Author Topic: Rumor: Celtics refused to make Tatum available in trade talks with New Orleans  (Read 20793 times)

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Tim Bontemps

Verified account

@TimBontemps
Follow Follow @TimBontemps
More
The Pelicans will get the following picks from the Lakers, league sources tell ESPN:

No. 4 pick in 2019
Top-8 protected in 2021, becomes unprotected in ‘22
Unprotected swap in ‘23
Unprotected first in ‘24
Unprotected swap in ‘25

Tremendous haul for David Griffin & the Pelicans.

? I thought the deal was Ball, Ingram, Hart and 3 1st rounders including this year's Lakers pick.
You have 5 picks listed.

Yeah, these are the new details being reported by several legit sources right now. The Lakers got screwed by the Pelicans.

Lebron is going to be 35 by the next playoff series, and AD hasn't exactly been the most healthy player over his career thus far. If that team struggles after a year or two, the Pelicans could have a gravy train of unprotected lottery picks coming their way from the Lakers.

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
I've never been a big Danny Ainge fan and I'm not sure I ever will be.

IMO, he's not a good drafter and his track record of free agency and trades is slightly above average.

Also, Ainge has been putrid in the last calendar year.

He's literally done NOTHING and the team went down the drain in the playoffs as a result.

That said, I find it hard to believe he wouldn't have given up Tatum if he thought there was at least a puncher's chance that he could keep Davis in Boston.

Once Rich Paul came out and basically told the Celtics to go to hell, that killed any chance of the Celts getting Davis.

Now Paul, Lebron and Davis can celebrate, have a nice dinner and play footsies underneath the table.

More is coming. They're 30 mil under the cap so the next big 3 is about to be formed starring once again James the author of 2 such big 3's before. Golden State is no longer the story in the NBA so now the NBA and ESPN needs something to talk about. The Lakers are relevant again. The NBA wants this because this will earn revenue for the league. Really sickening because NOLA had already told the Lakers to pound sand in February yet they still trade AD to them for basically the same package. The rumor was Ainge would trade anybody on the roster to get AD who he has coveted for YEARS and has hoarded all those number 1 picks for and then all of a sudden doesn't make the trade? Unreal. The Celtics have been set back for years now.

utter nonsense.    you obviously ignore the actual facts for your own narrative.

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
Tim Bontemps

Verified account

@TimBontemps
More
The Pelicans will get the following picks from the Lakers, league sources tell ESPN:

No. 4 pick in 2019
Unprotected swap in ‘23
Unprotected first in ‘24
Unprotected swap in ‘25

? I thought the deal was Ball, Ingram, Hart and 3 1st rounders including this year's Lakers pick.
You have 5 picks listed.

Yeah, these are the new details being reported by several legit sources right now. The Lakers got screwed by the Pelicans.

well it’s still 3 1sts, but add the value of the difference coming from the swaps

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Ping pong balls sealed fate. Supposedly Celtics were 1 number away from landing the 4th pick instead of Lakers. Win some lose some.

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
We still have a logjam at the wing. If we keep Tatum, i hope we trade Brown for a big then. I don’t think we can move Hayward.

Smart-Tatum-Hayward-Horford-Bigman

Pretty slow lineup though

The solution is to play Tatum at PF.

That way Tatum, Brown, and Hayward will be able to start.

There's no way Hayward would be happy if he still plays 26 minutes per game coming off the bench.

That’s not a Solution it’s a problem. Tatum is just not as effective at PF. The Solution is to trade a wing for a Center.

Trading a wing for a Center is very unlikely.

It's hard to find quality Centers.

Quality wings are common.

RazzelnoDazzel

We still have a logjam at the wing. If we keep Tatum, i hope we trade Brown for a big then. I don’t think we can move Hayward.

There's no way Hayward would be happy if he still plays 26 minutes per game coming off the bench.

That’s not a Solution it’s a problem. Tatum is just not as effective at PF. The Solution is to trade a wing for a Center.

Smart for Myles Turner

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Smart for Myles Turner
I doubt Indiana would do this
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I've never been a big Danny Ainge fan and I'm not sure I ever will be.

IMO, he's not a good drafter and his track record of free agency and trades is slightly above average.

Also, Ainge has been putrid in the last calendar year.

He's literally done NOTHING and the team went down the drain in the playoffs as a result.

That said, I find it hard to believe he wouldn't have given up Tatum if he thought there was at least a puncher's chance that he could keep Davis in Boston.

Once Rich Paul came out and basically told the Celtics to go to hell, that killed any chance of the Celts getting Davis.

Now Paul, Lebron and Davis can celebrate, have a nice dinner and play footsies underneath the table.

More is coming. They're 30 mil under the cap so the next big 3 is about to be formed starring once again James the author of 2 such big 3's before. Golden State is no longer the story in the NBA so now the NBA and ESPN needs something to talk about. The Lakers are relevant again. The NBA wants this because this will earn revenue for the league. Really sickening because NOLA had already told the Lakers to pound sand in February yet they still trade AD to them for basically the same package. The rumor was Ainge would trade anybody on the roster to get AD who he has coveted for YEARS and has hoarded all those number 1 picks for and then all of a sudden doesn't make the trade? Unreal. The Celtics have been set back for years now.

Yeah, I don't really know what's going on with Ainge?

I mean, I guess the point here is as fans we don't really know what people that work in the NBA know.

So...for me, trading for Kawhi Leonard would've been too risky. However, it worked for Toronto. So, why didn't Ainge have the foresight that Masai Ujiri did?

As for Anthony Davis, Rachel Nichols said on ESPN that she knew for a year that Anthony Davis wanted to go to LA
(see below at 16:10)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFlM1E-5CEA

If you target someone and want to acquire someone as bad Ainge supposedly wanted Davis, shouldn't you at least have some type of idea that he wants to play for another team?

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

Smart for Myles Turner

Definitely!

There's just no way that's a fair trade.

That's a trade that heavily favors the Celts.

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Ainge clearly didn't play his cards without a committment from Davis. Which may be a mistake. The only other explanation is NO took a worse deal to move Davis to the big market.  I doubt that because all those no.1s the Lakers traded are worthless for a contender, which the Lakers will be for the next few years. Ainge probably just didn't play his hand.

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Ainge clearly didn't play his cards without a committment from Davis. Which may be a mistake. The only other explanation is NO took a worse deal to move Davis to the big market.  I doubt that because all those no.1s the Lakers traded are worthless for a contender, which the Lakers will be for the next few years. Ainge probably just didn't play his hand.

Lebron is in year 18.... those picks might turn pretty good pretty soon.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Smart for Myles Turner

What about a Hayward for Sabonis deal? The pacers have some space free, and they seem to have already decided they can't play Turner and Sabonis together. maybe they gamble on Haywards upside returning from injury.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Tim Bontemps

Verified account

@TimBontemps
More

No. 4 pick in 2019
Unprotected swap in ‘23
Unprotected first in ‘24
Unprotected swap in ‘25

You have 5 picks listed.

Lebron is going to be 35 by the next playoff series, and AD hasn't exactly been the most healthy player over his career thus far. If that team struggles after a year or two, the Pelicans could have a gravy train of unprotected lottery picks coming their way from the Lakers.

Yeah, that’s a tremendous haul that Danny would’ve (and should’ve) never came close to given the uncertainty around AD’s free agency, and that’s just the picks and not including Zo, Ingram, and Hart. Tremendous job by Griffin.

Definitely has to make Boston fans feel better about this, as Danny’s involvement likely significantly drove up the price for LA. Would’ve had to do something like Tatum, Smart, Memphis pick and quite a bit more to get this done likely, which is a no-go for me.

I am now excited to see what the Jays can do next year. As long as Brad adjusts the gameplan accordingly and lets these guys get out in the open court, a lineup of Smart/Rozier, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, and Horford could really still make some noise if one of the Jays makes a leap and Gordon can get back closer to what he was.

At the very least, that team is much more fun to root for.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I wouldn't be so sure LA will be such a sure fire contender for so long in the West. Potentially 7 years of first round draft picks reeks of Brooklyn
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I have my doubts that Hayward, Brown and Tatum are compatible chemistry. It didn't look that way this year. Brown and Tatum yes, but  three was a crowd this year.