Author Topic: Talk Me Into Tyler Herro, Mock Drafts Say He is our 14th Pick  (Read 3078 times)

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Two of the most reputable Mock Drafts (ESPN and SI) have Celtics select Tyler Herro at 14.  I am unimpressed based on my scouting of videos, but did not see him play during the season.

His 3 point shooting numbers are average (35.5) but his FT % excellent (93.5).  Negative wingspan a concern, especially defensively.

Can someone talk me off the ledge here if we select him?  Is he a poor man's Klay Thompson?  He has similar shooting stroke, not as long, about the same height, and certainly can't defend at Klay's level.

Thanks.

Re: Talk Me Into Tyler Herro, Mock Drafts Say He is our 14th Pick
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 01:28:19 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I can't talk you into it! I don't want him at all...

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 01:29:36 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Two of the most reputable Mock Drafts (ESPN and SI) have Celtics select Tyler Herro at 14.  I am unimpressed based on my scouting of videos, but did not see him play during the season.

His 3 point shooting numbers are average (35.5) but his FT % excellent (93.5).  Negative wingspan a concern, especially defensively.

Can someone talk me off the ledge here if we select him?  Is he a poor man's Klay Thompson?  He has similar shooting stroke, not as long, about the same height, and certainly can't defend at Klay's level.

Thanks.

Afraid he is a poor man's Doug McDerrmott...Want them to get a big at 14

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 01:33:38 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125

Thanks.

If his wingspan really is negative, that would definitely be a concern.

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 01:35:51 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Herro appears to be a poor man's Booker / Reddick. His ceiling is one of those guys. His floor is probably a safe bet as a bench floor spacer for 15 mins a game.

I don't think he is good enough to be picked 14. At 20? Ok.

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 01:37:37 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I don't think that we're taking him anymore. He made sense as a role player when we had a title contender. At this point, we're looking for playmakers.

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 01:38:17 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Great shooter who should shoot better than he did in college from deep.

Solid all around player who should be ok on defense at the next level and is competent enough off the dribble that he’s not going to be strictly limited to catch and shoot stuff.

High floor guy. It’s a weak draft in terms of star potential by all accounts and getting a guy who projects very favorably as a mid level role player sooner rather than later is decent value at 14.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 01:40:14 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I feel like these guys can be found on the open market. I'd rather pay Korver/Reddick/McDermott/whoever on a short term deal than draft/develop a player with limited upside.

I don't see Booker/Klay when I watch Herro.

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 01:43:49 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
We don't need another James Young. Get a big!

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 01:43:53 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Great shooter who should shoot better than he did in college from deep.

Solid all around player who should be ok on defense at the next level and is competent enough off the dribble that he’s not going to be strictly limited to catch and shoot stuff.

High floor guy. It’s a weak draft in terms of star potential by all accounts and getting a guy who projects very favorably as a mid level role player sooner rather than later is decent value at 14.

I agree with your last paragraph. I do think he will be exposed at the next level defensively.

Erik hit the nail on the head. I think Danny is making 2 or 3 picks tonight with potential in mind. If you're Danny, how could you not be kicking yourself about the Giannis draft? I think he realizes that he has an opportunity to find a diamond in the rough, and that is what he and his scouting dept are paid to do.

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 01:46:00 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
SI and ESPN are not the most reliable IMO.  I’d rather trust local reports as they know the Celtics better!!
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 01:57:50 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I want him badly! Im a UK fan and watched him every game..he would fit perfect in Stevens system..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 01:58:01 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Is he another Connaughton? 
Or less hops...

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 01:59:39 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I can’t help you with this. Really hoping we don’t pick him at 14.

Lots of mocks have the Cs making a different pick at 14. KOC on the Ringer, NBADraft.net, Globe, Herald.

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 02:00:00 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Well, he's from Milwaukee....cold weather and beer. Boston won't be scarin' him much.

Everyone down to people who don't know what basketball is are concerned with his alligator arms. I had to check a video to make sure he had arms at all.

Shoots off dribble from anywhere.
Never misses a free throw, just doesn't get fouled that much.
Played 31.9 mpg for Kentucky which means he's one of the best college basketball players in the country and one of the best for Kentucky as he had the most minutes on the team.....not sure what that means, but, he was top "something" out of high school.

He had 12.4 FGA (45.1%) in his last ten which included the tourney.
In that final ten games he was bad from three....26%.

I guess at #14 you start cutting guys breaks.
His rookie salary will be low.
Might be a better shooter than Smart.

Aren't there other guys we can pick at #14?

Ummm...did I say everybody thinks his arms are short?