Author Topic: What if Tinsley is bought out/cut?  (Read 5575 times)

What if Tinsley is bought out/cut?
« on: February 11, 2009, 11:14:26 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
With word that the Charlotte trade is falling apart, and the players association filing a grievance on Tinsley's behalf, that could force the Pacers to cut him or buy him out if he is not traded, would the C's be interested in him?

Now lets be clear, this is only if he is bought out, and is willing to sign for the rest of the season at small money (similar situation to Marbury).

Personally, I think the C's should and would go after him hard (although he will have a lot of suitors I think in that situation).  He brings a lot of the same things as Marbury, but is a better defender, tougher competitor, and (slightly) less crazy.

I think its a longshot that he is actually bought out before March 1st (deadline for him to be cut from a team, if he wants to be on a playoff roster), but there absolutely is a possibility. 

Re: What if Tinsley is bought out/cut?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 11:18:50 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I really like Tinsley's game.  If Tinsley is in the mood to actually play and compete I'd take him over Marbury any day.  The guy is great at running an offense and he used to be an excellent defender.

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 11:31:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
With word that the Charlotte trade is falling apart, and the players association filing a grievance on Tinsley's behalf, that could force the Pacers to cut him or buy him out if he is not traded, would the C's be interested in him?

Now lets be clear, this is only if he is bought out, and is willing to sign for the rest of the season at small money (similar situation to Marbury).

Personally, I think the C's should and would go after him hard (although he will have a lot of suitors I think in that situation).  He brings a lot of the same things as Marbury, but is a better defender, tougher competitor, and (slightly) less crazy.

I think its a longshot that he is actually bought out before March 1st (deadline for him to be cut from a team, if he wants to be on a playoff roster), but there absolutely is a possibility. 
He'd be a great fit for the stretch run to the season. A much better fit than Marbury.

I don't think it is that likely to happen but it would be nice.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 11:36:12 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I would like him coming off the bench, but I don't think he's play here when someone else would offer him the opportunity to play more this year and potentially start the next. 
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 11:36:54 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Do you think Tinsley is a better defender than Marbury? I don't agree at all. Marbury was guilty of not always putting the effort, but he was able to defend when he cared. Tinsley also has the habit of coasting but he isn't a good defender even when trying, just a happy-go-lucky type, who hacks a lot the ball-handler. Slightly less crazy? Maybe, but Tinsley craziness is more dangerous and repugnant than Marbury's one, I think. It's a Morton's Fork anyway.  

I say no. The problem we have is that it's difficult for this team, as presently constructed, to have a backup PG who can't shoot from the outside, unless he's someone who can offer a lot of other things. I don't think Tinsley does that. He's an extremely ball dominant pg, he's useless off-the-ball, he's very bad finishing plays, he lacks character, he was always a loser, he's an extremely selfish player... On the top of that, he'd probably be injured every other week.

Let me add I don't think he'll be cut. At least, not by the Pacers.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 11:44:40 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Some of the experts such as Ford and Hollinger had Tinsley ranked as the number one defender at the point guard position a few years ago.  I never even heard marbury mentioned as even good.  But that was a few years ago, obviously Tinsley could have lost a step since then.

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 12:16:52 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I really like Tinsley's game.  If Tinsley is in the mood to actually play and compete I'd take him over Marbury any day.  The guy is great at running an offense and he used to be an excellent defender.

Why would a championship team consider picking up a player based on the criteria that they're hopeful he'd be in the mood to play for them?

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 02:14:47 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Why would a championship team consider picking up a player based on the criteria that they're hopeful he'd be in the mood to play for them?

It think 'in the mood' doesn't describe Tinsley.

More like if his body isn't hurt, he is a good pickup.

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 10:38:59 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
No way. Why isn't he playing? Could it be that he's trouble? Larry Bird knows people and Tinsley is not playing for a reason.

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 11:11:36 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Do you think Tinsley is a better defender than Marbury?

Far better; better off the ball, a better rebounder, more consistent effort; also a savvy team defender with great hands (1.7 steals per, career average). Tinsley is open to plenty of criticism, ball-dominating point guard, lousy shooter, questionable conditioning, off court distraction (although no more so than a dozen other guys); so let's be judicious.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 11:16:57 AM by The Walker Wiggle »

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 11:25:26 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I'd feel better about Tinsley than about Marbury, but that'd [dang]ing with the faintest praise possible.  Tinsley, when healhy, has been a pretty good player but he's a nutcase.  He *might* be able to fit into the C's with their veteran leadership, but don't he and Pierce have some, uh...  rather negative history between them? 

I don't think we're in a position to judge.  If Tinsley is serious about wanting to play, and is willing to make the sacrifies to come in for 15 minutes a game, run the offense, play D, not be an ****, he could help out a LOT.  But, there's no way for us to judge where his head is at right now.  Is he willing to take a step back?  If he were to come in, play hard, play well, be a good teammate, he's young enough and talented enough where he could parlay that into a good situation for himself down the road. 

But, we don't know where he's at mentally.

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 12:04:54 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Could someone explain under what grounds Tinsley has to file a grievance?

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 12:15:48 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Could someone explain under what grounds Tinsley has to file a grievance?

Well, Indiana's paying him under his current contract, but by not being on the court they're hurting his chances of landing a lucrative contract down the road.  Hypothetically, if Tinsely were allowed to play and played at the level he's capable of (assuming - big assumption in this case) that has was healthy, he's an MLE-level player at least.  Not an All-Star, but he's got the talent of a legitimate NBA starter.

What kind of contract would he get now if he were a free agent?  If the Pacers never allow him on the court again, what kind of dollars is he looking at when he's negotiating with a new team?

Indiana's fulfulling their obligations (they're cutting him a check every two weeks), but they're hurting his long-term employment opportunties.

Now, whether they're justified in doing so is the question...

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 12:17:10 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
dude is really talented. but maybe dangerous? right? were'nt people shooting at this guy in his car or somethin? i forget.

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 12:18:59 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Tinsley, if he's playing like he can, would be an upgrade over House and Pruitt, but not necessarily an upgrade over Cassell if Cassell is playing like he did 2 years ago. 

It'd be nice to see what Cassell can do so we can gauge what we need. 

Maybe Ainge and Doc know and just don't want to show anyone yet.