Author Topic: Buy out guys:  (Read 6021 times)

Re: Buy out guys:
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2023, 03:43:27 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Stealing this idea from Twitter -- why is Nikola Mirotic out of the NBA? It made me fall out of my chair that he's only 32 years old. Legit 6'10, 6'11. Solid advanced stats on both sides of the court. Consistently shooting 40%+ in Europe including 47%-48% type years. MVP across multiple leagues, incredibly decorated, champion.

He just had his contract cancelled because Barcelona is broke. He was making really good money in Europe -- $10M a year -- but surely he'd be open to ring chasing in the NBA at some point as he ages?

Maybe this is the last big contract opportunity so it's too early for it for him. But he'd be a pretty interesting fit if he said "well, I've won in Spain but let me get that NBA ring before I'm washed up and desperate."

Almost certainly a pipe dream but if we are considering buyout type candidates...

Only if we can have him cover Bobby Portis.

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2023, 10:00:03 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 877
Veteran forward Rudy Gay is expected to draw interest from several playoff-caliber teams, including the Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Lakers, Dallas Mavericks, Chicago Bulls, and New Orleans Pelicans, league sources told HoopsHype. – via Michael Scotto @ HoopsHype

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2023, 10:04:44 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 416
Veteran forward Rudy Gay is expected to draw interest from several playoff-caliber teams, including the Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Lakers, Dallas Mavericks, Chicago Bulls, and New Orleans Pelicans, league sources told HoopsHype. – via Michael Scotto @ HoopsHype
Dallas & New Orleans might be Gay best options with playing time
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2023, 10:17:21 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 877
Ian Begley:  ... I have heard that a few teams – teams that seem like they could make the playoffs – have had interest in acquiring Evan Fournier. One other team that I am keeping an eye on is San Antonio. The Spurs are among those teams who have had interest in acquiring Fournier via trade. Unless they have changed course recently, the Knicks have been against attaching any additional draft compensation in a Fournier trade. – via SportsNet New York

I guess that SAN could be thinking of doing a "pump and dump" with Fournier.  Fournier has shown he can put up good (albeit hollow) numbers on a bad team.  Maybe SAN could get something for him at the deadline if he is averaging 15 pts or so for them.  It would be a big contract to move, but I see no other reason that SAN would be interested.

It sounds like NYK will not add a pick to dump him like SAC did when they dumped Holmes and his $12M contract (Fournier is at about $19M).  Holmes has a player option for next season (2024-25) where as Fournier's is a team option.  Holmes had been a useful player until last season.  Not sure what happened.  I had always thought that Fournier was a decent player, until I got to see him in a Celtics uniform.  The numbers he produces just don't seem to match up with what I see on the court.  NYK obviously came to the same conclusion.  I think part of the problem is that Fournier's view of himself is higher than reality.

Anyway, I hope there is no chance that Fournier would be traded to the Celtics.  If he is waived, and can be had for a min contract, and you get him on the cheap in a season where he would be playing for his NBA life, maybe, but honestly, I have my doubts that even then, he would help the team.

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2023, 11:21:17 AM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Ian Begley:  ... I have heard that a few teams – teams that seem like they could make the playoffs – have had interest in acquiring Evan Fournier. One other team that I am keeping an eye on is San Antonio. The Spurs are among those teams who have had interest in acquiring Fournier via trade. Unless they have changed course recently, the Knicks have been against attaching any additional draft compensation in a Fournier trade. – via SportsNet New York

I guess that SAN could be thinking of doing a "pump and dump" with Fournier.  Fournier has shown he can put up good (albeit hollow) numbers on a bad team.  Maybe SAN could get something for him at the deadline if he is averaging 15 pts or so for them.  It would be a big contract to move, but I see no other reason that SAN would be interested.

It sounds like NYK will not add a pick to dump him like SAC did when they dumped Holmes and his $12M contract (Fournier is at about $19M).  Holmes has a player option for next season (2024-25) where as Fournier's is a team option.  Holmes had been a useful player until last season.  Not sure what happened.  I had always thought that Fournier was a decent player, until I got to see him in a Celtics uniform.  The numbers he produces just don't seem to match up with what I see on the court.  NYK obviously came to the same conclusion.  I think part of the problem is that Fournier's view of himself is higher than reality.

Anyway, I hope there is no chance that Fournier would be traded to the Celtics.  If he is waived, and can be had for a min contract, and you get him on the cheap in a season where he would be playing for his NBA life, maybe, but honestly, I have my doubts that even then, he would help the team.
Wembenyama’s a French NBA rookie and Fournier’s a French NBA veteran. They probably already have a relationship and the transition from a foreign country to the US can be difficult. The Spurs would be trying to bring in a familiar face that has already done it to ease the transition.

Fournier’s stint with the Celtics was as streaky as I’ve seen; 6-8 from 3 in one game and 0-7 the next. Brad had a shot at absorbing him into a TPE in exchange for nothing prior to the 22 draft (while Fournier’s shooting efficiency was at its best) and he didn’t do it, so it’s safe to say that he’s far off of Brad’s radar.

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2023, 11:40:34 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Stealing this idea from Twitter -- why is Nikola Mirotic out of the NBA? It made me fall out of my chair that he's only 32 years old. Legit 6'10, 6'11. Solid advanced stats on both sides of the court. Consistently shooting 40%+ in Europe including 47%-48% type years. MVP across multiple leagues, incredibly decorated, champion.

He just had his contract cancelled because Barcelona is broke. He was making really good money in Europe -- $10M a year -- but surely he'd be open to ring chasing in the NBA at some point as he ages?

Maybe this is the last big contract opportunity so it's too early for it for him. But he'd be a pretty interesting fit if he said "well, I've won in Spain but let me get that NBA ring before I'm washed up and desperate."

Almost certainly a pipe dream but if we are considering buyout type candidates...

Only if we can have him cover Bobby Portis.

Mirotic turned down big money to play in NBA last time, he was a very legit NBA players. The top European league are no joke and they have numerous players that could play NBA rotation minutes for a good team.

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2023, 02:54:44 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I’d say almost zero chance Mirotic comes back to NBA

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2023, 03:40:51 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja
i am not doubting you, but i am curious on the reasons you think he won't come back to the nba. thanks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2023, 04:26:02 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
i am not doubting you, but i am curious on the reasons you think he won't come back to the nba. thanks.

It’s widely reported he’s signing with Yam Madar’s most recent team, Partizan.

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2023, 06:22:39 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
He supposedly sign with Partizan. And then didn’t. But maybe he is lol. He’s got a bunch of teams swooning after him atm.

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2023, 02:35:01 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
He supposedly sign with Partizan. And then didn’t. But maybe he is lol. He’s got a bunch of teams swooning after him atm.
As an update to this, it seems like Serbian teams are now out of the race and he might be heading to Greece/Panathinaikos.

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2023, 08:28:29 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3189
Can we grab Jamal Cain away from the Heat? I read he wants a regular contract and the Heat want him on a two way.