Author Topic: Report: Nets "Highly Unlikely" to Resign Russell if They Get Kyrie; Opportunity?  (Read 11034 times)

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
idk this “source” but figured i’d put it here just in case

**UPDATED NBA RUMORS**
Source:  D’Angelo Russell has interest in playing for Boston Celtics or NY Knicks if Kyrie Irving signs with Nets.. no word yet if those teams have mutual feeling #NBAFreeAgency

https://twitter.com/incarceratedbob/status/1139732225967251456?s=21

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
It would be wise of Sean Marks to milk an asset out of Danny and complete a sign and trade.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Why would the players agree to that?

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Let's see the offers from other teams first. I'd offer him the Kyrie money (22 mil) and see if the Nets are willing to match then restructure Horford's contract. Otherwise, no big deal if we miss on him.

Scoring PGs should be the lesser priority this off season. We need players that will fit Brad's system. Probably a mobile rim protector and pass-first combo guard who can play D.

would we have room to offer him? i’d think with our cap holds we wouldn’t have 22 in space

Easy to make room for 8 more million if we either reconstruct Horford's salary or trade other pieces to make room. Warriors traded Barnes, Bogut and Ezeli to make room for KD. Our available cap space after Kyrie leaves should be around 14 million.
If Kyrie leaves we have basically no cap room. Not sure where you got the 14 million number are you not counting any cap holds?

Anyways we'd have to renounce Morris/Rozier (not the biggest deal but still something to consider) and renegotiate Horford's deal to get any amount of space.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I would love to see D'Angelo Russell go to Indiana. He would work great with Oladipo and give Indiana a much needed offensive boost.

That would be a fun team to watch.

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I wonder if Brooklyn would do a sign and trade for irving a pick for just the tpe?

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Isn’t Russell a more arrogant, more ball dominant, worse defensive version of Kyrie? And Kyrie haters want this guy why again?

Agree. Russell feels like a bad idea chemistry-wise. I get the asset collection theory though.

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I wonder if Brooklyn would do a sign and trade for irving a pick for just the tpe?

I liked this idea better a month or so ago when I thought we would get a TPE big enough for someone like Conley, but I'm not sure who is available that would really be worth paying ~$20M/yr. The problem with TPEs is you can't combine them with other players/salary.

It's a shame the NBA doesn't address the mess left behind when a star leaves a franchise (either an auto-TPE or draft compensation like other sports), but it seems we may just be one of the casualties this year. It happens all the time around the league.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I am not a fan of Russel too but I d do it just because we keep a valuable asset. If KI leaves we can have another allstar, who we can always trade later too, instead of a big fat nothing
Sometimes its better to let a player walk and have nothing.  TWolves would be better off if they did that with Wiggins.

are you talking about with love? Cause at the time nobody ever thought wiggins would be as bad as he has turned out.
No.  I was talking about them giving Wiggins the 5 year Max contract. 

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
idk this “source” but figured i’d put it here just in case

**UPDATED NBA RUMORS**
Source:  D’Angelo Russell has interest in playing for Boston Celtics or NY Knicks if Kyrie Irving signs with Nets.. no word yet if those teams have mutual feeling #NBAFreeAgency

https://twitter.com/incarceratedbob/status/1139732225967251456?s=21

This seems like a pretty underrated piece of information [if true], at least in regards to how it relates to AD. Russell has been mentioned right up there with Tatum as a top trade asset for AD, but if Russell has other suitors - especially one with oodles of cap space just across the river - then no way would he agree to part of a S&T with NOP. That would seemingly put BKN out of the running (not that they are leading the charge anyway).

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
All reports are that the Nets never got any traction in their attempts to get AD.

But Kyrie seems locked in on BKN so they must have some other plan to put pieces around him. Ugh, it'll be nice when this is settled even if its not looking great for the C's.

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I liked this idea better a month or so ago when I thought we would get a TPE big enough for someone like Conley, but I'm not sure who is available that would really be worth paying ~$20M/yr. The problem with TPEs is you can't combine them with other players/salary.

It's a shame the NBA doesn't address the mess left behind when a star leaves a franchise (either an auto-TPE or draft compensation like other sports), but it seems we may just be one of the casualties this year. It happens all the time around the league.

What are people’s thoughts on Goran Dragic?  He makes just under 20 mil so he would fit with the TPE.  He’s not a flashy name but very solid, and being 32 on an expiring deal I don’t think it would cost much assets to get him.  If it’s a non lottery pick I’d consider it.

I think Miami should just commit to a rebuild anyway instead of being stuck in the middle.

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

I wouldnt need to be a pg.

It could be used on a center as well.

And it could be used as part ofba sign and trade. So theoretically the tpe plus a future or unsigned pick could be traded for a new signing.

For example if Orlando doesnt wamt to resign vucevic we could, in theory, work out a sign and trade with them for vooch at the cost of a pick.

They renounce the tpe amd they lose no capspace but gain a pick in the process.

Gasol
Bryant
Jonas
Vooch

Brogdon
Rubio
Beverly

Pg that maybe coyld be had using that tpe.

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones

What are people’s thoughts on Goran Dragic?  He makes just under 20 mil so he would fit with the TPE.  He’s not a flashy name but very solid, and being 32 on an expiring deal I don’t think it would cost much assets to get him.  If it’s a non lottery pick I’d consider it.

I think Miami should just commit to a rebuild anyway instead of being stuck in the middle.

Not a bad idea, but I guess you would be looking at a 1st for the TPE and another 1st for Dragic. He is definitely a very good player, but 33 y/o isn't ideal and I am not overly confident about his health (only played 36 games last season because of a knee injury). His deal would also be expiring.

I think if we do acquire AD, we have to do everything we can to make him happy. If that means acquiring Dragic, then I guess I could get behind it, but I think we may have missed the best he's had to offer in his career.

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
If people were upset about Kyrie's play last year, take this into consideration about Russell

1. Russell is a worse shooter than Kyrie from the field, the 3 point line and the free throw line and shoots the ball more than Kyrie.

2. Russell shoots more three pointers than Kyrie even though he makes less three pointers than Kyrie at a lesser rate

3. Russell avoids contact in the lane even more than Kyrie, getting to the FT line much less than Kyrie and making those shots at a much lesser rate.

4. Russell's defense is as bad as Kyrie's if not worse.

5. Russell is as ball dominant and isolation heavy as Kyrie if not more.

6. Russell, given his age and former locker room actions in LA, is no leader. His ability to eventually become a leader, may be on the same level as Kyrie.

7. Russell hasn't shown he can come up big when it matters most, in the playoffs. As bad as Kyrie's series was for Boston this year, Russell's was worse. But Kyrie has shown he can be phenomenal in the playoffs, even if he wasn't in the Milwaukee series.

If you didn't like Kyrie in Green, you should hate the idea of bringing in Russell. And, there is the possibility such a deal could hard cap the team, depending on what else has been happening in the off-season thus far.

I have been pretty vocal that I doubt Ainge does any sign and trades. Heck, teams across the league haven't made a single sign and trade in 2 years. I think the likelihood of a simultaneous sign and trade, especially between division rivals, is nearly zero.

Well made post but something to consider about the difference between Russell and Kyrie is that Brooklyn played at the fastest Pace In The League last year at a 105.60 rating against our 5th ranking 100.83.

Kyrie has a penchant for slowing things down so he can score in the half-court.

While he's masterful at this I think it negatively impacts a lot of the other guys like Jaylen and Tatum who thrive in transition.

Russell had some IT4-esque 4th quarters last year single-handedly taking over games by bombing threes in opening up lanes for cutters.

I see no reason why he couldn't do the same thing here and a lot of those games where the team fell apart and never got their rhythm back under Kyrie could have very well turned into W's under Russell.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 09:24:25 AM by Smartacus »