Author Topic: Leaguewide Free Agent Rumors  (Read 99062 times)

Re: Leaguewide Free Agent Rumors
« Reply #645 on: July 07, 2016, 02:36:33 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Title-hunter David West to sign with GSW.  The anti-Robert Horry goes for a title with the clear favorite.

Funny how a player like West is so desperate to get a title. It's not like he was ever that good and needs to close out his illustrious career with a ring. I like the anti-Robert Horry label - hopefully that sticks.

Need that anti-Robert Horry juju to work! Lol

Yeah, my favorite thing about David 'and one/yes sir' ::) West is how he didn't come to the Celtics because of the age of the team, or something, and how he wanted to go to Indiana and build what they already had into something special, you know, from the ground up...only to leave for San Antonio last year ::). The moment that happened it felt like bad karma, and the Spurs didn't even make it to the western conference finals, which is obviously all his fault (sarcasm), lol, so him going to the Warriors is even worse, ahaha ;D. They'll never win the title now, thanks to the curse of David West (sarcasm), lol ;D.

In an attempt to please the fans players say things that they'll later regret.
Anyways, people have short memory or don't really care much after all.
I'll never understand this "ring chasing" thing. Honestly, in 5 years time, who will remember who get a ring from Varejao, West, Rush, McAdoo etc...
To me, players that face competition like Reggie Miller, Charles Barkley have a much better legacy and will be remembered as champions unlike many players that have a ring the easy way.

« Reply #646 on: July 07, 2016, 02:37:43 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Title-hunter David West to sign with GSW.  The anti-Robert Horry goes for a title with the clear favorite.

Funny how a player like West is so desperate to get a title. It's not like he was ever that good and needs to close out his illustrious career with a ring. I like the anti-Robert Horry label - hopefully that sticks.

Yeah, my favorite thing about David 'and one/yes sir' ::) West is how he didn't come to the Celtics because of the age of the team, or something, and how he wanted to go to Indiana and build what they already had into something special, you know, from the ground up...only to leave for San Antonio last year ::). The moment that happened it felt like bad karma, and the Spurs didn't even make it to the western conference finals, which is obviously all his fault (sarcasm), lol, so him going to the Warriors is even worse, ahaha ;D. They'll never win the title now, thanks to the curse of David West (sarcasm), lol ;D.

Anyway, people have short memory or don't really care much after all.
I'll never understand this "ring chasing" thing. Honestly, in 5 years time, who will remember if West get a ring at the end of his career?
To me, players that face competition like Reggie Miller, Charles Barkley have a much better legacy and will be remembered as champions unlike many players that have a ring the easy way.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 02:43:28 AM by LGC88 »

« Reply #647 on: July 07, 2016, 03:42:19 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Anyways, people have short memory or don't really care much after all.
I'll never understand this "ring chasing" thing. Honestly, in 5 years time, who will remember who get a ring from Varejao, West, Rush, McAdoo etc...

I agree 10000000%.

Honestly, who is more likely to be remembered 15 years from now?

1) Guys like David Lee (quality player who won a title in Golden State) and Tristan Thompson (solid player who won a title in Cleveland)

or

2) Guys like Karl Malone and Reggie Miller - NBA legends who stuck with their teams throughout their star careers, but never won a title.

I assure you that Karl Malone's legend will never escape him, and the same is true about Reggie.  But will college kids 15 years from now even know who David Lee and Tristan Thompson were?

People want to add to their "legacies" by winning rings, seemingly because they feel this will help them to be remembered as winners.  But history remembers the greats.  History remembers the top two or three guys who carried those winning teams to victory, not the end-of-career tag along guys who played 4 MPG. 

You can brag all you want about being on a championship team, but what good is it if you did next to nothing to contribute to that championship?  If everybody knows you were disposable, and that the team could likely just as easily have won without you?

History doesn't remember NBA champions really unless you are either (a) 1 top 4 or 5 player on the team or (b) the head coach.  Who will even remember the likes of Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom from their Lakers titles?  People will remember Phil Jackson, Shaq, Kobe, Pau Gasol. that's pretty much it.

« Reply #648 on: July 07, 2016, 04:10:53 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Considering Malone chased a ring in LA, and you used him as the first example of team loyalty, I'd say it's a win-win proposition. He either gets a ring (doesn't hurt his legacy), or people remember him as a loyal Jazz player anyway.

Winning titles is probably satisfying and a lot of fun, too.

« Reply #649 on: July 07, 2016, 04:46:45 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

David West not coming to the C's was strictly about money.  He was 31 at the time, and the Celtics could offer him something like 3 years, $9 million (the taxpayer MLE that year).  They tried to find a sign-and-trade using Jermaine O'Neal, but there were no takers.  The Pacers blew that offer out of the water (2 years, $20 million).

« Reply #650 on: July 07, 2016, 05:18:45 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 599
Leandro Barbosa back to Phoenix

There goes the Warriors' bench. No rim protector, no bench.

« Reply #651 on: July 07, 2016, 10:16:53 AM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
Considering Malone chased a ring in LA, and you used him as the first example of team loyalty, I'd say it's a win-win proposition. He either gets a ring (doesn't hurt his legacy), or people remember him as a loyal Jazz player anyway.

Yeah, you have to give Malone a pass. Jazz fans understood it at the time and still do: Stockton retired, but Malone felt he had another year left, so he decided it made more sense to chase a ring in LA rather than spend one more year chasing Kareem's record (in retrospect, he probably would have been better off chasing Kareem's record; better yet, he should have teamed up with Detroit).