Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 413090 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #1830 on: May 19, 2019, 07:22:01 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I want to read the books still to come because they will go into detail about how the characters act and their motivations for acting that way. We will be able to see Jamie's redemption arc was always doomed. We will be able to see Dany going slowly mad than instantly. We will see that Varys didn't just become the stupidest spy in the world rather than the smartest. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I think the story arc in the books will be extremely similar to the television show. I just think through writing from the perspective of each individual character, we will learn those character's thinkings, motivations and desires in detail which will explain the overall story better.

At the very least, the timeline will be better and we might get some explanations as to why the prophecies were off and why.
On "The Watch" podcast Chris Ryan made a comment about how watching this season is like reading a wikipedia entry for the story.  Pretty accurate.  It just feels like a list of plot points lots of context missing.
Well apparently D&D wanted the surprises to keep coming so they held back of giving up too much content that would allow viewers to see what was coming. It's been a blunder for this season and hurt things last season.

« Reply #1831 on: May 19, 2019, 07:25:24 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm going to lose it if we get 30mins of Arya for the third episode in a row. Jon, Dany and Tyrion should be the main focus of this finale.

« Reply #1832 on: May 19, 2019, 02:24:37 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I'm torn.

On one hand, I don't want the show to end. After all, it was very entertaining until the end. On the other hand, I'm glad the show runners don't get any more opportunities to mess with my favorite characters.

For example, what was the point of this whole "Jaime leaving Brienne" nonsense? Why not just end his story with him and Brienne at Winterfell? This is the typical backwards TV writing bs I'm trying to get away from when watching GoT. "Wouldn't it be cool if"... no, no it's not cool, at all.

Then this borderline creepy obsession with Arya. When did this show turn into ASOIAF: Arya Stark fan fiction edition? Did anyone of you ever play tabletop RPGs like Dungeons & Dragons? Or fantasy MMOs when you were younger?

There are people out there who always, ALWAYS, have to play a rogue or an assassin, and they're throwing a temper tantrum if they're not getting their way. Just like some people really want to play FPS games like Battlefield with you, and then spend the entire time sitting on a clock tower sniping bots. It's such a trope, there's even a Youtube series about liveaction roleplayers which has this rogue obsession as one of their sub-plots.

There's just something about roleplaying sneaky characters that seems irresistible to a certain group of people, like it's some kind of fetish. I suspect we're in the unfortunate position where one of the show runners is one of those people and genuinely believes it's the coolest thing in the world to watch Arya do "assassin stuff". It's the only (clean) explanation I can come up with why they're so obsessed with her.

So yeah, the show had a great run, but I really wish we could get a remake once (if) GRRM releases the last two books. Maybe an R-rated animated version of ASOIAF, closer to the books, where some of the actors could reprise their roles?

I would hate it if this was the version of ASOIAF that ends up canon for most people.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #1833 on: May 19, 2019, 03:02:48 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
I want to read the books still to come because they will go into detail about how the characters act and their motivations for acting that way. We will be able to see Jamie's redemption arc was always doomed. We will be able to see Dany going slowly mad than instantly. We will see that Varys didn't just become the stupidest spy in the world rather than the smartest. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I think the story arc in the books will be extremely similar to the television show. I just think through writing from the perspective of each individual character, we will learn those character's thinkings, motivations and desires in detail which will explain the overall story better.

At the very least, the timeline will be better and we might get some explanations as to why the prophecies were off and why.

I assume you're basing this on an old GRRM quote, where he said something similar. I believe that was during one of the first few seasons.

Well, since then, Martin has said several times that he doesn't agree with the path the show has taken. Word on the street is that Martin and the show runners had a falling out sometimes during season 3 or 4, which is also the reason why Martin has stopped guest writing an episode per season.

So, I disagree with you. I'm pretty sure this is not how the books will end. Yes, Dany will go mad, but Arya won't kill the Night King, and I will eat a hardcover edition of Winds of Winter if book Jaime goes back to Cersei at this point.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #1834 on: May 19, 2019, 03:46:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I assume you're basing this on an old GRRM quote, where he said something similar. I believe that was during one of the first few seasons.

Well, since then, Martin has said several times that he doesn't agree with the path the show has taken. Word on the street is that Martin and the show runners had a falling out sometimes during season 3 or 4, which is also the reason why Martin has stopped guest writing an episode per season.

So, I disagree with you. I'm pretty sure this is not how the books will end. Yes, Dany will go mad, but Arya won't kill the Night King, and I will eat a hardcover edition of Winds of Winter if book Jaime goes back to Cersei at this point.
I think he goes back, but I think he will kill her actually fulfilling that prophecy.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1835 on: May 19, 2019, 03:53:54 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
I think he goes back, but I think he will kill her actually fulfilling that prophecy.

Sure, I meant "goes back to be with her". Sorry if I wasn't clear.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #1836 on: May 19, 2019, 04:08:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Rather hard for Arya to kill a character that doesn't exist in the books.

And you are forgetting that Martin shared his ending of the series with Weiss and Benioff once television went beyond the source material. The show has had the ending and general path to get there for many years as given by Martin.

Now Martin could see how the show did things and completely change some stuff and his general method of 1st person POV storytelling from 20 different characters should also explain a ton more in detail. But the general story arc I think will be followed with the same general ending.

« Reply #1837 on: May 19, 2019, 05:58:17 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

And you are forgetting that Martin shared his ending of the series with Weiss and Benioff once television went beyond the source material. The show has had the ending and general path to get there for many years as given by Martin.

Now Martin could see how the show did things and completely change some stuff and his general method of 1st person POV storytelling from 20 different characters should also explain a ton more in detail. But the general story arc I think will be followed with the same general ending.
except they basically admitted that they came up with Arya killing the Night King.  I got the very distinct impression that wasn't from Martin

« Reply #1838 on: May 19, 2019, 06:49:40 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
My predictions for finale:

Jon kills Dany cause she’s crazy
Jon says “eff this place” goes back to the Wildlings and Tornund
Sansa becomes queen of the Winterfell
Gendry gets Kings Landing
Tyrion becomes hand to Gendry
Bran continues to do nothing and just collect disability
Honestly no idea how they tie out the rest of the characters story arcs (Brienne/Arya/Bronn/Greyworm/Sir Davos) in the remaining time

« Reply #1839 on: May 19, 2019, 07:01:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

except they basically admitted that they came up with Arya killing the Night King.  I got the very distinct impression that wasn't from Martin
How could it come from Martin? The Night King is a made up television character(so far as we know...maybe he is introduced in coming books), so, of course Arya killing the Night King isn't from Martin.

But if there is no Night King, then the Battle of Winterfell has to be won, so how? Should be interesting. I also think Arya will be handled quite differently. For instance, I think Lady Stoneheart kills off the Freys.

« Reply #1840 on: May 19, 2019, 08:28:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

How could it come from Martin? The Night King is a made up television character(so far as we know...maybe he is introduced in coming books), so, of course Arya killing the Night King isn't from Martin.

But if there is no Night King, then the Battle of Winterfell has to be won, so how? Should be interesting. I also think Arya will be handled quite differently. For instance, I think Lady Stoneheart kills off the Freys.
the Night King is referenced in the books and is clearly something Martin will have, he will just fulfill the prophecy.  That is why the prophecy is littered throughout the books.  It isn't a red herring that has no meaning and the simple truth is Arya just doesn't fit the prophecy at all and even if she did she didn't do what the prophecy called for.  That is why I believe it was a creation of the D&D and not something they got from Martin.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 08:41:10 PM by Moranis »

« Reply #1841 on: May 19, 2019, 10:25:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Ok episode. Probably the best of the season though I'm not sure that says much

« Reply #1842 on: May 19, 2019, 10:25:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
🤢🤮😵

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1843 on: May 19, 2019, 10:29:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
🤢🤮😵
I don't watch the show, but this had me lol
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1844 on: May 19, 2019, 10:30:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Lol this is unbelievably bad.