Author Topic: Trade idea Horford (in case no Davis / no Irving)  (Read 1955 times)

Trade idea Horford (in case no Davis / no Irving)
« on: June 14, 2019, 07:46:05 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Idea:

Boston in: Tyler Johnson, Kelly Olynyk, #13 pick and 2020 Phoenix 1st (top 4 protected)
Boston out: Al Horford, Guerschon Yabusele, #20 pick

Miami in: Al Horford, Guerschon Yabusele
Miami out: Goran Dragic, Kelly Olynyk, #13 pick

Phoenix in: Goran Dragic, #20 pick
Phoenix out: Tyler Johnson, 2020 Phoenix 1st (top 4 protected)

Reasoning:

Without Irving and Davis I don't think Boston can contend, so if Horford is interested in Miami I'd let him go. With Johnson and Olynyk we get two teamplayers back who can both shoot and pass. I'm aiming at 2021 free agency, when both contract expire, so I believe we can afford overpaying them till then. We get to move up in the draft (2 picks after another) and get an extra future pick.

Miami is stuck with a huge payroll. With Horford they'd obtain a big man who can play alongside anybody and help them with his veteran presence to make the playoffs. Winslow has been at his best as the main ball handler, so losing Dragic isn't a big deal. Neither is Olynyk with Horford coming in. For the acquisition of Horford they give up #13 pick.

Phoenix needs a point guard. Dragic has been succesful before for the Suns, so if there's no more bad blood it can be a good fit. They get rid of overpaid Johnson and have to give up a future 1st round pick (with light protection), but get a pick (#20) this year as compensation.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 09:32:44 AM by RodyTur10 »

Re: Trade idea Horford (in case no Davis / no Irving)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 07:50:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Why would we go out of our way to add Kelly Olynyk and what's likely to be a weak 1st round pick in this scenario?

If Kyrie is gone and we're not trading for AD, the team is entering youth development mode.  I don't see how Olynyk fits with that plan.  Tyler Johnson certainly doesn't fit that.

Even if you want the team to remain somewhat competitive in the near term, I don't think Tyler Johnson and Kelly Olynyk really do that.  Those guys are paid like key role players on a good team.  They make a lot less sense if they're among the highest paid players on your team.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 07:54:42 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
Why would we go out of our way to add Kelly Olynyk and what's likely to be a weak 1st round pick in this scenario?

If Kyrie is gone and we're not trading for AD, the team is entering youth development mode.  I don't see how Olynyk fits with that plan.  Tyler Johnson certainly doesn't fit that .

I adjusted my proposal with a trade up in the draft.

I think Horford will be interested in Miami, a new chapter in his career. Sure we don't get huge assets for it, but it's something (and I don't think Phoenix would give up more) and both Johnson and Olynyk fit in our team. Two professional teamplayers who can pass and shoot. Wouldn't mind them.

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 08:05:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

If Kyrie is gone and we're not trading for AD, the team is entering youth development mode.  I don't see how Olynyk fits with that plan.  Tyler Johnson certainly doesn't fit that .

I think Horford will be interested in Miami, a new chapter in his career. Sure we don't get huge assets for it, but it's something (and I don't think Phoenix would give up more) and both Johnson and Olynyk fit in our team. Two professional teamplayers who can pass and shoot. Wouldn't mind them.

I think we oughta be able to do better than two overpaid role players and a marginal move up in a weak draft. 

If we can't do that I'd rather just try to keep Horford around given the positive presence he was on and off the court.  If he really wants to leave to go to a contender he could opt out and sign elsewhere (lots of teams will have cap space) or we can try to find a team that is able to send us positive assets.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 09:30:07 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
I rearranged my proposal a bit, I guess I played it too much on the safe side.

Of course this is with the assumption that Horford opts-in.

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 09:43:09 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I think we oughta be able to do better than two overpaid role players and a marginal move up in a weak draft.

If we can't do that I'd rather just try to keep Horford around given the positive presence he was on and off the court.  If he really wants to leave to go to a contender he could opt out and sign elsewhere (lots of teams will have cap space) or we can try to find a team that is able to send us positive assets.
This right here. If Horford wants to be traded, I move him to Houston for Capela. You move Horford for a building block piece that is young and productive not role players and bad draft picks.

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 10:25:54 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

This right here. If Horford wants to be traded, I move him to Houston for Capela. You move Horford for a building block piece that is young and productive not role players and bad draft picks.

I don't believe the rumor that Houston would be interested in a Horford for Capela exchange.

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 10:44:24 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I don't believe the rumor that Houston would be interested in a Horford for Capela exchange.
Yeah, maybe that deal is difficult to close, but I would spend infinitely more effort trying to make that deal than the one you suggested. You have to get a better return for Horford than an already discarded Olynyk, an awful and horribly overpaid Tyler Johnson and bad draft picks.

Wow...Tyler Johnson. If people had problems with Rozier's shots and shooting, they would despise Tyler Johnson, especially as a backup making $19 million a year

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 11:00:19 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Bad trade and doesn't help us.  If we trade Al it's to get Capella or someone who is a difference maker which neither Johnson or KO are.

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 11:02:04 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think we could do much better should we choose to move Al
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 11:06:09 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
Please keep KO as far away from this team as possible.  Besides the constant reminder that we drafted him over the Greek Freak, I don't think I can watch his clumsy, tentative style in Boston anymore.