Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Eastern First Round: Indiana(1) vs Milwaukee(8)  (Read 86261 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Eastern First Round: Indiana(1) vs Milwaukee(8)
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2013, 09:49:02 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Quickly browsing through the matchups and wow... If there is an upset to be had in the playoffs, this is the one. MIL matches up with INd perfectly... Don't understand how IND takes this one even with their star power. I say MIL in 6, maybe even 5

At least somebody here gets it  ;D

I agree

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2013, 10:41:41 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
So, I was going to post a bunch of stats and fancy numbers and what not, but frankly I just don't have the time.  As such, I'm just going to make my point simple.

Indy obviously has the bigger "star".  I can't deny that.  Williams is also a much "sexier" name than Conley, but whatever.  My team isn't about relying on one player to carry the load.  To be honest, I hate teams like that and am not impressed (no offense to Rondo2287).  I'd much rather have a well built, fully cohesive group of players who all complement each other nicley.  It's just more fun to watch, and can be darn competitive too.

As for game strategy, I plan to play it pretty straight up.  On defense I won't be double teaming either of Indy's stars.  I think it would be much to my advantage to force Durant to have to play hero-ball all day while my defenders make sure to lock everyone else down.  This has proven to be a winning formula against many of the bigger stars in this league.

George and Ariza are about as good of defenders for this job as there gets.  Will either "win" this matchup, no, but that's not the point.  Without much else for help around him, besides DWill, he's going to need to shoot a high FG% to keep his team in the game.  If Durant or DWill are taking 20-25 shots each, I'd say that plays right into my plan.  The other players will simply be out of rhythm for when the game gets tight, and that can be problematic, and if either star has an off game, that would spell doom.

Meanwhile, on offense, I plan to spread the ball around, never letting Indy's mediocre defense focus on any one player.  Conley has proven himself to be a capable floor general, and is coming off a playoff run in which his he averaged over 17ppg and 7apg while eliminating bot CP3 and Durants teams from the playoffs.  Paul George also had a very nice playoff run, taking the "king" to 7 games in the ECF.  Not too shabby.  And let's be clear, Durant is no Lebron.

I plan to use a number of ball-screen and pick-n-pop plays for my shooters.  Ryno and Redick, in particular, are deadly 3pt shooters.  If the defense focuses on the ball penetration of either Conley or George, my shooter will be there waiting to "let it rain".  Also, I fully plan on utilizing a lot of small-ball, and playing at a high pace.  This will likely lead to a number of steals and easy fast break points for players like George, Ariza, Gee and Conley.

In the front-court (outside of the already much discussed Okafor/Anderson vs Lopez/Scola matchup-which I will most assuredly have the advantage in due to rebounding prowess and shooting),  Indy's bigs will partly be neutralized by my small-ball rotations  (seriously-Indy has no likely answer for when I run out my shooting lineup of Anderson/George/Ariza/Redick/Conley).  Brand and Evans are likely to be the bigs off the bench seeing the most minutes (guessing) and while Brand did outscore Evans in their two most recent games this season by a meager 12 to 4, Evans out-rebounded Brand by a whopping 33 to 7.  And while Greg Smith may not see much time, he did average 4 pts and 3 rebounds in 11mpg this past playoffs.  I don't see a fourth big on Indy's roster who can provide even this amount of production.

As for guard/wing bench units, and their respective contributions, I feel I have a fairly sound advantage in this department.  Indy has really only one bench player of note, Ray Allen.  While he can be as deadly a sniper the game has seen, he doesn't really contribute much else.  To counter, Alzono Gee will be getting most of the minute in the back-court.  In the four games these two played this year, this matchup was essentially equal.  This is in addition to the obvious impact Ariza will have on the game (discussed above), which isn't something my  counterpart can match.  Durant better play the full 48 or there could be real trouble.

As for my deep bench, Bayles, Ellington and Green may get time if there is foul trouble, or to provide even more long range shooting if necessary, with Baylees being the most likely to see time.  This likely won't have much of a factor, admittedly, but Bayless did average 9pts and 2ast in 20mpg in last years playoffs as Conley's backup.

In conclusion, while I expect a tough series, I see the Bucks winning in either 6 or 7, due in part to being a more complete team.

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2013, 10:52:07 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Time for my nap now before class.

Best of luck to Rondo, may the better team win (mine of course  ;D).

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2013, 10:56:11 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Lets be genuine here.  I can't imagine that finding stats to help your case would have taken less time than that write up.  Unless there arent stats that help your case.

As I have already pointed out, my 3 best starters on a whole have significantly outplayed your 3 best starters.  There is a reason why Kevin Durant is a "sexy star name" because he is [dang] good and has hands down owned the matchup against your best player.  I think he could easily average between 35 and 40 considering he put up 31 on average last season against George with much better interior defenders behind him. 

I also think the idea that my team isnt well constructed is pretty wrong.  My frontcourt is a net neutral with yours because of the way that they compliment eachother and how their strengths offensively compliment the two stars on my team.  Lopez is a perfect fit with what I want to do offensively and so is Scola.  Just because they arent as talent as Durant and Deron doesnt mean they won't fit well. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2013, 11:02:54 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Lets be genuine here.  I can't imagine that finding stats to help your case would have taken less time than that write up.  Unless there arent stats that help your case.

People can feel free to look up the stats if they wish, I am not even remotely afraid of what they might suggest.  Besides, we could both sit here and cherry pick whatever stats we want to help our cause, but that's bogus.

But again, good luck to you (in all seriousness).

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2013, 11:11:08 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

People can feel free to look up the stats if they wish, I am not even remotely afraid of what they might suggest.  Besides, we could both sit here and cherry pick whatever stats we want to help our cause, but that's bogus.

But again, good luck to you (in all seriousness).

Luckily they don't have to look up the stats, I posted them (albeit in bad formatting) earlier this morning

How has Conely played Williams post-Denver era?

Gah,
I had a long write up and then it timed out on me.  So I apologize for the formatting on the tables but here is the jist.  Williams scored more as you would expect while the rest of the matchup is fairly even.  This is during their 3 times playing eachother since williams has been in New Jersey

In the two times playing last year where both George and Durant were playing SF and guarding eachother Durant owned the matchup.  Scoring almost 20 more ppg while shooting 20% better from the field.

And in the two games last year with both Scola and Anderson playing starters minutes, 28 mpg for scola, 32 for anderson.  The matchup was remarkably even.

Pts         FG%          3P%         RPG          APG
Williams   20.67   50%   50%   3.33   7.00
Conley   13.33   57%   43%   1.33   7.33

Durant   30.5   49.7%   38%   8.5   2.5
George   12.5   30.3%   33%   7.5   2.5

Scola       14     0.4875        6     2
Anderson   15.5   0.3875      7   1.5
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2013, 03:56:23 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
my votes in....IND

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2013, 04:51:32 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Tough call for me, but I actually think Milwaukee can pull off the upset.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 05:01:55 PM by AB_Celtic »

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2013, 05:05:43 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Not gonna lie. I agree here.

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2013, 06:02:54 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Any argument based on past player performances or just hunches?

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2013, 06:57:56 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Based upon the fact that they're potential Eastern Conference playoff opponents. Game theory for the win. ;)

(Just kidding, guys.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2013, 07:07:24 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Based upon the fact that they're potential Eastern Conference playoff opponents. Game theory for the win. ;)

(Just kidding, guys.)

Ya, I dunno how you can vote for Milwaukee if you have seen the stats of Durant vs George.

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2013, 07:09:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

(Just kidding, guys.)

Ya, I dunno how you can vote for Milwaukee if you have seen the stats of Durant vs George.

Well, in fairness, it's a team game, and your team has completely ignored defense.  In playoff basketball, that's seen (rightfully) as a fatal flaw.

I voted you through to the next round, but I think both teams were seeded too highly.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2013, 08:05:52 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

(Just kidding, guys.)

Haha, I just saw this.

Though it might seem like some game theory on my part, the reason I went with Milwaukee is because of the defense and the supporting cast, both of which are much stronger than Indiana's. If I do end up facing Milwaukee later on, then that's probably bad for me. I think they're the tougher playoff team of the two (though definitely not unbeatable).