Author Topic: Smart out up to two rounds!  (Read 21490 times)

Re: Smart out up to two rounds!
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 07:24:35 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Someone's going to have to step up.

Simply bad luck.

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 07:26:12 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Our problem has been lack of opportunity for many of our guys. Jaylen and/or Gordon are ready to step up and fill this void.

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2019, 07:26:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I hope Stevens is happy.

Just a complete buffoon. Such a failed season from Stevens.
At least we didn’t lose by double digits to Orlando ::)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2019, 07:27:24 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
Well Woj would know, he has so many inside sources on the Celtics.

the ironic thing is the source didn't come from the c's

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 07:29:02 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
SMH Brad Stevens. What a dumb decision to play our regulars even after we officially clinched the 4 seed almost an hour before the game  ::) ::) ::)

Losing Smart for one round would have been fine since I still feel confident we can get by Indiana without him. BUT a 2nd round matchup against Milwaukee without Smart? Yeah... that's where this will hurt a ton.

Hayward and Brown are going to have to step up even more, but I also imagine this means Rozier will now have a bigger role, which can either be a disaster or similar to last year's playoffs with "Scary Terry"
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2019, 07:30:40 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
This all seems odd.

Injury happened on Sunday and this is breaking on Wednesday, after Ainge went on the air this morning and said:

Danny Ainge on Marcus Smart to @Toucherandrich: "We see him as day-to-day. Hopefully, he will practice tomorrow."
Ainge on Tatum: "He's fine."

When does it take 3 days to diagnose something like this?  I feel like we'd know Smart's status Monday morning.

Maybe Ainge was trying to play mind games and purposely giving out false info when he said Smart is day-to-day?  Maybe Ainge is playing mind games now with this Woj leak?  Maybe Smart got a 2nd opinion?  Are the C's back to having a sucky medical staff?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2019, 07:31:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Another A+ job, Brad! One of our most important players gets severely injured in a meaningless game right before the playoffs because you’re a dumbass who doesn’t think, even though you had no problem resting other players costing us games while we were still in the battle for the fourth seed for some ungodly reason.  >:(

So done with Brad. It’s dumb, arbitrary, and inconsistent decisions like this that have screwed us over all season long. What a joke. The day he no longer coaches the C’s can’t come soon enough.

Smart could have gotten hurt in any game. 

The reason we love him is that he tries hard in every game he plays, and that he tries to play as often as possible.

Your reaction is over the top and irrational, but I get it because this is some really bad news.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2019, 07:31:31 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
You guys blaming Brad for this are out of line.

It was a regular season game and NBA players get payed to play

The players already had Tuesday off. What are they supposed to? Not play a single game in 8 days leading up to the playoffs?
Then they would've been as rusty as hell.

How many days are the players supposed to have off?

I guess someone has to be blamed for everything.

Please.

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2019, 07:32:33 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Another A+ job, Brad! One of our most important players gets severely injured in a meaningless game right before the playoffs because you’re a dumbass who doesn’t think, even though you had no problem resting other players costing us games while we were still in the battle for the fourth seed for some ungodly reason.  >:(

So done with Brad. It’s dumb, arbitrary, and inconsistent decisions like this that have screwed us over all season long. What a joke. The day he no longer coaches the C’s can’t come soon enough.

Well said re Stevens. Can't wait until he goes back to the college ranks.

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2019, 07:34:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

The players already had Tuesday off. What are they supposed to? Not play a single game in 8 days leading up to the playoffs?

Please.

Yeah, if he rested all the rotation guys in Orlando as well as Washington and then the team came out and lost the Round 1 opener, everybody here would be calling for his head because the team wasn't ready.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2019, 07:38:06 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
This all seems odd.

Injury happened on Sunday and this is breaking on Wednesday, after Ainge went on the air this morning and said:

Danny Ainge on Marcus Smart to @Toucherandrich: "We see him as day-to-day. Hopefully, he will practice tomorrow."
Ainge on Tatum: "He's fine."

When does it take 3 days to diagnose something like this?  I feel like we'd know Smart's status Monday morning.

Maybe Ainge was trying to play mind games and purposely giving out false info when he said Smart is day-to-day?  Maybe Ainge is playing mind games now with this Woj leak?  Maybe Smart got a 2nd opinion?  Are the C's back to having a sucky medical staff?

Smart didn't know the results til Woj reported it

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2019, 07:39:15 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Please.

Yeah, if he rested all the rotation guys in Orlando as well as Washington and then the team came out and lost the Round 1 opener, everybody here would be calling for his head because the team wasn't ready.

Plus the #3 seed was still in play.  If the C's beat Orlando, and Philly loses tonight, the C's would have gotten the #3 seed.    Sure a lot of us would prefer the #4 seed and being on MIL side of the bracket, but there's also the possibility of a PHI/BOS ECF with Boston having home court if the C's grab #3.  Practically no chance of home court after the first round unless DET/ORL/CHA/BRK pull off some of the greatest upsets of all time.

Should the team have sat everyone once they clinched a playoff spot in March?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2019, 07:42:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Please.

Plus the #3 seed was still in play.  If the C's beat Orlando, and Philly loses tonight, the C's would have gotten the #3 seed.    Sure a lot of us would prefer the #4 seed and being on MIL side of the bracket, but there's also the possibility of a PHI/BOS ECF with Boston having home court if the C's grab #3.  Practically no chance of home court after the first round unless DET/ORL/CHA/BRK pull off some of the greatest upsets of all time.

Should the team have sat everyone once they clinched a playoff spot in March?

I don't know why all playoff teams don't rest all of their starters once they clinch the playoffs, honestly.

Surely the NBA would allow that, right?
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2019, 07:45:22 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Smart could have gotten hurt in any game. 

The reason we love him is that he tries hard in every game he plays, and that he tries to play as often as possible.

Your reaction is over the top and irrational, but I get it because this is some really bad news.

First, this wasn't just any game - it was literally meaningless for the Celtics. So, sure, he could've got hurt in any game, but he had literally no reason to play in this game, along with the rest of the starters.

Second, the only thing irrational here is Brad's decision-making - like, literally irrational. He rested people down the stretch in numerous games for the playoffs, even when we were fighting for home court advantage, costing us several games. Yet as soon as we lock it up he goes ahead and plays everyone in a literally meaningless game, leading to two starters getting hurt and leaving the game. That's literally irrational decision-making.

I know people have kind of perfected burying their heads in the sand when it has come to Stevens' shortcomings, but, man, how you can rationalize this one away is beyond me, Pho. This is literal harm with no benefit coming from Stevens' poor decision-making, yet somehow it's not his fault? Give me a break.

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2019, 07:50:52 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Please.

I mean, no? lol This is just another rationalization to defend this dumb decision, Pho.

Resting is the standard practice in today's NBA, and virtually like half of the game thread that night was everyone begging Stevens to take the starters out. Seriously, look it up. We were all p---ed the entire time for continuing to play the guys in a meaningless game. Don't act like this is just Stevens' prejudice; like most of the other criticisms of Stevens this year, this is a legitimate critique of his poor decision-making that are borne out by the resulting consequences.