Author Topic: Another reason to hate Phil Jackson and the Lakers  (Read 6329 times)

Re: Another reason to hate Phil Jackson and the Lakers
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 04:09:14 PM »

Offline CeltsGM21

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 25

His mind games didn't work when it really counted.  In the Finals.

Phil was exposed in the last two finals series he coached. He was out coached by Larry Brown and Doc Rivers. He was out coached badly with arguably better teams.

Exactly, which is why I think he is an overrated coach with an oversized mouth and ego.  The point is, we are the reigning NBA Champions by way of Jackson and his fellow crybabies.  That is what I try to keep coming back to when I need some relief-- no matter what people say about this year's Celtics, we are still the Champs.  Period.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 04:15:19 PM by CeltsGM21 »

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 11:18:53 PM »

Offline Discoflux

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 22
Did anyone else catch this classy quote from Phil Jackson in the Herald today?

Though the Lakers spent an extra three days in Boston before flying to Cleveland for yesterday’s game, coach Phil Jackson apparently still considers the city a distasteful place to play a basketball game.

Asked about Rivers’ fine before the game against Cleveland, Jackson said, “Is that all?”

“It should have been more,” he said. “That’s Boston. That’s always been Boston. It just goes along with the product.”

As if we needed another reason to hate Jackson and the Lakers.

That reminds me of Ray Allen after the Finals last year accepting an Espy award.  Ray says "Wow, another win in LA".

Now THAT's Classy.

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 11:28:28 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
"He and Kobe are the perfect pair."
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:29:04 PM by Wide Load »
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 04:46:12 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Did anyone else catch this classy quote from Phil Jackson in the Herald today?

Though the Lakers spent an extra three days in Boston before flying to Cleveland for yesterday’s game, coach Phil Jackson apparently still considers the city a distasteful place to play a basketball game.

Asked about Rivers’ fine before the game against Cleveland, Jackson said, “Is that all?”

“It should have been more,” he said. “That’s Boston. That’s always been Boston. It just goes along with the product.”

As if we needed another reason to hate Jackson and the Lakers.

That reminds me of Ray Allen after the Finals last year accepting an Espy award.  Ray says "Wow, another win in LA".

Now THAT's Classy.

That was the worst sleaze you
could find on Ray? Thanks  for
proving he IS indeed classy.

Talk to the sig, Laker Lover.
The hand and face ain't listenin'!

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 11:30:55 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
"He and Kobe are the perfect pair."

A perfect pair of testicles they are.  Okay, maybe that was too much.

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 07:02:06 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i started another post on this somewhere. i'm shocked there is'nt more coverage of that comment. anyone who makes a comment like that and does'nt apologize can NOT BE TRUSTED. imagine your dad or you're kid made that comment. i'm not good with words but the best i can come up with is a complete lack of honor.

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 07:10:58 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i'll add that if doc or another coach ever made that comment (it could only be when they were heated) they would apologize later on expressing genuine embarassment and regret. many would probably apologize to their family saying they did'nt raise somebody like that.

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 07:22:36 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
i'll add that if doc or another coach ever made that comment (it could only be when they were heated) they would apologize later on expressing genuine embarassment and regret. many would probably apologize to their family saying they did'nt raise somebody like that.

TP, very, very true.

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 07:32:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Wow, I didn't think I needed any more reasons to hate Phil and the Lakers other than that they sucked and were Phil and the Lakers.

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 01:18:57 PM »

Offline Discoflux

• Sam Hauser
There isn't any arguing PJax is anything but the greatest coach in history.  It would be like saying you hate Muhammad Ali or The Beatles.  If you could trade PJ for Doc head's up you would do it in a Boston Baked Beans minute.  Phil has been on his game this year, his rotations have been brilliant and he's been managing games better than anyone in the league.  Arnold Auerbach is sure, probably the second best coach ever, but you gotta give Phil his props.  Phil's got 10 rings now to Arnold's 9 and he'll have 13 or 14 total before he retires.  I love Phil because he works his team hard in practice, then treats them like men on the court.  He lets his players work out of jams which engenders a unique team spirit.  And the zen thing is brilliant because he manages the player respecting their mind as well as body/athleticism.

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 01:29:52 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
If you could trade PJ for Doc head's up you would do it in a Boston Baked Beans minute.

Well let's review their head to head World Championships:

Doc: 1   Phil: 0
Whoops, Phil lost that one.

Phil has been on his game this year
So you are suggesting the only reason the Laker lost last year is because "Phil *wasn't* on his game?  Not a "no Bynum" excuse?

;) :D
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 03:05:35 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
There isn't any arguing PJax is anything but the greatest coach in history.  It would be like saying you hate Muhammad Ali or The Beatles.  If you could trade PJ for Doc head's up you would do it in a Boston Baked Beans minute.  Phil has been on his game this year, his rotations have been brilliant and he's been managing games better than anyone in the league.  Arnold Auerbach is sure, probably the second best coach ever, but you gotta give Phil his props.  Phil's got 10 rings now to Arnold's 9 and he'll have 13 or 14 total before he retires.  I love Phil because he works his team hard in practice, then treats them like men on the court.  He lets his players work out of jams which engenders a unique team spirit.  And the zen thing is brilliant because he manages the player respecting their mind as well as body/athleticism.

Phil has 9 championships. 

Look, I hate Phil Jackson.  I think he's a smug, arrogant &rick.  I do not buy the notion though that he's not a great coach because he's always had great players.  He's been able to balance some very strong egos and there's no doubt he should be mentioned with some of the greatest to coach the game. 

That being said, I think "greatest coach" should be judged not only by success but to their contribution to the game as well.  Red Auerbach created strategies and concepts that have become fundamentals of the game:  the sixth man and the fast break to name just a couple.  These are things so basic and fundamental to us that we take for granted that someone had to come up with these ideas.  Just because the wheel is so common in our everyday lives should not diminish the importance of the invention.  Red created and utilized these concepts which not only translated to success on the court but changed the game forever.  What will be remembered as Phil's contribution when he leaves the game (and remember - Tex Winter created the triangle)?

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 06:54:35 PM by RMO »

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2009, 03:22:19 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
What will be remembered as Phil's contribution when he leaves the game (and remember - Tex Winter created the triangle)?

Calling out Vlade Divac for flopping.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2009, 08:11:12 PM »

Offline Discoflux

• Sam Hauser
What will be remembered as Phil's contribution when he leaves the game (and remember - Tex Winter created the triangle)?

Calling out Vlade Divac for flopping.

haha, EVERYONE called out Vlade for flopping.  He was the absolute worst, especially considering his size.  So many funny slo mo replays of him getting 'brushed' and doing a back hand spring flop.  There was even a "Floppy Divac Doll" fans used to bring to the arena. 

Anyway, Phil will be remembered for being a great tactician, a great mental magician, utilizing the triangle (its ok that Tex invented it, Phil coined it), and for being the greatest winner in NBA history.  In short, there isn't any other coach I would want coaching the Lakers right now.

Doc has his style but time has yet to tell how great he will be.  The only active coach in Phil's general league of greatness would be Adelman or Sloan.   

Phil has 10 rings because he won one as a player.  Ok, so maybe that's cheating a little :)  Yes, Phil has had good players...but what did Arnold have, a bunch of scrubs?  I don't know Celtic history too well but I believe he had some guy named Russell.

Doc is up 1-0 on Phil right now... haha ok, I'll give you that one for now, but just get back to the Finals so we can even that up in '09!!

Phil isn't really an arrogant pri..  he's a very intelligent, well read, dyed in the wool NBA genius who does play some mind games and does incorporate some zen style into his game... but I love that about him.  His interviews are great, he answers questions at their root level unlike most coaches who just give you cliches and non-descriptions that you or I could throw out at a conference. 

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2009, 11:27:43 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Red Auerbach won 9 championships while taking great older vets and mixing them with young talent that he eventually created into all-time greats. Auerbach developed and grew his 9 championships and then proceeded to preside over 7 mopre championships that he again helped to put together with intelligent drafting and crafty trades.

Phil Jackson has only ever developed one superstar in all his coaching days. 9 championships and Scottie Pippen is the only player Jackson can say that he developed into the player he was. And I don't want to hear about Kobe because he was already a three year vet, an All Star and averaging 20 points per game when Jackson got there. So Jackson is a great coach who happens to be adept at winning championships when given two of the top 3 players playing on the planet at any given time.

Auerbach never one even one championship with the best player on the planet playing for his club ever. Wilt was the best player playing during those Red championships. A case could be made that Oscar Robertson and Jerry West were in the top 3 players playing in that generation of players as well. Auerbach had outstanding players but it was his development of players, his keen sense of bringing out the best in players and maxing out their capabilities, and his, at that time, unique coaching style and style of play that will always make him the greatest coach in NBA history bar none.

And that doesn't matter who holds the record for most championships won or most games won. Red could very well have coached another decade if he had wanted to. And if he had, foirget it, there isn't a coach ever that would have caught up to his records. He very well could have added another 500 wins and 4 more championships if he had not stepped back when he did.