Author Topic: Free Agency 2019: Kemba Walker the target or who else?  (Read 3664 times)

Re: Free Agency 2019: Kemba Walker the target or who else?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2019, 10:22:58 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
After the Kemba signing, maybe a trade for Myles Turner?

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2019, 10:44:31 AM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
I think the Celtics have their eyes set on acquiring a center by two potential means:

1. Using the League Exception ($9,073,050). My gut tells me DeMarcus Cousins is that target but not sure if the market will dictate a larger salary for him. Alternative: Enes Kanter
2. A trade involving Jaylen Brown and other pieces to acquire a bigger name asset (Maybe a S&T of Vucevic from Orlando).

PG: Kemba Walker
SG: Jaylen Brown (insert Marcus Smart if JB goes out in trade)
SF: Gordon Hayward
PF: Jayson Tatum
C: DeMarcus Cousins or Nikola Vucevic

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2019, 12:45:28 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Isn’t kemba essentially another kyrie?  How would he fit I with Tatum and jaylen?  Not that I think we should only be focused on those two guys, but I certainly don’t want a repeat of last year.

He HAD to be the focus of his team because every one else wasnt good and they stull sniffed the playoffs every year. Hornets only won 10 less than the Cs and just missed the playoffs.

Plus hes a solid locker room guy and has never won. Hes going to be motivated
I hope you're right but I'm seeing a poor man's Kyrie.  Appears to be less efficient, smaller, inferior distributor, and rebounder based on the stats.

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2019, 12:52:38 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Isn’t kemba essentially another kyrie?  How would he fit I with Tatum and jaylen?  Not that I think we should only be focused on those two guys, but I certainly don’t want a repeat of last year.

He HAD to be the focus of his team because every one else wasnt good and they stull sniffed the playoffs every year. Hornets only won 10 less than the Cs and just missed the playoffs.

Plus hes a solid locker room guy and has never won. Hes going to be motivated
I hope you're right but I'm seeing a poor man's Kyrie.  Appears to be less efficient, smaller, inferior distributor, and rebounder based on the stats.
He’s an inferior talent to Irving so you have to hope his superior leadership abilities, character and hopefully receptiveness to coaching make for a better mix.

I’m skeptical you can properly develop the Jays with both of them fighting for touches with kemba and Hayward. I’m also skeptical we can sufficiently address the big man issue with 4.5 mil in space and the room MLE
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2019, 01:03:24 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Kemba doesn’t need the ball in his hands as much to be effective.  Kyrie is way more ball dominant.  Talent when it can’t be harnessed effectively in the team flow is wasted.  Kemba is a better fit for the Celtics system.  If he put up 25 for the hornets he might exceed that number in brads system.

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2019, 01:25:55 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think the Celtics have their eyes set on acquiring a center by two potential means:

1. Using the League Exception ($9,073,050). My gut tells me DeMarcus Cousins is that target but not sure if the market will dictate a larger salary for him. Alternative: Enes Kanter
2. A trade involving Jaylen Brown and other pieces to acquire a bigger name asset (Maybe a S&T of Vucevic from Orlando).

I'd be fine with that team. Cousins can be a loose cannon some times, but he keeps it pretty together when he's playing with a coach he respects, and I can see him Respecting Stevens. If Stevens can get Cousins to buy into the D, he's not quite as good as Horford on D, but size can help him, better scorer and can pass and is willing to.

NY has been reported in going after him if they strike out on KD and Irving, but Cousins may want to sign an other 1and1 to get his value even higher next summer. Unless NY throws a ridiculous amount of money at him. Just depends on if he's looking at a payday right now, or rings. He's in a weird situation, where he's still young, but came off the injury so who knows how much longer he can play at a high level. It's either money to set himself up for the rest of his life, and worry about ring chasing later, or ring now, and maybe money will follow that.

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2019, 01:28:29 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I'd be fine with that team. Cousins can be a loose cannon some times, but he keeps it pretty together when he's playing with a coach he respects, and I can see him Respecting Stevens. If Stevens can get Cousins to buy into the D, he's not quite as good as Horford on D, but size can help him, better scorer and can pass and is willing to.

NY has been reported in going after him if they strike out on KD and Irving, but Cousins may want to sign an other 1and1 to get his value even higher next summer. Unless NY throws a ridiculous amount of money at him. Just depends on if he's looking at a payday right now, or rings. He's in a weird situation, where he's still young, but came off the injury so who knows how much longer he can play at a high level. It's either money to set himself up for the rest of his life, and worry about ring chasing later, or ring now, and maybe money will follow that.

I would expect NY offers him a one year max level deal at that point. 

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2019, 01:37:05 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Kemba doesn’t need the ball in his hands as much to be effective.  Kyrie is way more ball dominant.  Talent when it can’t be harnessed effectively in the team flow is wasted.  Kemba is a better fit for the Celtics system.  If he put up 25 for the hornets he might exceed that number in brads system.

I like Kemba a lot and I hope we sign him, but this simply isn't true. Kemba takes more shots with less efficiency and less assists. Granted, maybe better teammates will open up his game more, but he far and away more effective with the ball in his hands.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman