Author Topic: Help me understand: why the constant attacks on our players?  (Read 5143 times)

Re: Help me understand: why the constant attacks on our players?
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2019, 06:38:58 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Great words Roy. Much respect.
I also don't understand the bashing.
As Lar said - it might be a defensive mechanism regarding Kyrie.

But if you take a wide shot of him he did since his trade demand from Cleveland, I can see that he does bleed green:
- Dismantled our biggest rivals of the last decade for good (Cleveland and Lebron).
- Adapted to Stevens, and he respects him.
- Improved his biggest weakness - defense.
- Gave us a closer we needed.
- Dives on the floor even though he is often times the most talented player on the floor. That's not as usual as some might think.
- Took an Alpha role, as he rightfully should. There is/was a big hole there.
- Said he loves it here and that he will resign.
- is prying AD here.
- Raises Boston off his chest when he hits a big shot.
- Is trying to be humble and available, even if he is not perfect at his execution, I find that very sympathetic. Kind of like a kid who is in love but doesn't know how to approach his dear. So he learns by mistakes.

And one more observation.
There has been a tremendous amount of Kyrie stories, almost every day you see a new one. I explain it as: It is so as he is magnetic and fans dissect him. They can't get enough. They dissect cause they care.
You won't see Lillard or Kemba getting the same treatment. They are good but not Kyrie by this standard.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 06:51:43 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2019, 06:59:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We live in a terribly divided society in general. Where blue and red, up and down are pitted against each other 24/7.

I think it is terrible that people think this to be case.   I don't think that I am against the people that  I talk with about politics here.   Perhaps they think that about me, but I do not think I am against anyone.

As for players, I hated Sullinger when he was here because I could see his flaws way before they became evident to others.   He did not play D, he was unathletic and was a pitiful shooter.   I love the Celtics and do not want a slug like that on the team.

As fans, people are going to complain if their team is not doing as well as they perceive they should do.  I think that this is even worse in Title Town because fans expect to win.

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2019, 07:18:42 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Great words Roy. Much respect.
I also don't understand the bashing.
As Lar said - it might be a defensive mechanism regarding Kyrie.

But if you take a wide shot of him he did since his trade demand from Cleveland, I can see that he does bleed green:
- Dismantled our biggest rivals of the last decade for good (Cleveland and Lebron).
- Adapted to Stevens, and he respects him.
- Improved his biggest weakness - defense.
- Gave us a closer we needed.
- Dives on the floor even though he is often times the most talented player on the floor. That's not as usual as some might think.
- Took an Alpha role, as he rightfully should. There is/was a big hole there.
- Said he loves it here and that he will resign.
- is prying AD here.
- Raises Boston off his chest when he hits a big shot.
- Is trying to be humble and available, even if he is not perfect at his execution, I find that very sympathetic. Kind of like a kid who is in love but doesn't know how to approach his dear. So he learns by mistakes.

And one more observation.
There has been a tremendous amount of Kyrie stories, almost every day you see a new one. I explain it as: It is so as he is magnetic and fans dissect him. They can't get enough. They dissect cause they care.
You won't see Lillard or Kemba getting the same treatment. They are good but not Kyrie by this standard.
Really great post and I was thinking the same thing with Lillard. 

Part of this, which I can't really fault Kyrie for, is that all this acts as publicity for the Kyrie Irving brand.  Dude makes 14 million per year in endorsements and being in the public eye constantly is good for business.  You don't see Lillard get the same amount of attention.  This is also why I think Boston makes a ton of sense for Davis.  Playing for Boston gets you a ton of attention.  He wants to win, but he also wants to play somewhere where he'll be relevant.  Kyrie proves that a superstar in Boston will absolutely be relevant.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 07:24:02 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2019, 07:21:01 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
People want the Knicks and Lakers to be relevant so bad.

The Celtics have done it right and have won trades and drafting Brown and Tatum.

Other teams fans and media know if Boston lands AD, they could run off several titles.

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2019, 08:03:31 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
People want the Knicks and Lakers to be relevant so bad.

Let's be honest the Knicks have not always been relevant despite the media narrative.  They have always been a low B, High C franchise whereas us and LA are A's.

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2019, 10:28:16 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I'd rather start ripping into Stevens for his wacky rotations. Why in the **** is Jaylen Brown only playing ~25 minutes and taking 9 shots when he's feeling it?

Thank you. I didn't want to be the one to complain this morning. Celts lost another game last night they should've won.

Why was Yabu even playing?
Why don't we ever try to ride Tatum?
Tatum and Brown had it going but again the ball is in Kyries hands too much. To go 9-27 is ridiculous.

Offense needs to run through Horford more...that is what develops ball movement. I always wonder will Kyrie pass the ball in the final moments and my question was answered....NO. Horford drains that shot if given the ball.🤷🏾‍♂️

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2019, 11:55:55 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Tldr: Confirmation bias.

There are some people that will never change their mind regardless of overall data, and cling to solitary instances. Sometimes it’s a simple: he had a bad game so I’m right he’s bad, or he had a good game so Im right he’s good. Sometimes the same exact event can be viewed completely different based on your preconceptions. For example, I believe that in big games Kyrie has to carry the late game offensively and see Kyrie jogging down the court because he played a lot of minutes and was conserving. Someone else who has already determined that Kyrie is a (insert here), will see that he’s quit on the team.

This is pretty much it, TP. It's very easy to see the people whose minds are already made up one way or another and they choose to interpret things they see in ways that validate that viewpoint. Some humans just don't like other humans - it doesn't have to be rational, in fact most often it isn't.

Yep. A lot of it is emotional. There are legitimate reasons to critique and complain about any player but I think the kind of hate Roy is asking about in the OP is coming from people who are reacting emotionally and don't realize it.

I am emotionally invested in Marcus Smart. I try to be as unbiased as I can be but I also understand that my love for his game (and, honestly, him as a person) makes that impossible so I try to just be aware of it.

There are posters who will try like heck to find logical and statistical reasons to defend their emotional reactions and won't acknowledge that the bashing is coming from something inside themselves.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008