Author Topic: Camby to Clips  (Read 19937 times)

Re: Camby to Clips
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2008, 10:17:05 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I thought I knew a decent amount about trading rules, but what happened to the one about salaries matching???
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2008, 10:18:51 PM »

Offline WillC

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 22
Hey ROY,

lets say Camby makes between 7-9 million a year, does that leaves the Clippers with something like 3-5 million under the cap to spend on a free agent AND a full MLE as well?

Please answer if you get a chance.

Thanks.

I'm not sure about where they are in terms of the salary cap right now, but they don't get to use the MLE or the LLE.  Generally speaking, teams below the cap don't have access to the MLE (really, it's teams more than about $7 million under the cap don't have access to the MLE, but that gets it all kinds of technicalities and complications).  Because the Clips had a substantial amount of cap room, they wouldn't have access to the MLE (and it's not something they regain this year if they go over the cap, either.)

Okay, thanks a lot for clearing that up for me. +1

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2008, 10:19:41 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I thought I knew a decent amount about trading rules, but what happened to the one about salaries matching???
the clippers are under the cap and thus can absorb his contract without going over it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2008, 10:21:28 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
nice move for LA.

Davis should be happy.
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2008, 10:34:12 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
This is what happens when you have 4 max contracts. Denver has been in financial troubles for a long time, they were paying $78 million for 8 players under contract, so they probably needed to do this. Still jaw-dropping...

I'm not Camby's biggest fan, but this is a very solid move for Clippers. In 2010, they'll have $26 million out of the books, a veteran pg and a young core with Kaman, Gordon and Thornton, hopefully with some playoff experience. Some good arguments to lure one of the top free-agents. Their fans have reasons to feel confident about the direction of their franchise - all the 8 of them. Those guys in Colorado... not so much.

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2008, 10:35:50 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Besides Denver and Donnie Walsh getting screwed by this deal, Okafor, Iguadala, and Josh Smith just struck out. Who's going to offer them big contracts now that their teams would either match or not. They're either going to have to settle for less or take the qulaifying offers.

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2008, 10:36:37 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Hmm, not sure what to think about this one from either end.

For Denver, if this trade is indeed toward the end of making cap room, that implies they've given up on winning a championship in the near term.  If I'm AI or (especially) Melo, I am not too pleased.

On the other hand, if either this move is a prelude to something bigger in store, or, if there was an unannounced issue with Camby in the locker room, then I guess this move is for the better from their standpoint, both short and long term.

Time is the only (v)indicator, but I'll go out on a limb and say they do not make the playoffs next season.

For LAC, economically speaking, this is a great pickup given their needs.  While Camby certainly does not replace Brand's productivity, all they gave up was a 2nd round pick next year.  Not too shabby.

That said, I'll continue hanging on that pretty sturdy limb and predict they too do not make the playoffs this year.

All in all, I'm not too impressed either way.

(For the record, here's my WC playoff prediction - of course barring any major trades:)
LAL
NO
UTAH
PHX
HOU
SAS
DAL
POR
God bless and good night!

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2008, 10:37:14 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
A good move but I don't think the Clippers make the playoffs.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2008, 10:38:48 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Assuming BD's new contract of 5/$65m is for %13m, the Clips are $9m under the cap.  If his contract is backloaded, they would have a bit more room.

Stan Kroenke, the Nugget's billionaire owner, just stabbed every one of his team's fans in the back. His wife, daughter of Wal Mart founder Sam Walton, is one of the richest persons in the US.   

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2008, 10:42:36 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
they are an Okafor, Jsmith, Iguadola, Deng, away from being a title contender.  Any one of those players would do it.

Can they afford one of them?

I think with the recent Brand slight, the owner is in screw it mode.  Josh Smith on this team would be awesome. 

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2008, 10:50:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
 I still think the Clippers still have enough cap space to go after Deng or Iguadola and they will...Deng is likely the easier target...

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2008, 11:07:25 PM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
horrible move by denver.. honestly i think they could have got better for camby.
props to the clips this is robbery.
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2008, 11:11:48 PM »

Offline flexilexi

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
This trade makes me think that the Nugs are going to deal Carmelo this summer and do a full rebuild.  Could a deal to Miami for Marion and multiple first rounders be possible?  The Nugs would get instant cap room next summer and the Heat would have a big 3 of their own in Wade, Carmelo, and Beasley. 

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2008, 11:14:18 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Good deal for the clippers! It gives them a nice big shot blocking band aid, at a nice price. If that team is healthy, they can be a heck of a lot of fun.

Denver is in a financial mess. Well, they asked for it, when they added Iverson to an already bloated payroll.

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2008, 11:16:06 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I still think the Clippers still have enough cap space to go after Deng or Iguadola and they will...Deng is likely the easier target...

I'm getting a little worried about Mr. Paxon in Chicago. He slept on PJ Brown's expiring $10 million contract a few years ago. Then he trades the right to Lemarcus Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas. And now he is sitting around hoping to low ball Deng and Gordon. On top of all of this, he hires first time head coach Vinny Del Negro to lead the team. Bulls fans, you better start complaining.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird