Author Topic: Spurs (11-4) at Celtics (4-9) Game #14 11/30/14  (Read 26722 times)

Re: Spurs (11-4) at Celtics (4-9) Game #14 11/30/14
« Reply #120 on: December 01, 2014, 04:52:38 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Also, even though this has nothing to do with his on-court abilities, how in the world did he cheat on Eva Longoria?  Seriously, bro - how?

I think the word you're looking for is 'why'.  :D

Either one would do, honestly ;D.

« Reply #121 on: December 01, 2014, 04:54:15 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
When Gorman said that Duncan will always be the one that got away for C's fans...when in reality it was Parker---who was sitting there, in our laps on draft night---even Pitino (who was draft commentator) said "I think the Celtics will draft Tony Parker"---and OOPS, we draft JOE FORTE......knew it was a bad decision right when it happened.

I know that I'll likely be in the minority here, but I think that Tony Parker is overrated.  His game has always been based on his blinding speed, and he's never been a very good passer, imo.  He really just looks to score.  I mean, sure, he does have some great moves, like the spinning one where he travels but always gets away with, but he's not really a good defender, and if he isn't scoring out there, he doesn't have any impact on the game.  I'd much rather have Rondo.  A Rondo, Joe Johnson, Paul Pierce, and Kevin Garnett quartet would have been even better than Rondo, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and KG, imo, but we'll never know.  Sigh.

Also, even though this has nothing to do with his on-court abilities, how in the world did he cheat on Eva Longoria?  Seriously, bro - how?

so you're saying we did the right thing by drafting Forte.

Dear god, no lol.

« Reply #122 on: December 01, 2014, 04:56:37 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
When Gorman said that Duncan will always be the one that got away for C's fans...when in reality it was Parker---who was sitting there, in our laps on draft night---even Pitino (who was draft commentator) said "I think the Celtics will draft Tony Parker"---and OOPS, we draft JOE FORTE......knew it was a bad decision right when it happened.

I know that I'll likely be in the minority here, but I think that Tony Parker is overrated.  His game has always been based on his blinding speed, and he's never been a very good passer, imo.  He really just looks to score.  I mean, sure, he does have some great moves, like the spinning one where he travels but always gets away with, but he's not really a good defender, and if he isn't scoring out there, he doesn't have any impact on the game.  I'd much rather have Rondo.  A Rondo, Joe Johnson, Paul Pierce, and Kevin Garnett quartet would have been even better than Rondo, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and KG, imo, but we'll never know.  Sigh.

Couldn't disagree more.  You talk about a point guard who controls every aspect of a game through tempo, distribution, and scoring... this guy is the best since Isiah and he keeps getting better. 

Flashy passing is what's overrated.  Parker gets the Spurs into their sets FAST.  He resets FAST when they break down.  He creates for others, exploits weak defenders, takes care of the ball, and when all else fails he can score from anywhere.  Oh, and he can make a free throw.

WHAT? :o  That's more than a little ridiculous, imo.  How many great point guards have played since Zeke retired - Payton, Stockton, KJ, Kidd, Nash, Momma there goes that man ;) ;D, and Hardaway are a few that come to mind.

I'd also like to add that Rondo nearly averaged a triple double in the playoffs in only his 3rd year in the league as a guy who's 6'1", was the best player in series with Derrick Rose and Lebron James, and was probably the sole reason why we beat the Cavs in 2010.  They exhausted their entire team on him, and THEY COULD NOT STOP HIM.  Not even Lebron, nor could he or Wade do so when they played against the Celtics in the 2011 and 2012 postseasons.  Seriously, what games have you been watching?  The Heat tried everyone on him as well, and he still COMPLETELY DOMINATED, and yet, when Miami switched Lebron on to Parker, not only did they stop Tony from scoring, but he really had no effect on the outcome of those two series.  If he's as great as you say, why didn't he play like Rondo and exploit the mistmatch(es) that were created by having Lebron guard him?  I saw NONE OF THAT.  Even when he didn't hurt his hamstring, he was really up and down in the last two NBA Finals.  Parker can score, but he's not Rondo - not even close.  Rondo is so smart to the point that opposing coaches have admitted that they cannot 'scheme' for him (as Thibs, ask Spoelstra), as he can dominate a game without ever taking a shot, which, imo, is the definition of a great player.  Parker wasn't always a good shooter, either.  I don't know, I just consider it to be an honor to watch Rondo play, and I suggest that you at least start to appreciate him, as well, before Ainge trades him for a bucket of spare parts and at least one horrible contract.  No, he's not perfect, but he's the most unique player in the game, and I'd take him any day over Parker and twice on Sunday, but I'm pretty sure that we'll have to agree to disagree on this one lol ;D.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 05:20:14 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #123 on: December 01, 2014, 05:14:15 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Well how is pretty easy to explain. I hear they have pictures of the how on the internet. Even videos. My friend told me.

Also, Tony Parker's not overrated.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #124 on: December 01, 2014, 05:28:56 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 05:35:08 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #125 on: December 01, 2014, 05:32:46 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

That depends on how you rate him.

If you swapped Rondo and Parker, it might make SA a little worse but I don't think it would make Boston a single whit better.

Parker has only averaged more than 7 assists per game twice in his career.  He's only averaged over 20 points per page twice as well. By comparison, Chris Paul has also only averaged more than 20 points twice but his career assist average is nearly 10 a game.  Kyrie Irving has averaged more than 20 points 3 of his 4 years in the NBA and Nash had a stretch of 9 years where he averaged over 8 assists a game.

Parker is a very good scorer and a good assist guy but looks better than he is by playing a defined role in a system that isn't asking him to do more than he can.

Mike

« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2014, 05:35:22 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

That depends on how you rate him.

If you swapped Rondo and Parker, it might make SA a little worse but I don't think it would make Boston a single whit better.

Parker has only averaged more than 7 assists per game twice in his career.  He's only averaged over 20 points per page twice as well. By comparison, Chris Paul has also only averaged more than 20 points twice but his career assist average is nearly 10 a game.  Kyrie Irving has averaged more than 20 points 3 of his 4 years in the NBA and Nash had a stretch of 9 years where he averaged over 8 assists a game.

Parker is a very good scorer and a good assist guy but looks better than he is by playing a defined role in a system that isn't asking him to do more than he can.

Mike
Sure. And?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #127 on: December 01, 2014, 05:36:04 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The whole SA team passes and shares the ball.  I think he would have more APG on a traditional isolation team, but Spurs play team ball.

« Reply #128 on: December 01, 2014, 06:05:45 PM »

Offline Rondohara

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
On the 3th with 01:32
[BOS 71-73]

Then a few minutes later on the 4th

04:38
[SAS 99-80]

Scored 9 points and conceded 26, what is this?

This offense is a lie. 9 points in almost 9 minutes... No need to talk about the defense.
sometimes small sample sizes paint an inaccurate picture. let's look at the celtics offense using the entire 2014-15 season for context instead of a 9 minute chunk of time from one game.

the celtics are:
6th in the league in average points scored per game
5th in the league in fg percentage
10th in the league in adjusted field goal percentage

they are, unfortunately, 2nd worse in the league in 3 point percentage. but aside from that, the are well above league average in offense. it is the defense that is killing them more times than not. the celtics are 27th in the league in points allowed per game.

This is why I'm calling it a lie, the stats make the offense seem like it's a good one, but that's not the case. Some fluke games early in the season rose the offensive stats.

Every game there are situations like this... we're they get almost scoreless (or to be more blunt, "offense-less") for periods. In the 4th when the opposition defense close down the offense dies. The 4th quarter stats are terrible.

Offensive rating is 17th in the league.
Last 5 games we have a 6th worst offense per offensive rating, tied for 5th worst FG% and last in fouls drawn (and lead the league in pace).
Tommy is right that the referees doesn't cut us a break. But in pace we're good.

What I see people commenting and the reality of games are not compatible. It's not just defense and it's definitely not pace that it's the problem...
Goal for next season: Top 2 seed.
Say goodbye to: Turner, Zeller, Sully.

« Reply #129 on: December 01, 2014, 06:49:28 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Well how is pretty easy to explain. I hear they have pictures of the how on the internet. Even videos. My friend told me.

I was talking more about how he could have ever done so ethically, because it just doesn't make sense to me. 

Also, Tony Parker is overrated, but I guess that we'll have to agree to disagree here, and that's okay :).  No problem.

« Reply #130 on: December 01, 2014, 06:53:11 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Well, Erin Barry is not exactly chopped liver :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #131 on: December 01, 2014, 07:02:05 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1502

Well, Erin Barry is not exactly chopped liver :P

So true.  I forgot all about the Parker / Barry fiasco.  I wonder if Brent has a hard time doing the spurs highlights after all of that.

« Reply #132 on: December 01, 2014, 07:24:32 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

Couldn't disagree more.  You talk about a point guard who controls every aspect of a game through tempo, distribution, and scoring... this guy is the best since Isiah and he keeps getting better. 

Flashy passing is what's overrated.  Parker gets the Spurs into their sets FAST.  He resets FAST when they break down.  He creates for others, exploits weak defenders, takes care of the ball, and when all else fails he can score from anywhere.  Oh, and he can make a free throw.

WHAT? :o  That's more than a little ridiculous, imo.  How many great point guards have played since Zeke retired - Payton, Stockton, KJ, Kidd, Nash, Momma there goes that man ;) ;D, and Hardaway are a few that come to mind.

I'd also like to add that Rondo nearly averaged a triple double in the playoffs in only his 3rd year in the league as a guy who's 6'1", was the best player in series with Derrick Rose and Lebron James, and was probably the sole reason why we beat the Cavs in 2010.  They exhausted their entire team on him, and THEY COULD NOT STOP HIM.  Not even Lebron, nor could he or Wade do so when they played against the Celtics in the 2011 and 2012 postseasons.  Seriously, what games have you been watching?  The Heat tried everyone on him as well, and he still COMPLETELY DOMINATED, and yet, when Miami switched Lebron on to Parker, not only did they stop Tony from scoring, but he really had no effect on the outcome of those two series.  If he's as great as you say, why didn't he play like Rondo and exploit the mistmatch(es) that were created by having Lebron guard him?  I saw NONE OF THAT.  Even when he didn't hurt his hamstring, he was really up and down in the last two NBA Finals.  Parker can score, but he's not Rondo - not even close.  Rondo is so smart to the point that opposing coaches have admitted that they cannot 'scheme' for him (as Thibs, ask Spoelstra), as he can dominate a game without ever taking a shot, which, imo, is the definition of a great player.  Parker wasn't always a good shooter, either.  I don't know, I just consider it to be an honor to watch Rondo play, and I suggest that you at least start to appreciate him, as well, before Ainge trades him for a bucket of spare parts and at least one horrible contract.  No, he's not perfect, but he's the most unique player in the game, and I'd take him any day over Parker and twice on Sunday, but I'm pretty sure that we'll have to agree to disagree on this one lol ;D.
I appreciate Rondo.  Parker is just a better player.  Rondo is more "unique".  I'll grant that.  You know what you're getting with Parker though:

4 championships
~18ppg on 50% shooting
80% foul shooter
Able to create his own shot
Wins, wins, wins.  Always has.  Credit his teammates or his coach or his system or whatever, but this guy has been winning since before he was an adult.  FIBA-u18 Gold medal and MVP all the way to the current day.

Gameplanning for Rondo is easy.  Foul him, or make him shoot.

« Reply #133 on: December 01, 2014, 08:08:27 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
And Rondo is pretty much the same thing minus all the scoring...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #134 on: December 01, 2014, 08:39:24 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
And Rondo is pretty much the same thing minus all the scoring...

Rondo is a far superior rebounder, passer and has a career steal average over twice Parker's.  He's basically way better at everything than Parker except scoring.

Mike