Author Topic: Gerald Green gets cut from Chinese team  (Read 18060 times)

Gerald Green gets cut from Chinese team
« on: December 04, 2011, 09:20:51 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It’s slightly mind boggling to think that Gerald Green, a Celtics rookie fresh out of high school in 2005, is only 25.

It’s also sad to hear that this tremendous, entertaining athlete was cut by the Foshan Long Lions of the Chinese Basketball Association last week. His individual gifts remain considerable, but in a league that values conformity and selfless play, he simply didn’t fit.

As more American players sign contracts in the CBA, that problem becomes more apparent. As many of these players are discovering, Chinese management does not seem to value individuality, never mind high maintenance. Right, J.R. Smith?

“The team needs to stand out at the crucial time,” Green said in a prepared statement, released curiously enough by the Long Lions. “I tried to lead the team, but maybe I was not doing good enough.”

Think Green actually said or wrote that?

As Smith’s problems with the Guangdong Tigers have shown, image is hugely important for the Chinese teams.

The club’s statement added that Green “failed to fit into the tactic system of the whole team. The coach considered it again and again, and made this difficult decision in order to meet the team’s long-term needs.”

Link

Same old Gerald.  Physically gifted, with no conception of how to play the game.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Gerald Green gets cut from Chinese team
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 09:42:56 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
G.Green continues to be a huge disappointment. Awful lack of progress since moving abroad.

The chances of making a return to the NBA someday down the road just get worse and worse.

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 09:50:45 AM »

Offline TaxiDriver2500

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
  • A Legend in his own mind..
its too bad The Pacers didnt covet Greens ability to Windmill dunk on draft night. Danny Granger one pick before us....

Seriously, Gerald clearly doesnt get team concepts. We all wish he was a better NBA player but its not all flash.

Maybe the Globetrotters could give him a call?

Too much coffee and Gatorade. It's a hell of a mix. If you're ever tired in the morning, just try that mix, and tell me what you think. -Kevin Garnett

"My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the f***ing truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this."

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 09:56:31 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Maybe the Globetrotters could give him a call?

Not enough dribbling skill.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 10:16:35 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
“I tried to lead the team, but maybe I was not doing good enough.”

was he picked up to be a leader?

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 10:41:56 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
man, Gerald Green used to have all-star potential, then he took an arrow in the knee..

lol, sorry, couldn't resist.
- LilRip

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
“I tried to lead the team, but maybe I was not doing  good enough.”

was he picked up to be a leader?

Well, he certainly wasn't picked up for his skill with English grammar...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 12:11:13 PM »

Offline greenlion

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15
such an utter waste of talent and skill, in fairness with him, it was evident that he tried, the confidence level of the teams he has gotten into just didn't give him much of a chance...
"talent is not enough - I always admired the ones with heart..."

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 12:14:26 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
its too bad The Pacers didnt covet Greens ability to Windmill dunk on draft night. Danny Granger one pick before us....

I remember being so stoked on draft night, when it was clear we were either going to get Granger or Green.  Granger looked like he was NBA-ready.  Green was supposed to go #3 overall; that was all I knew about him, other than that he sounded like a complete moron when they interviewed him that night.  Aigh.

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 12:37:32 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
And they'll still be people here who will be crying to give Mr. Potential another chance....  :P

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 12:37:43 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
Who ever posted this article apparently isn't up to date with his current affairs. Gerald Green is absolutely ripping the d-league apart right now! Go to dleague.com & check out his stats & numerous articles since signing with the L.A. Defenders. I REALLY DON'T Understand the G. Green hate being he did help us get Garnett & 18! And as to Gerald, he would be our 3rd or 4th. Best player right now. We need scoring & can do that better than anyone on our team at the present except for maybe Pierce.

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 12:37:56 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This is a clear sign that Gerald's on the verge of breaking out bigtime.  Wake up Danny and get us our next HOFer! 

You've got 48 hours before I go put a cupcake on the rim outside and lure GG into dominating for my rec league team.

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 12:52:06 PM »

Offline Inside-Out

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Does he still have that great 3pt shot with the high release?

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 12:59:21 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
Does he still have that great 3pt shot with the high release?
He sure does & he was 6-9 from 3 last game. He honestly is playing great & WILL BE on someone roster contributing soon! Sure hope it would be us as our offense ills. We never score in the 100's anymore. And the Lakers can't use him as he would not get shots with Kobe around & Bynum & Gasol barely getting enough touches themselves.

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 01:08:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
And as to Gerald, he would be our 3rd or 4th. Best player right now.

This team's best days might be behind us, but I don't think we've fallen so far the a D-Leaguer would be a top rotation player for us.  Especially when that D-Leaguer is probably the third best player on his D-League team (behind Brandon Costner and Elijah Millsap).