Author Topic: The J.B. Problem Bill Simmons  (Read 9063 times)

The J.B. Problem Bill Simmons
« on: November 22, 2023, 03:35:29 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
https://youtu.be/y2iCp544S8U?si=MaVUc-UQNweixGHb

Simmoms is a little harsh here on JB at one point saying he should be our 5th option when we need a bucket in a tight game.

But Facts like this should not be ignored,  Brown is shooting .rt8% from the field, 52% from two EfG% .517 on 18 Fga per game

Porzingis 11.9 Fga per game 55% from the field Efg% .616 and two point Fg% is 70%

Jaylen needs to take less shots and Porzingis needs to shot more often. Zinger in unstoppable in the post. He needs to be at least 16 shots per game. Closer to 20 would be even better. 

JB needs to realize he's best being a glue guy for the team. Do what Derrick White does. Whatever the team needs. We don't caree about your massive contract.  Just help the team win anyway you can. 

Re: The J.B. Problem Bill Simmons
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 03:42:28 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
Porzingis needs to get more shots, period. JB still seems too concerned with “getting his”. Right now Tatum is attempting 20FG per game, Brown is at 18 and Porzingis is only taking 12.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2023, 04:02:30 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
I get the JB issue.  He frustrates me too even though I'm much less critical of him than others here.  I understand the reluctance to believe that he's going to adjust his game given that he's making many of the same mistakes people got on him for last year.   

I do think that he's the that's needed to adjust more than any Celtic -- after his 2nd team all-NBA season.  Tatum has taken his game to MVP level, C's have added a large offensive upgrade to Marcus in Jrue, and C's added a 20+PPG upgrade at center.  In addition, DW is more assertive offensively.  It makes sense that he's wondering about his opportunities.  This is a 27ppg scorer a year ago on a top tier team. 

I still think he should be scoring 20+ppg but he's got to learn to let his opportunities arise in the flow -- and I've seen some signs that he's moving the ball, finding the better shot for the team. Yet, there are definitely times that he decides that he's gonna be 'Tatum'.  For now, only Tatum is Tatum.  But, I believe in Jaylen -- he'll figure this out.

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2023, 04:20:39 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1480
I get the JB issue.  He frustrates me too even though I'm much less critical of him than others here.  I understand the reluctance to believe that he's going to adjust his game given that he's making many of the same mistakes people got on him for last year.   

I do think that he's the that's needed to adjust more than any Celtic -- after his 2nd team all-NBA season.  Tatum has taken his game to MVP level, C's have added a large offensive upgrade to Marcus in Jrue, and C's added a 20+PPG upgrade at center.  In addition, DW is more assertive offensively.  It makes sense that he's wondering about his opportunities.  This is a 27ppg scorer a year ago on a top tier team. 

I still think he should be scoring 20+ppg but he's got to learn to let his opportunities arise in the flow -- and I've seen some signs that he's moving the ball, finding the better shot for the team. Yet, there are definitely times that he decides that he's gonna be 'Tatum'.  For now, only Tatum is Tatum.  But, I believe in Jaylen -- he'll figure this out.

I am in the same boat as you.  I think JB gets too much flack in general.  He has had a hard time adjusting to his role this year.  I am not completely certain that Joe knows his role either.  So I agree 100% with the bolded section.  JB has the biggest adjustment to make to his game among the top 6.  This year he might be option 1A, 2, 3, or even 4 sometimes if the other guys have it going offensively.  He has to dedicate himself to making an impact on the game even if he isn't getting 20 shots every game.  Make an impact with improving his defense, passing, moving without the ball on offense.   It feels like his effort for those 3 has improved a bit this year. 

In some ways, JB's ability to adjust his game is one of the big keys to the season.  It seems like JT is set as the mvp candidate, will get all of the shots / touches he wants, KP is in the pick and roll with JT, Jrue and DW a lot so he has his touches and shots almost set up for him. 

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2023, 04:34:18 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

I am in the same boat as you.  I think JB gets too much flack in general.  He has had a hard time adjusting to his role this year.  I am not completely certain that Joe knows his role either.  So I agree 100% with the bolded section.  JB has the biggest adjustment to make to his game among the top 6.  This year he might be option 1A, 2, 3, or even 4 sometimes if the other guys have it going offensively.  He has to dedicate himself to making an impact on the game even if he isn't getting 20 shots every game.  Make an impact with improving his defense, passing, moving without the ball on offense.   It feels like his effort for those 3 has improved a bit this year. 

In some ways, JB's ability to adjust his game is one of the big keys to the season.  It seems like JT is set as the mvp candidate, will get all of the shots / touches he wants, KP is in the pick and roll with JT, Jrue and DW a lot so he has his touches and shots almost set up for him.

I'll add that if JB's head can get 100% into winning a championship, all will be well.  He doesn't need to play for a contract (Lord knows), so numbers shouldn't matter as much from that perspective.  However he likely has a very human need to feel that the contract he got is justified.  When he realizes that all he needs to do is support victories, he'll be better off.  I don't think anyone is going to whine about his salary if he plays hard D, moves the ball, moves his body on offense, rebounds, and takes his good opportunities as they arise. It's important to note that JB was running the offense at the start of the 4th v. Charlotte. That wasn't JB taking over, that was clearly the plan as JT deferred to him at the start of the 4th.  So sometimes it's coaches decision to lead with JB. But he's got to keep thinking 'find the right guy' - and sometimes he'll be the right guy.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2023, 07:44:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Brown is just not a good second fiddle to Tatum. Same problem for years
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2023, 12:11:44 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436

JB looked pretty good tonight. They wouldn’t have won without him. Also led the team with 8 assists and only one turnover. I don’t expect him to average 8 assists per game, but he definitely did a better job playing team basketball tonight.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2023, 02:22:07 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
That Jaylen KP combo really did a lot of damage to the Bucks, they're developing some good chemistry. Jaylen's reads tonight were much better than against Charlotte. He didn't premeditate as much but he knew what the main play was. They get on well off the court and they're building a good rapport on the court too. KP probably reminded Jaylen that he didn't pass to him at the end of the Charlotte game so he made sure to pass to him tonight  :police:

https://x.com/taylorcsnow/status/1727548505827180809?s=20
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2023, 05:24:34 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

Simmoms is a little harsh here on JB at one point saying he should be our 5th option when we need a bucket in a tight game.

But Facts like this should not be ignored,  Brown is shooting .rt8% from the field, 52% from two EfG% .517 on 18 Fga per game

Porzingis 11.9 Fga per game 55% from the field Efg% .616 and two point Fg% is 70%

Jaylen needs to take less shots and Porzingis needs to shot more often. Zinger in unstoppable in the post. He needs to be at least 16 shots per game. Closer to 20 would be even better. 

JB needs to realize he's best being a glue guy for the team. Do what Derrick White does. Whatever the team needs. We don't caree about your massive contract.  Just help the team win anyway you can.

I am not sure this is true, actually. I can very easily imagine a world where Brown really subsumed his game and a non-insignificant number of knee-jerk armchair GMs (like Simmons) responded with some variation of "I can't believe it, we're paying $300 million for a guy who is only averaging 16-5-5? That's second-superstar money! If we pay you that much, you need to deliver! What's he got on Wyc? Surely you can get generic League Pass prospect on a bad team for one-fifth of that!" or something like that.

Even saying 'Do What Derrick White Does' is a good example - this article is a bit of an OTT exaggeration, but surely we remember all of these takes when that trade happened?

Guy doesn't try to put ball in hoop - guy is overlooked by fans.
Guy has a cold streak putting the ball in the hoop - guy is hung out to dry by fans.
I don't envy Brown right now, he's a bit between a rock and a hard place (even though I also wish he was better at reading the floor, obviously).
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2023, 07:43:04 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I am not sure this is true, actually. I can very easily imagine a world where Brown really subsumed his game and a non-insignificant number of knee-jerk armchair GMs (like Simmons) responded with some variation of "I can't believe it, we're paying $300 million for a guy who is only averaging 16-5-5? That's second-superstar money! If we pay you that much, you need to deliver! What's he got on Wyc? Surely you can get generic League Pass prospect on a bad team for one-fifth of that!" or something like that.

Even saying 'Do What Derrick White Does' is a good example - this article is a bit of an OTT exaggeration, but surely we remember all of these takes when that trade happened?

Guy has a cold streak putting the ball in the hoop - guy is hung out to dry by fans.
I don't envy Brown right now, he's a bit between a rock and a hard place (even though I also wish he was better at reading the floor, obviously).

I can only speak for myself.  I have freinds that say. You really think he's worth 300 million?? Me. Yes. It's 35% of the cap. The alternative is he walks. 

I don't feel bad for the Billionaire owners. Point is Brown avg 26.5 ppg last year.  Proved he's a near elite scorer. Got paid. Set for life, will earn another massive contract.

The goal should be titles now. No excuses. Just try to be a little more Scottie Pippen a little less MJ. To give credit he did that tonight.

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2023, 08:08:39 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Bill simmons is typically always wrong about everything so no surprise JB has his best game of the season after this podcast.
No one has better chemistry with porzingis then brown so hopefully they will figure out a way to get him more shots.

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2023, 08:24:08 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

I can only speak for myself.  I have freinds that say. You really think he's worth 300 million?? Me. Yes. It's 35% of the cap. The alternative is he walks. 

I don't feel bad for the Billionaire owners. Point is Brown avg 26.5 ppg last year.  Proved he's a near elite scorer. Got paid. Set for life, will earn another massive contract.

The goal should be titles now. No excuses. Just try to be a little more Scottie Pippen a little less MJ. To give credit he did that tonight.
I totally agree with you - but I think based on the bolded you have a better understanding of how the salary cap works than the average fan (or even the average pundit's take) right there.

Most people don't really understand the cap, or care to, they just see dollar signs.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2023, 09:05:27 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
This didn't age welll...

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2023, 09:16:20 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

JB looked pretty good tonight. They wouldn’t have won without him. Also led the team with 8 assists and only one turnover. I don’t expect him to average 8 assists per game, but he definitely did a better job playing team basketball tonight.
Absolutely, he just can't play like this consistently and that is the problem.  If he could always be a 2 to 1 assist to turnover player, he'd be a much better compliment, that just isn't him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2023, 09:50:32 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
There is some serendipity in him having perhaps his best game in a while after a post like this is started.  Last night, in a big game, he was efficient (26 pts on 16 attempts), he took care of the ball (1 TO, a questionable dribble-carry in my mind) and he got others involved (8 assists).

The question of course is if he can keep playing that way and at that level.  I don't think this game was an accident.  It seems to me that this is how he is trying to play.  He is adjusting his game based on who is around him on the team this season vs. last season.

I can't relate to $300M contracts.  I have no idea if he is "worth it" or not.  I am not sure it matters so much if his contract is $200M or $250M or $300M, it is more money than I can imagine in any case.  But last night's game was a blueprint for exactly how Brown needs to play.  He won't be that good every night but if he continues to focus on scoring efficiently, taking care of the ball, and getting others involved, like he did last night, he is going to help the team plenty.