Author Topic: Camby to Clips  (Read 19841 times)

Re: Camby to Clips
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 09:49:38 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
why didn't the celtics pull that one.. that would've been a great trade for any team

We didn't have the cap space.  The only teams with room to do this were L.A., Memphis, and maybe Golden State (I'm not sure what their numbers are right now).

i think the salary cap is set at a ridiculously low amount. has any team actually been good, say make it to the conference finals without being over? if not, that it proves that it's impossible to win while staying under the cap.

this trade to me seems more loopsided than the gasol trade... i mean at least trade him for a protected 1st round pick.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 09:51:24 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
why didn't the celtics pull that one.. that would've been a great trade for any team

We didn't have the cap space.  The only teams with room to do this were L.A., Memphis, and maybe Golden State (I'm not sure what their numbers are right now).
i think the salary cap is set at a ridiculously low amount. has any team actually been good, say make it to the conference finals without being over? if not, that it proves that it's impossible to win while staying under the cap.

How much money do you want them to set aside for 15 guys? 

The problem isn't the amount of the cap, it is that all contracts are guaranteed.  Kills player movement.

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 09:52:24 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
I think the more interesting question is if the Clips keep him. Camby is not a PF, cannot put up the points that Elton did and is a great veteran presence with a reasonable contract.

Would love to see the Clips flip him Marion or use him in a sign and trade

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 09:54:12 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

How much money do you want them to set aside for 15 guys? 

The problem isn't the amount of the cap, it is that all contracts are guaranteed.  Kills player movement.

Yeah.  Teams will spend above the cap, no matter what it is.  Set a $75 million cap, and player salaries would just be pumped up by teams giving ridiculous contracts to marginal players, because they have room to spend.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 09:54:29 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
That's a solid trade by the Clippers -- they would have had trouble prying away Josh Smith or Emeka Okafur (but I did want to see them try), and they are lucky they aren't stuck with Zach Randolph.  LOL at the Knicks who were trying to play hardball with the Clippers....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 09:57:07 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
.................... Are you kidding me? If I'm a Nuggets fan right now, I'm suicidal. You don't trade Marcus Camby, who only has 2 years left on his contract for a total of $15.7 million, for a second round pick.

Are you kidding me?
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 09:59:42 PM »

Offline bf17290

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 2
Camby is fools gold and at this point of his career the most overrated defensive player ever. He plays for defensive stats and in comparision to KG who plays for defensive stops.

Denver let Seattle of all teams drop 151 on them.

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 10:02:46 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I assume that with the trade Kaman will move over to PF with Camby starting at C.  They are still a little shallow at PF/C (one has to wonder about Camby's durability), but at least Baron Davis is a happier camper than before.  Not sure how much room they have left under the cap, but they still have the MLE in any case to go after a big man to provide depth (Skinner? J. Howard?).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 10:05:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Melo will be on the block for an expiring contract by this time next year. Camby's gone, AI expires next summer and there isn't a GM this side of Isiah Thomas dumb enough to trade for KMart's or Nene's contracts. They move Melo for an expiring contract around this time next year or soon and they are in the Class of 2010 sweeps.

Those KMart and Nene contracts are team rebuilder killers. This Nuggets franchise could be horribly bad for a long time after next year because Kobe and AI being the main FAs next summer there isn't a chance in hell of AI returning to the Nuggets. Best hope will be a sign and trade.

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 10:06:21 PM »

Offline WillC

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 22
Hey ROY,

lets say Camby makes between 7-9 million a year, does that leaves the Clippers with something like 3-5 million under the cap to spend on a free agent AND a full MLE as well?

Please answer if you get a chance.

Thanks.

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 10:09:08 PM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
This trade again shows how much financial problems teams are having. I think the problems are being understated by the teams and the league. Camby just has too reasonable of a contract and too much skill to be traded for only a single 2. We are seeing a lot of teams (besides just Phoenix) go to great lengths to cut down salary. Players should really worry about getting greedy because they might not have a job.

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2008, 10:09:22 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think the more interesting question is if the Clips keep him. Camby is not a PF, cannot put up the points that Elton did and is a great veteran presence with a reasonable contract.

Would love to see the Clips flip him Marion or use him in a sign and trade

I actually think he is a good fit next to Kaman.  Camby can cover any PF in the league, and offensively, Camby can play the high post to Kaman on the low post.  They could be a hell of a "twin towers" combination.

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2008, 10:09:38 PM »

Offline flexilexi

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Clips should be interesting to watch, at first thought the Camby-Kaman frontline seems a little weird but I think it makes sense considering that the k-man is a legit post-up threat and Camby can complement that with his face-up jumpers, tip-ins, alley-oops, etc.  Camby is overrated defensively but the dude is a great off the ball shot blocker and should be at least as good as Brand on the defensive end. 

If there is not another move for the Nugs then they are going to be a mess next year.  Carmelo and AI aren't going to be good soldiers if they think the organization is just trying to save bucks.

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2008, 10:10:33 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Hey ROY,

lets say Camby makes between 7-9 million a year, does that leaves the Clippers with something like 3-5 million under the cap to spend on a free agent AND a full MLE as well?

Please answer if you get a chance.

Thanks.

I'm not sure about where they are in terms of the salary cap right now, but they don't get to use the MLE or the LLE.  Generally speaking, teams below the cap don't have access to the MLE (really, it's teams more than about $7 million under the cap don't have access to the MLE, but that gets it all kinds of technicalities and complications).  Because the Clips had a substantial amount of cap room, they wouldn't have access to the MLE (and it's not something they regain this year if they go over the cap, either.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2008, 10:16:23 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Camby is going to be in paradise getting away from the thugster and Anthony.  Thornton and Kaman actually play defense.  It'll make them a pretty formidable front line and Camby may even get a shot or two per game.