Get rid of the coach and vets. No more excuses for our spoiled, passive-aggressive stars. Let these cowards finally assume the responsibility - and the blame - when they inevitably choke again.

yeah that concerns me as well. i think we have some possible cancers on this team that need to go.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #880 on: May 22, 2023, 09:34:52 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
At halftime last night, I decided to watch a movie instead.

« Reply #881 on: May 22, 2023, 09:58:23 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith

Yup , this is where I’m at .  Ime wanted a captain ,  but the team was …oh ….we don’t need a captain, we are all equal …..this is the same b-poo that Kyrie and KD told the nets . We don’t need to be told what to do ….we can coach ourselves. So Ime stepped in and took a harder coaching role because the group was too soft on each to demand excellence and accountability.

Ime helped the situation a lot once he got to know the guys individually,  but THEY still have not United as team and bonded.  They are like a band of hippies in a 60’s nature camp with nobody to account to .  It becomes a mess of I don’t cares individuals waiting on somebody else to speak up.
 Tatum and Brown are the stars,  they need to act like stars .  Lead THEIR team ….it’s not an All Star team …which I could understand if everybody was top 10 players .  The rest of the team needs to rely on the STARS to led the way …..it’s not Rocket science.

There is another guy who reminds me of Tatum and Brown …that’s Paul George …..nice dude but he isn’t ever going to mentally take a team on his back as their leader , yet he is generally the best player on the court .
Brad …avoiding the Bron , Green personality types ….leaders who don’t mind telling others to play hard , wake up etc…..has left us with a bunch of softy types ,that winning doesn’t seem to matter .  The team needs vocal leaders .  Al is a great father figure , kind , soft spoken , smart , and he reminds me of Ward Clever …the Beavers father.  Too nice.

Wyc and Brad and who ever ….really started this mess with the crucifixion of Ime ……they warned him ,  then hung him.  How about a little four week suspension and a bit of public humiliation.  But somebody wanted him dead and buried.   

I saw this coming , I never was comfortable or thought the players were going to take the reins and be able to hold themselves accountable. 

Getting rid of a strong voiced coach just set the team back , back to Brad Stevens who is a poor azzed leader , great x and O coach …but no man voice to listen to ….very very weak acting and not a leader …maybe Boy Scouts …..not men,
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 10:11:53 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #882 on: May 22, 2023, 10:08:49 AM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 595

yeah that concerns me as well. i think we have some possible cancers on this team that need to go.

Aside from the coach needing to be tossed, there has to be a shift in mental attitude. It's true this team has had the same issues for 3 different coaches, but the question is could a experienced coach whip them into shape? IDK. I wonder if they hire Nurse, and give him until the trade deadline to transform  them. Tatum needs to be that leader the team needs. Brown has to be better at complimenting consistently and learn how to freaking dribble a ball. Smart cannot keep being the court jester when we get up by 15 and make boneheaded TO's etc. Everyone sans Tatum is a trade asset at this point and if they don't get it together, they're shipped off. I don't believe age is going to solve this issue, it's going to take ether a touch coach holding them accountable(Something not done yet) or a roster refresh.

We are on the cusp, they just need the right guy to take them there.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #883 on: May 22, 2023, 10:16:18 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Brown and especially Tatum act like being THE leaders is NOT in their job description.

They make the big contracts , unwritten laws of competition since the beginning of time , in athletic endeavors, the leadership roles falls in the lap of the best players.

Somewhere along the line , something went wrong.

Solution …for now

Fire Joe ASAP …..no assistant s will want to coach under him now …he is toast ….and will need to start over on another team at a n assistant level.

Hire coach Bud or Nick

Then mandate …Brown and Tatum “ Must become “ co-captains of the Celtics .  No if buts and or r’s .  They need this team title hung around their necks to  help remind them of their responsibility to the rest of the team

« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 10:29:39 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #884 on: May 22, 2023, 06:53:38 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
Saw this on Twitter and it made me giggle

I hope the Celtics win Game 4 so that they can get booed one last time at TD Garden.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller