Author Topic: Rondo the next Jason Kidd?  (Read 4619 times)

Rondo the next Jason Kidd?
« on: February 13, 2009, 11:50:19 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Heh... I usually scoff at young Celtic players being compared to superstars.  I've certainly made fun of a lot of homers and their wild comparisons.

Jiri Welsch was the next Hondo
Brandon Wallace was a short Kevin Garnett
Brandon Hunter was the next Barkley
Gerald Green was the next TMac
Kendrick Perkins > Hakeem

And then of course every single young point guard who ever wore Celtic green was compared to Jason Kidd for some reason.  Orien Greene, Marcus Banks... even Chris Herron.   All you had to do was put up like 7+ assists in a game (summerleague counts) and you got compared to Jason Kidd.

But gee... how bout that Rondo?  Maybe he actually has the potential to put up those kind of numbers.  Probably will never be as great a passer, though.

I wanted to check out Kidd's stats at age 22.

Rondo:  33.5 minutes, 11.2 points, 8.5 assists, 5.4 rebounds, 2 steals ... 50% FG

Kidd (at 22):  37.5 minutes, 16.6 points, 9.7 assists, 6.8 rebounds, 2.2 steals ... 38% FG

If you project Rondo's stats to 37.5 minutes you get:

12.6 points, 9.6 assists, 6.1 rebounds, 2.2 steals 

Pretty similar... and that obviously doesn't factor in the fact that Rondo's stats have been slowly inching up as the season progresses.

Worthy of comparison or more blatant homerism? 

Re: Rondo the next Jason Kidd?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 12:03:55 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Heh... I usually scoff at young Celtic players being compared to superstars.  I've certainly made fun of a lot of homers and their wild comparisons.

Jiri Welsch was the next Hondo
Brandon Wallace was a short Kevin Garnett
Brandon Hunter was the next Barkley
Gerald Green was the next TMac
Kendrick Perkins > Hakeem

And then of course every single young point guard who ever wore Celtic green was compared to Jason Kidd for some reason.  Orien Greene, Marcus Banks... even Chris Herron.   All you had to do was put up like 7+ assists in a game (summerleague counts) and you got compared to Jason Kidd.

But gee... how bout that Rondo?  Maybe he actually has the potential to put up those kind of numbers.  Probably will never be as great a passer, though.

I wanted to check out Kidd's stats at age 22.

Rondo:  33.5 minutes, 11.2 points, 8.5 assists, 5.4 rebounds, 2 steals ... 50% FG

Kidd (at 22):  37.5 minutes, 16.6 points, 9.7 assists, 6.8 rebounds, 2.2 steals ... 38% FG

If you project Rondo's stats to 37.5 minutes you get:

12.6 points, 9.6 assists, 6.1 rebounds, 2.2 steals 

Pretty similar... and that obviously doesn't factor in the fact that Rondo's stats have been slowly inching up as the season progresses.

Worthy of comparison or more blatant homerism? 

Man, and to think someone might draft him in the 2nd round of a fantasy GM draft. ;)

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 12:42:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Heck yeah, KCat... way too high when that person could have had D Rose at the bottom of the 2nd round... like me :)

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 04:57:23 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
if Rondo played 38+ minutes per game he would have way more triple doubles and people would look at him as a better player, we would also win more games because he would be running the 2nd unit as well with Eddie off the ball.

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 05:13:41 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
if Rondo played 38+ minutes per game he would have way more triple doubles and people would look at him as a better player, we would also win more games because he would be running the 2nd unit as well with Eddie off the ball.

This has been probably my biggest complaint on Doc this season: using Eddie at point.  I much prefer Rondo or Gabe. 

Now back to the OP -- I think the comparisons between Kidd and Rondo are justified, I don't think you are being a homer.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 05:14:17 PM »

Offline USG

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 161

This is definitely something that needs to happen, but still, "the next Jason Kidd"? That's a bit much, no?

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 05:23:20 PM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186
no way.

Love Rondo but in his early career and prime, Jason Kidd was the closest to Magic and Oscar regarding a complete game that the league had seen in some time.
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 05:31:55 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Just to complement the info from the OP: with 22 years old Jason Kidd was a sophomore. He was also playing in a team where his scorers were guys like Jim Jackson, Popeye Jones and George McCloud - making him one of the top targets of the opponents defence. I can't remember a single team using Kidd's defender as a centerfield.

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 05:33:22 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Simply put, yes. Minus the posting up

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 06:00:42 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Although the numbers are similar Jason Kidd, and Rondo's games aren't really similar at all. I think Tony Parker is Rondo's best comparison. While Parker is a better scorer, Rondo is already better in all other areas. Rondo hasn't even tried to be a scorer yet so the points will come. Rondo will be a better player than Parker, when it's all said and done. He's already more accomplished than Kidd. :D

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 06:11:09 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
sometimes i think rondo is just a wee bit overrated. for instance i don't think he was an all star this year. not when teams(only the best teams)can almost completely ignore you in the halfcourt. but if rondo ever gets a jumpshot it's over. completely unguardable. there would have to a new phenom coming in cuz i don't think there would be anyone to stop him. i don't know how realistic it is for rondo to be able to get a jumper. in the 1980's  rondo would have been even more effective because there were plenty of guards who could'nt shoot the 3 well. now it's almost a requirement. if he never gets one i would guess he'd still make an all star team or two.

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 06:30:06 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Kidd's scoring numbers at age 22 were an aberration. Mashburn, the Mav's leading scorer, was injured for almost the entire season. Kidd had the 2nd highest scoring rate of his career at that age. Rondo's scoring at a higher rate than Kidd did at 23 or 24.

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 06:41:39 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
No. I don't think Rondo will ever be the Hall Of Fame player that Kidd is.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 06:51:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Kidd's scoring numbers at age 22 were an aberration. Mashburn, the Mav's leading scorer, was injured for almost the entire season. Kidd had the 2nd highest scoring rate of his career at that age. Rondo's scoring at a higher rate than Kidd did at 23 or 24.

Well Kidd's career numbers are 37.2 minutes, 14 points, 9.2 assists, 6.7 rebounds, 2 steals on 40% shooting... which is certainly close to what Rondo is putting up right now if you projected him to that many minutes.

But it's true... Rondo certainly has a lot more offensive weapons to pass to than Kidd had.

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 06:56:29 PM »

Offline FanInTheSouth

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 4
I'm going to have to say yes and no.  Yes, I think that Rondo will be a threat for a triple double any night of the week in a few years, much like Kidd.  But I don't think their games are really similar.  I think that the difference in size really makes any comparison between the two a stretch.