Author Topic: Jerome Allen's Days as Celts Assistant Coach Numbered?  (Read 2870 times)

Jerome Allen's Days as Celts Assistant Coach Numbered?
« on: February 26, 2020, 03:08:36 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
This just in.  Pretty significant findings of wrongdoing. I know this has been made public last year, but man, reading all the charges leveled against him, you would think the Celtics would be cutting ties with him.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/former-penn-coach-current-celtics-assistant-jerome-allen-hit-one-of-most-severe-penalties-in-ncaa-history/

Re: Jerome Allen's Days as Celts Assistant Coach Numbered?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 03:18:58 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Probably not.  The Celtics and Allen crossed that bridge last year when he pled guilty.  I don’t think they really care about the NCAA’s opinion all that much.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 03:22:06 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Disgusting. I don’t get not firing someone like this. I’ll save any more insults but I’m ashamed to see he works for Celts. I had no idea.

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 03:29:54 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He will not be fired because all ncaa coaches including brad Stevens probably did the same thing and ainge knows this

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 03:37:34 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
He will not be fired because all ncaa coaches including brad Stevens probably did the same thing and ainge knows this

Ya. You’re probably correct.

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 03:39:16 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I doubt the Celtics care.  Doesn’t sound like a thing that would be relevant for an NBA coach.   

Also, if you think your favorite college school is clean, think again.  College athletics are dirty as hell and you don’t win if you don’t take care of the shady side of the business as well.

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 03:46:16 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
I doubt the Celtics care.  Doesn’t sound like a thing that would be relevant for an NBA coach.   

Also, if you think your favorite college school is clean, think again.  College athletics are dirty as hell and you don’t win if you don’t take care of the shady side of the business as well.

Everyone except coach k of course! He’s a saint!  :P

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 04:19:18 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I hope they tease him about it and don't fire him.

Not exactly admirable behavior, but I don't think it's a big deal. The NCAA is corrupt. I'd wager that most people who have played any level of college athletics would agree with that assertion.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 04:31:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
he made a mistake

can we not fire or crucify people for a mistake?

we all make mistakes

Its not worth ruining a person career/life

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 05:29:23 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
he made a mistake

we all make mistakes

Not only that, but he's paid for his mistake.

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 07:59:12 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
he made a mistake

we all make mistakes

My bad. I honestly thought it was multiple times and he kinda boasted about it. I’m way to lazy to check. It’s true that college ball is super corrupt but it’s also true one mistake isn’t the same as two or three.

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 10:04:19 AM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55

Most college coaches have accepted bribes to falsify information on students to get them accepted?

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2020, 10:15:57 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
This happened a while ago, Celtics already dealt with the necessary internal controls, and Allen was suspended for a few games.

NCAA continuously sucks the life-force out of its players, and constantly makes ridiculous rules and regulations in order to make a profit... Do you think NCAA cares about the well being of their players, let alone the coaching staff? (James Wiseman is a perfect example.)

Let's be honest, a lot of people do this in real life, but half the time stuff just gets swept under the rug. Ainge doesn't really seem to care nor make this a big deal, so neither should we.

I like Allen, and he seems like a guy a lot of our players enjoy working with, and that's enough for me.

Most college coaches have accepted bribes to falsify information on students to get them accepted?

Are you saying that as a rhetorical question, or a statement? I guarantee you that happens far more frequently than you think.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 10:21:04 AM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2020, 10:58:06 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
he made a mistake

we all make mistakes

Not to offend, but I hate this argument. It's very clear he knew he was not supposed to accept $250,000 from a players dad. It reminds me of the school scandal that lead to a number of people prosecuted, and a some even jailed.

Back to your argument, would you fire someone who stole $250,000? I mean, it was one mistake. Do you really want to fire or crucify someone or that?

How about shooting someone? Are you allowed one time before they should be arrested? I mean it was only one shot.

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2020, 01:59:34 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
This happened a while ago, Celtics already dealt with the necessary internal controls, and Allen was suspended for a few games.

NCAA continuously sucks the life-force out of its players, and constantly makes ridiculous rules and regulations in order to make a profit... Do you think NCAA cares about the well being of their players, let alone the coaching staff? (James Wiseman is a perfect example.)

Let's be honest, a lot of people do this in real life, but half the time stuff just gets swept under the rug. Ainge doesn't really seem to care nor make this a big deal, so neither should we.

I like Allen, and he seems like a guy a lot of our players enjoy working with, and that's enough for me.

Are you saying that as a rhetorical question, or a statement? I guarantee you that happens far more frequently than you think.

I think a lot, if not most coaches (in basketball and football) take some liberties on whether the player can survive academically.  But no, I believe very few of these coaches - and I seriously doubt Stevens - take money to falsify their ability and to get them accepted to the school