Author Topic: Rondo and Celtics now 2-0 on the PG Road Trip From Hell.  (Read 16348 times)

Rondo and Celtics now 2-0 on the PG Road Trip From Hell.
« on: February 13, 2009, 04:02:09 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Celtics came back big time last night from a 15 point deficit and went to 2-0 on this last real tough road trip of the season. Kudos have to go out to the Captain who was his usual 4th quarter, Mr Clutch, best player on the planet when it matters the most. Also, I think even though he wasn't there, Doc was brilliant in realizing that after the recent span of horrible refereeing against his team that the C's needed something to rally around and he provided that with an ejection that the team used as motivation for the comeback. Ray Allen, hurt thumb and all, dropped 20 and was great.

But, in my mind, the story of this game was Rajon Rondo's triple double. He has been up at home all year and down on the road. Except so far, on this trip, he has been the Celtics' best player. Rondo followed up a solid 6 point, 11 assist, 8 rebound, 1 steal night with his second career triple double. And this was no cheapy either, 19 points, 15 rebounds, 14 assists, and another steal.

The story though isn't just that he is shining or that he is having a great beginning of a road trip or that he is shining while on a road trip. The story is that he is shining  on a raod trip where he will be playing against what some could say was the league's best point guards. Yes, this is definitely the Road Trip From PG Hell. The Celtics and Rondo have successfully defeated the Hornets and Paul and the Mavs and Kidd. Rondo besting those two PGs easily. He outquicked and outpassed one of the quickest and best passing PG's in the league. He then dropped a triple double on Mr. Triple Double, Jason Kidd, in beating Kidd and the Mavs.

And after the break Rondo and the Celtics still have, Utah and Deron Williams, Denver and Chauncey Billups, Phoenix and Steve Nash and LA and Baron Davis. Here's hoping that Rondo continues to dominate against possibly the 6 best PGs that the NBA could throw against Rondo in one road trip. Here's hoping that he continues to dominate these PGs to show what a collosal mistake it was not to put him on the All Star squad. Here's hoping that he continues to give the Phoenix Suns owner ulcers thinking what could have been if he wasn't a cheap dastard and decided to sell the best up and coming PG for pennies. Here's hoping that Rondo continues to prove that the Celtics have their own Fantastic Four and not just a Big Three.

I love Rondo and always have, I don't think that is a very well kept secret. I wish my friend MikeDfromNP was still active here so that he could help me gloat about our Rondo love. But I think even we my have underestimated just how good this kid is going to be.

Just thought I'd lay out my early prediction of Rajon Rondo as your 2009 NBA Finals MVP. Book it now, you heard it here first. After dominating during this Road Trip From PG Hell, Rondo is going to be solidly and consistently spectacular the rest of the year and will lead this team to another championship. And at 23, he will have two rings and a Finals MVP.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 04:07:28 AM by nickagneta »

Re: Rondo and Celtics now 2-0 on the PG Road Trip From Hell.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 06:21:45 AM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Whilst i loved your post, Tp for it, and have a soft spot for Rondo, he has had some great stretches before that have been followed by disastrous ones.

He has been that Jeckyl/Hyde type player all his career. Its common for players in this league to struggle when their confidence is down, but the true great ones, like Jason Kidd and Chris Paul, never lose confidence.

Rondo has to conquer the mental aspect of the game before he can be categorised as a top 5 point in this league.  Winning and starring on our championship last season has had great benefits, but its almost like it will take another one this year or next for Rondo to truly believe.

The big 3 have always had that confidence - i guess thats why they're the big 3.  This year, i expected to see "it" from Perk and Rondo too.  I definately see it in Perk (even though his game does have limitations), but only get glimpses from Rajon.

Here's hoping this trip helps him accomplish it.

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 09:17:11 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
He's already great, yet I feel like theres still unlimited potential there and so much room to grow...hes special
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 09:22:43 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Every time this kind of posts start being made about Rondo, he enters a bad stretch of games. It's a variation of the "SI cover jinx" - he's just regressing to the mean.

I agree with Slugger: Rondo is still too wildly inconsistent and unreliable to be put on the top-tier class of PGs in the league. And if he was playing for a team where he was the best player or the 2nd best player, like many other top PGs are, I doubt people would see him as a future perennial AS.

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 09:22:51 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Rondo's numbers were sick last night! 8)

He's definitely going to be a great one.

"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 09:28:24 AM »

• Don Chaney
Every time this kind of posts start being made about Rondo, he enters a bad stretch of games. It's a variation of the "SI cover jinx" - he's just regressing to the mean.

I agree with Slugger: Rondo is still too wildly inconsistent and unreliable to be put on the top-tier class of PGs in the league. And if he was playing for a team where he was the best player or the 2nd best player, like many other top PGs are, I doubt people would see him as a future perennial AS.

Rondo has not been "wildy" inconsistent, he really hasnt been anymore inconsistent then most players in the league...And I think his numbers would be alot better on a bad team as a 1-3 option..not vice versa
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 09:37:46 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Rondo has not been "wildy" inconsistent, he really hasnt been anymore inconsistent then most players in the league...And I think his numbers would be alot better on a bad team as a 1-3 option..not vice versa

Of course he has been inconsistent, there were some series of games where he was a tremendous liability on the floor. Heck, we had plenty of "Why is Rondo regressing?" threads here.

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 09:44:09 AM »

• Don Chaney

Of course he has been inconsistent, there were some series of games where he was a tremendous liability on the floor. Heck, we had plenty of "Why is Rondo regressing?" threads here.

I remember him starting off the season very badly, and the "regressed" comments started then, but since hes been either good or great...he can be a liability on the floor because other teams gameplans revolve around rondo...that must mean hes good! ...Id say all the celtics have been inconsistent, and rondo no more  than others

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 09:55:47 AM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
One thing that is really cool to see is that Rondo seems to get up for competition.  He seems to always have his best games against top point guards, as if he is trying to prove something and is more inconsistent against normal point guards.  This is different than playing down to competition, though.

(I could be wrong about him having his best games against good PGs, I'm going just from memory.  If someone else has numbers to back this up or refute it, I'd be interested)

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 10:06:59 AM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 63

I remember him starting off the season very badly, and the "regressed" comments started then, but since hes been either good or great...he can be a liability on the floor because other teams gameplans revolve around rondo...that must mean hes good! ...Id say all the celtics have been inconsistent, and rondo no more  than others

By revolve around Rondo do you mean, refuse to cover him when he is more then 8 feet from the basket and use his man to jump the picks Ray curls off of, or clog the lane that PP is trying to drive into or double down on KG in the gray areas?

Rondo is a very good young player with some very obvious weaknesses. If he ever develops a 10 ft j that is consistent he could score 20 a game in his sleep. But that is a big if at the moment. He still makes quite a few bad decisions offensively and defensively, but he is also only 22.

It was great to see him sticking jumpers last night, but saying he is definitely going to be a great is a big leap. It will be interesting to see where he is in 5 years. There is a hugely high ceiling for him, hope he reaches it - or he could be basically the same super quick all around player who is not a star and never fixed his liabilities.

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 10:30:49 AM »

• Don Chaney

By revolve around Rondo do you mean, refuse to cover him when he is more then 8 feet from the basket and use his man to jump the picks Ray curls off of, or clog the lane that PP is trying to drive into or double down on KG in the gray areas?

Rondo is a very good young player with some very obvious weaknesses. If he ever develops a 10 ft j that is consistent he could score 20 a game in his sleep. But that is a big if at the moment. He still makes quite a few bad decisions offensively and defensively, but he is also only 22.

It was great to see him sticking jumpers last night, but saying he is definitely going to be a great is a big leap. It will be interesting to see where he is in 5 years. There is a hugely high ceiling for him, hope he reaches it - or he could be basically the same super quick all around player who is not a star and never fixed his liabilities.

Yawn...Rondo is already a hell of a basketball player without a jumpshot, he has obvious weaknesses and obvious strengths, just like every other player in the league
teams around the league have to dare him to take that jumpshot, not only because he isnt a great shooter, but because he'll just blow right by you if you dont... Josh Howard, Barrera, Jason Kidd all took turns guarding him last night, i scratch my head when people just say hes not being guarded the entire game
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 10:36:50 AM by TatteredOnMySleeve »

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 10:34:10 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

mavs tried this all last night, how did that work out?

Think j-kidd is still tasting those 2 18 footers rondo nailed in his face in crunch time?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 10:37:29 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Yawn...Rondo is already a hell of a basketball player without a jumpshot, he has obvious weaknesses and obvious strengths, just like every other player in the league

Rondo's weaknesses are too obvious compared with the true great players in the league.

Think j-kidd is still tasting those 2 18 footers rondo nailed in his face in crunch time?

What does the fact that almost every team does it tells you? That NBA coaches are completely dumb or that it pays off?

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 10:39:17 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Rondo's weaknesses are too obvious compared with the true great players in the league.

What does the fact that almost every team does it tells you? That NBA coaches are completely dumb or that it pays off?

I think that by seasons end Coaches will hesitate to use it because Rondo's shot will fall with more consistency, but may have to because it still might be slightly more effective then not having a defender to double team at all times.

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 10:44:11 AM »

• Don Chaney

Not really, arguably the best player in the league isnt a great jumpshooter either