Poll

Who you got at #14? (players are listed in random order)

Tyrell Terry
13 (24.5%)
Patrick Williams
6 (11.3%)
Precious Achiuwa
4 (7.5%)
R.J. Hampton
4 (7.5%)
Aleksej Pokusevski
3 (5.7%)
Saddiq Bey
5 (9.4%)
Jalen Smith
4 (7.5%)
Aaron Nesmith
8 (15.1%)
Kira Lewis Jr.
3 (5.7%)
Cole Anthony
2 (3.8%)
other (please name below and I'll include him in the poll)
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)  (Read 117047 times)

Re: Who You Got with the 14th Pick?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2020, 04:54:55 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm leaning towards adding another J to the team.

Jalen Smith

He had a disappointing freshman year but bounce back well. C's need a big that has offense potential and is still athletic enough with size for modern NBA. A guy to develop incase we don't resign Theis in 2021.

At 14?
Yes at 14. If Toppin can go top ten Smith can go 14. Everyone has him in the 20's but they are off. He should go top 18.

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2020, 05:01:15 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm leaning towards adding another J to the team.

Jalen Smith

He had a disappointing freshman year but bounce back well. C's need a big that has offense potential and is still athletic enough with size for modern NBA. A guy to develop incase we don't resign Theis in 2021.
Imo, he'd be a reach at #14. It seems possible that he won't be available at #26, but we can always trade up for him using #26 + #30.

edit: yeah, footey just wrote basically the same thing
As evident that last few drafts, DA can not move up and down the board the way he would like for players. With the bad draft movement history and the fact no one wants to be taken by DA I don't envision a trade up to get Smith with 26 and 30. Just take at 14. Like they should have just taken Clarke when they had the chance last year.

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2020, 05:14:21 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
How have some of these guys made giant leaps and dives since March?  No games, no combine.  Have individual workouts been happening?

Nope. Just nerdy draft analysts continually studying tape and reassessing lol. Also I’d say because the initial projections were always pretty soft, and that has as much to do with the overall perceived weakness of the draft. It’s pretty deep in mediocrity.

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2020, 05:22:16 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
At 14th, I wouldnt go to a high risk player with potential but high probability of bust like RJ Hampton. I think we really need a scorer from the bench, maybe more than a prospect at PG or Center. Last year, maybe Danny missed Herro because of one pick and I think we shouldn't miss Nesmith this year. A deadly shooter from the bench, wtih size even with probably limited potential, is essential for our future, one of the two missing pieces left.

4 month ago I suggested to take Maledon at 16-17, he continued to fall in the ranks and I think he is largely underevaluated. True he isn't very athletic, but he is a smart player with a lot of maturity and procicty in the basket IQ. He has a good shoot to develop, penetration potential, technic. He isn't in confidence with his left and, but to me he has a very small chance to be a bust (if not injury prone). He isn"t at all the style of player of Ntlikina and nor his mentality is the same (he is very quiet and mutic guy but also very determinated and a lot of work ethic, much more confidence and off potential than Ntilikina).

I don't take him at 14 because I think short term we need moore a bench scorer than a sub PG... KW, Smart and Hayward, with maybe Langford or even Waters is correct enough. But if there is a way to combine 26 and 30 to take Théo at, saying 24, plus Nesmith at 14th I would be excatic with our draft, in the way that the team would upgrade a little the bench short term and a lot for the long way.

If Maledon is selected before (TP think a lot of good things about him so maybe Spurts, even if it is a little high and Murray has a big contract), take Poku or Reed with 26 and combine 30 with salary filler and maybe Theis and Langford for an upgrade at center... I nesmith is selcted before, go to Shadiq Bey or P Williams or Maledon.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 05:30:24 PM by Rikibellevie »

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2020, 05:34:41 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
At 14th, I wouldnt go to a high risk player with potential but high probability of bust like RJ Hampton. I think we really need a scorer from the bench, maybe more than a prospect at PG or Center. Last year, maybe Danny missed Herro because of one pick and I think we shouldn't miss Nesmith this year. A deadly shooter from the bench, wtih size even with probably limited potential, is essential for our future, one of the two missing pieces left.

4 month ago I suggested to take Maledon at 16-17, he continued to fall in the ranks and I think he is largely underevaluated. True he isn't very athletic, but he is a smart player with a lot of maturity and procicty in the basket IQ. He has a good shoot to develop, penetration potential, technic. He isn't in confidence with his left and, but to me he has a very small chance to be a bust (if not injury prone). He isn"t at all the style of player of Ntlikina and nor his mentality is the same (he is very quiet and mutic guy but also very determinated and a lot of work ethic, much more confidence and off potential than Ntilikina).

I don't take him at 14 because I think short term we need moore a bench scorer than a sub PG... KW, Smart and Hayward, with maybe Langford or even Waters is maybe good enough for our ballhandling/ distribution, with Tatum inprooving. But if there is a way to combine 26 and 30 to take Théo at, saying 24, plus Nesmith at 14th I would be excatic with our draft, in the way that the team would upgrade a little the bench short term and a lot for the long way.

If Maledon is selected before (TP think a lot of good things about him so maybe Spurts, even if it is a little high and Murray has a big contract), take Poku or Reed with 26 and combine 30 with salary filler and maybe Theis and Langford for an upgrade at center... I nesmith is selcted before, go for Shadiq Bey or P Williams or Maledon at 14th.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 06:08:32 PM by Rikibellevie »

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2020, 06:17:22 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
My preferred pick at #14 is NO pick.

Everybody needs to send their best 'good luck' vibes towards Memphis when the lottery happens this week!
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2020, 06:51:20 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
1.  Patrick Williams      If this guy becomes a scorer...you have a top 7 level lottery talent.  Meantime, toughness, defense, etc...I'm in favor of bringing Kanter back, even if Robert Williams start to eat into his minutes...But this guy is a pure PF (at least would be on Celtics) for the longterm...G Will I see more as a backup center type.

2.  K. Lewis or Tyrell Terry.   I believe in Romeo.  So no wing at 14.  Romeo will bring elite defense, hustle, rebounding, a real pest for the other team.  And may become a scorer (drives).  Therefore, use the pick for a massively upgraded backup PG and future starting PG.  My heart = Lewis, but Terry might fit the team better as a spark plug scorer for a couple years while he adds a little weight. If we get a guard at 14 then I want Paul Reed at 26...though willing to risk for Poku there too.

3.  Achiuwa.  Bit of a gamble. Take it.  Or may take a while...fine.  Could be a monster rebounder and real trouble for other teams.  PF or center.

4.  Saadiq Bey.  The only exception I can see here to the above no- wing statement...as someone said this guy is big, as in PF big...so if no P. Williams he might be a good get.

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2020, 06:53:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
My first preference is Kira Lewis. Coming round to him being a long-term replacement for Kemba, and would love an offensive threat like him off the bench over someone like Wanamaker.

If he's not available, I'd take a long look at Saddiq Bey. Solid size, good 3&D potential, high floor kinda guy. Villanova have had a raft of mature-aged draftees be successful recently - Paschall, DiVincenzo, Brunson, Hart and Mikal Bridges have all been pretty solid players.

Nesmith would be great, but I'm wary of his shooting troubles.

I'd also like to see if we can package picks to move up and target Wiseman if he starts to fall. Insane athletic profile.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2020, 07:24:37 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
First preference: try to trade up for Wiseman which is probably unlikely.  He’d be a long term project at center, but could really pay off.  After him, I don’t think there are any center options better than Timelord.

2nd preference: draft P Williams or Saddiq Bey.  A wing/swing off the bench is a short term and long term need.  I’m leaning toward PWill, but I’m not really sure which player I like better.

3rd option: draft a pg to be a backup and hopefully long term replacement for Kemba.  I’m not wowed by any of the players and would rather use a later pick like number 26 if it’s not traded away.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 08:32:03 PM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2020, 07:40:21 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I love draft time. I love picking the next late first round superstar and then?

I have to filter everything through Ainge's record.
Then, the Celtics don't have any roster spots.
Then, the Celtics have "developing young guys" at every position and they don't get minutes...because the Celtics are a top 5 team.

I look at a forward and then...we already have Tatum-Robert & Grant Williams.

I look at centers and the NBA has eliminated the position except for "freaks" that can shoot threes and run the floor like PG's.

Anyway, the Celtics do not have room for more than one guy maybe two.

Draft a point guard because that is what Ainge usually does. Waters looks iffy and Kemba is kneeish so, try for a PG. Just go into your imagination and pretend we had march madness this year, then figure out which PG was going to go nuts and carry his "upstart team" to the sweet 16. 

RJ Hampton....oops, he plays in New Zealand - he has a good burst and his 3 will get better.He's a foot taller than Waters so there's that.

I like Stewart from Florida State, but he doesn't look like an Ainge guy.

I also like Saddiq Bey....a biggish guy who can shoot threes.

Dream pick is Toppin but, he's too good to be there at 14.

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2020, 07:54:05 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
If ppl think that Grant & Robert Williams are our future starters than I got magic sand to sell ya
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2020, 08:03:47 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
If ppl think that Grant & Robert Williams are our future starters than I got magic sand to sell ya

I definitely think that Robert Williams is a future starter IF he can stay healthy for long periods of time.
Timelord is overshadowed because we have soo much talent with Tatum and Brown, but I still don't see why Timelord is any less of a prospect than Mitchell Robinson, who's Knicks' biggest hope currently for the future.

Timelord + Theis + 3rd stringer will do for the center position the coming years in my book. However I believe it's still possible to play two bigs (like the Lakers, Pacers, Nuggets and Heat do) in the current NBA, so I'm not against drafting a big.

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2020, 08:04:49 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Who thinks that Grant will ever start for us? RWill is definitely a future starter, no matter how often you crap on him. The fact that he's absolutely crushed it in the bubble seems to be omitted from your considerations
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2020, 09:16:03 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Honestly- for me, this draft is like an NBA 2K draft when you get into the 2020s. With no March Madness this year, literally the only name I recognize is LaMelo Ball. Appreciate the info on prospects we have a chance at getting and am definitely hoping for some trades for either future picks, move ups, or whatever. We have way too many rookie-ish guys on this team already.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 09:30:11 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2020, 11:59:26 PM »

Offline kiwiceltic

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
I got to watch a lot of RJ Hampton playing in New Zealand, I think we may be worth a punt at #14.

IMO he has a similar timeline to Langford, but the C's can afford that given the current guard rotation.
His shot needs some fine tuning, and he got bullied around a bit on D by the grown ups in the NBL, but the athletism is there. He did outplay LaMelo Ball in the match ups they had which also gives me hope.

Give him a year to develop in a good system, in and out of Maine, can't hurt?