Author Topic: Rumor: Celtics refused to make Tatum available in trade talks with New Orleans  (Read 20931 times)

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
One thing that should be over is people claiming the Celtics are "all about titles."

They chose a sustainable future with no clear path to contention over a single year of contention.

That's defensible but it means they have priorities other than just winning a title at any cost.
Eh kinda, if AD was going to be miserable and just leave.

Well we already saw what that did to a talented team this year. I get walking away and moving on.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
If Kyrie leaves is there anyway that wee can sign Ricky Rubio for our PG.  He looks to assist first but can score some. He would free up Tatum Brown Hayward to be the scorers along with Al if he stays.

I'm fine with Smart-Brown-Tatum as our starting 1-3. Then Hayward can be the 6th man. In that way we can go back to that defense-first team and avoid playing guys out of position, my goodness I'm so annoyed with that.

Really don't want to see starting our season next year: PG - Smart - Tatum - Hayward/Morris - Horford (and Brown on the bench).

It'll probably be Smart/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford.

Smart is a perfectly good PG in the DJ mold, especially when we have great complementary playmakers in Horford and Hayward.

I'd resign Marcus Morris and start him over Jaylen Brown.

Brown will be our 6th man, stagger the wing minutes to the trio of Brown, Hayward and Tatum.

That gives us a bit more size and still capable enough to score, defend and stretch the floor.

I think Morris is a good 6th man. He's an unrepentant gunner and we want Hayward and Tatum getting most of the shots in the starting lineup.

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
If Kyrie leaves is there anyway that wee can sign Ricky Rubio for our PG.  He looks to assist first but can score some. He would free up Tatum Brown Hayward to be the scorers along with Al if he stays.

I'm fine with Smart-Brown-Tatum as our starting 1-3. Then Hayward can be the 6th man. In that way we can go back to that defense-first team and avoid playing guys out of position, my goodness I'm so annoyed with that.

Really don't want to see starting our season next year: PG - Smart - Tatum - Hayward/Morris - Horford (and Brown on the bench).

Smart is a perfectly good PG in the DJ mold, especially when we have great complementary playmakers in Horford and Hayward.

Brown will be our 6th man, stagger the wing minutes to the trio of Brown, Hayward and Tatum.

That gives us a bit more size and still capable enough to score, defend and stretch the floor.

Don't be offended, but I call that crazy. Brown is a key player in our future, Morris obviously is not.
Even if you think that starting Morris results in more wins next year, what good does that do?

I don't want to re-sign Morris at all, since he's not a veteran leader or a part of the Celtics future. Let him go to Houston or Philadelphia.

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
I have to believe Ainge/Wyc found out in some way (maybe even with a meeting with AD and his reps recently) that AD was adamant he wouldn't stay long term, hence they didn't take the big risk.

that is it

other wise tatum would be long gone son
LET'S GO CELTICS!

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Kudos to Ainge for holding on to Tatum, and also for keeping Rozier all through last season when everyone wanted to trade him. With Kyrie pretty much gone, holding on to Rozier makes total sense now.

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
hmm... just like i said..  also Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. kyrie.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Don't be offended, but I call that crazy. Brown is a key player in our future, Morris obviously is not.
Even if you think that starting Morris results in more wins next year, what good does that do?

I don't want to re-sign Morris at all, since he's not a veteran leader or a part of the Celtics future. Let him go to Houston or Philadelphia.

No offense taken. I just think Morris gives us added size, especially going against Giannis.

Brown comes of the bench, but he would still average 30 mpg if we stagger the minutes at the wing around him, Tatum and Hayward.

And then you close out games with Brown and Tatum on the court.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Tatum just turned 21... he does not need to step up that much. He is so young still. Continue to improve like he has been doing and not saddle him with unrealistic expectations.

If the fans expect him to be 28 a game and carry us to the finals next year when he turns 22 next March, we will end up chasing him out of Boston as well.

Let them grow minus the microscope or we will end up with nobody left in a few years but trips to the lottery.

No one said 28ppg.  But in his 3rd season, you want to see a better body and some evidence that he is on the road to being a top tier player.  He didn't convince me of that this season, but he didn't need to.  Next season I think he needs to show he has the ability to dominate/ take over games.  I think that is a realistic expectation at 22 for a guy who is going to eventually be the man.   Not every top player was a 20ppg scorer at 22, but if you are 22 and the team go to guy, then you are absolutely a 20ppg scorer.  Look at 22yo LBJ, AD, KD, KI(though he wasn't the go to guy), Giannis...  Kawhi and Steph were relatively slow starters -- but Kawhi had a few guys ahead of him.

I'm not looking for 28ppg -- just evidence that he looks like a franchise player to be.  I don't see it yet, but really hope to next year.

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
    The Ainge Empire continues to crumble.

What a fall from the throne.

I'm not really seeing what you're seeing.

• Boston is well stocked at the 2-4 spots.
    • The team needs haven't really changed all that much.  They need Hayward to be Hayward, and they need to find a center.
    • Serviceable point guards are in abundance in the NBA right now. 
    • Getting AD would have opened up holes in other spots, and would have stripped the team of its youthful talent.
    • They've got enough draft picks that Ainge should have some chance to either trade or gamble for the needed positional players.
    • They may also be fortunate enough to see the east lose both Kawhi and Butler.

The Hayward injury has really tossed a wrench into the machine that Ainge was building.  But, the return of Hayward to health, a smart move or two by Ainge, and/or a bit of real luck, and this team is back in the thick of things.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
    • Tommy Points: 1304
    • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
    Tatum just turned 21... he does not need to step up that much. He is so young still. Continue to improve like he has been doing and not saddle him with unrealistic expectations.

If the fans expect him to be 28 a game and carry us to the finals next year when he turns 22 next March, we will end up chasing him out of Boston as well.

Let them grow minus the microscope or we will end up with nobody left in a few years but trips to the lottery.

No one said 28ppg.  But in his 3rd season, you want to see a better body and some evidence that he is on the road to being a top tier player.  He didn't convince me of that this season, but he didn't need to.  Next season I think he needs to show he has the ability to dominate/ take over games.  I think that is a realistic expectation at 22 for a guy who is going to eventually be the man.   Not every top player was a 20ppg scorer at 22, but if you are 22 and the team go to guy, then you are absolutely a 20ppg scorer.  Look at 22yo LBJ, AD, KD, KI(though he wasn't the go to guy), Giannis...  Kawhi and Steph were relatively slow starters -- but Kawhi had a few guys ahead of him.

I'm not looking for 28ppg -- just evidence that he looks like a franchise player to be.  I don't see it yet, but really hope to next year.

We should not use last season a a barometer.

That season is filled with very high expectations, drama with Kyrie Irving, and trying to fit Gordon Hayward back in.
    2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
    PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
    SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
    SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
    C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline gouki88

• NCE
    • Red Auerbach
    • Tommy Points: 3141
    • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
    Well, at least this is all behind us, for which I’m glad for.

I was happy to go for AD and go all-in for next year, but if Danny thinks there was absolutely no way he would resign here then I’m perfectly okay with this move.

I really look forward to seeing Brown, Tatum & Hayward with increased roles on offence, and hopefully a roster more suited to Brad.
    '23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
    SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
    SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
    PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
    C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline gouki88

• NCE
    • Red Auerbach
    • Tommy Points: 3141
    • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

• The team needs haven't really changed all that much.  They need Hayward to be Hayward, and they need to find a center.
      • Getting AD would have opened up holes in other spots, and would have stripped the team of its youthful talent.
      • They've got enough draft picks that Ainge should have some chance to either trade or gamble for the needed positional players.

The Hayward injury has really tossed a wrench into the machine that Ainge was building.  But, the return of Hayward to health, a smart move or two by Ainge, and/or a bit of real luck, and this team is back in the thick of things.
      He’s a Cavs fan who is still mad about Ainge ruining their big 3
      '23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
      SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
      SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
      PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
      C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
      • Reggie Lewis
      • Tommy Points: 2785

I promise you this -

The Boston Celtics will get in the playoffs next season and do better than most think.

And CLE will be on the outside looking in - for the foreseeable future.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
      • Tommy Points: 2922

He’s a Cavs fan who is still mad about Ainge ruining their big 3

Pretty much this, in addition to the fact that our Plan B/C option this summer still has us moving forward with two prospects that are leaps and bounds better than anything Cleveland currently has to option.

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
        • Tommy Points: 586
        My memory is old, but, I remember that pretty much every Celtic's player on the title teams "wanted to play here".

I know Garnett wasn't sure at first, but, I remember the post game press conference where he answered the Globe reporter...."then superman came out of the phone booth."

He was referring to Pierce who went nuts in the fourth quarter of that game. From there? KG wanted to be here.