Author Topic: Bulpett: Kyrie still considering C's; C's want AD regardless of Kyrie's decision  (Read 26639 times)

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

How one player fits vs. the other is irrelevant. We're talking about one season for a 21 year old who may be around for another dozen years. Sacrificing a potential franchise player based on his fit for one season is absurd and so short term minded it's absurd to even discuss.

If that's how short-term Danny's thinking is, he needs to be relieved of his duties, immediately.

As much as I love Brown and believe in his potential, I would rather hang on to Tatum. Not only does he have an extra year left on his contract, but I believe his value around the league is higher.

Now, if it comes down to Brown/Mem pick or Tatum/#22, then I probably lean towards keeping Brown. I do believe he fits slightly better and I really don't want Danny to give up our last premium pick - especially with no guarantees from AD's future.
I love Brown as well, and hope we hold on to both of them. I think if we can find a pg who fits with them, they'll be contending for the East in a couple years.

But frankly, I'd give up Brown and all of the aforementioned draft picks before I'd trade Tatum. He's far and away the best asset of anything discussed in the AD trade, be it from the Celtics or anyone else.

I totally respect your point of view - Tatum is still considered in that uppermost echelon of young players. Mine has more to do with the MEM pick and I guess we all saw how that worked out with SAC this year. Remember before the season we were all worried it would land at #1 and go to Philly? Yeah, that didn't happen.

I can understand this opinion, I just don't think there's as much difference between the best Brown and Tatum could be as some think. Like I don't see Tatum as a top 10 player in the league level guy. In any event I think its kind of a moot point since there is IMO a near zero percent chance the deal doesn't involve Tatum. Right now Ainge is starting low, offering brown, but eventually Tatum is gonna be in it probably with fewer picks (or maybe we figure out a way to keep Smart). Start negotiations low.
You're contradicting yourself, or else you're saying 'everyone else thinks Jayson Tatum is the superior player, but I don't'.

IMO, Tatum will be in a top 10 player, and I have little doubt as to that possibility.

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/06/12/celtics-offseason-gaining-traction-as-aron-baynes-opts-to-stay-anthony-davis-talks-continue/

According to multiple league sources, Irving still has not removed the Celtics from consideration as he contemplates where to sign as a free agent, though the assumption around the NBA was he was looking to go elsewhere to join up with another marquee free agent. That concept was placed in some measure of doubt when Kevin Durant — the most prominent of the potential 2019 free agents — suffered a ruptured Achilles’ tendon in Game 5 of the NBA Finals Monday night.

There still is no definitive word on whether that situation will change Irving’s thinking, or if a successful Celtics pursuit of Davis could increase the chances Irving stays in Boston.

As has been the case all along, it’s fair to think the Celts clearly would like to have more solid information from Irving on his plans so they can more properly formulate their own procedures moving forward.

For example, knowing what Irving will do could impact what the Celtics offer for Davis. At this point, however, sources continue to indicate the club is intent on trying to secure him no matter what else transpires — and regardless of statements that, if acquired, Davis will not re-sign with the Celtics when he can become a free agent in 2020, a sentiment most recently expressed in comments by his agent to Sports Illustrated.

This is good news, as Bulpett is probably the guy most plugged into the C's of all the media, though I do think some see him as Ainge's puppet at times.

Regardless, though, it seems to be a consistent story that Ainge wants AD regardless of Kyrie's ultimate decision, though he certainly would like to pair them as the first option.

It's also good that it is reported that Kyrie is still considering us and hasn't made up his mind yet. Kyrie seems to be a very impulsive type (see the preseason declaration of intent to resign), so I think a good free agency meeting bolstered by the acquisition of AD prior to the meeting could go a long way into convincing him to resign.

But again - as we keep saying this is all based on the basketball perspective, which is where we can excel over other teams, especially after KD's injury. If he's not as focused on that as other concerns, then we'll be fighting an uphill battle.

Bulpett is really the media mouthpiece of the Celtics. He reflects Ainge's thinking, which is consistent with what I've been saying. Danny is a very intelligent guy, and he is taking the best path--AD with or without Irving.  This is a chicken-egg thing though, in the sense that Danny needs to pull the string on AD to draw Irving into signing in Boston. As if the money difference wasn't enough of an incentive! My guess is he is pressuring NO to make a deal, but they are giving everybody else a fair shot. The Lakers are getting a chance to pull a 3 team deal, but I doubt they can top Ainge. He can just raise the stakes. He probably hasn't shown all his cards yet.

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
So basically, Bullpett is saying Kyrie could walk and AD could be a one-year rental.  Thanks a lot.  :(

Cheer up. That Toronto GM is looking like a magician taking a chance on Leonard.

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell

How one player fits vs. the other is irrelevant. We're talking about one season for a 21 year old who may be around for another dozen years. Sacrificing a potential franchise player based on his fit for one season is absurd and so short term minded it's absurd to even discuss.

If that's how short-term Danny's thinking is, he needs to be relieved of his duties, immediately.

As much as I love Brown and believe in his potential, I would rather hang on to Tatum. Not only does he have an extra year left on his contract, but I believe his value around the league is higher.

Now, if it comes down to Brown/Mem pick or Tatum/#22, then I probably lean towards keeping Brown. I do believe he fits slightly better and I really don't want Danny to give up our last premium pick - especially with no guarantees from AD's future.
I love Brown as well, and hope we hold on to both of them. I think if we can find a pg who fits with them, they'll be contending for the East in a couple years.

But frankly, I'd give up Brown and all of the aforementioned draft picks before I'd trade Tatum. He's far and away the best asset of anything discussed in the AD trade, be it from the Celtics or anyone else.

I totally respect your point of view - Tatum is still considered in that uppermost echelon of young players. Mine has more to do with the MEM pick and I guess we all saw how that worked out with SAC this year. Remember before the season we were all worried it would land at #1 and go to Philly? Yeah, that didn't happen.

I can understand this opinion, I just don't think there's as much difference between the best Brown and Tatum could be as some think. Like I don't see Tatum as a top 10 player in the league level guy. In any event I think its kind of a moot point since there is IMO a near zero percent chance the deal doesn't involve Tatum. Right now Ainge is starting low, offering brown, but eventually Tatum is gonna be in it probably with fewer picks (or maybe we figure out a way to keep Smart). Start negotiations low.
You're contradicting yourself, or else you're saying 'everyone else thinks Jayson Tatum is the superior player, but I don't'.

IMO, Tatum will be in a top 10 player, and I have little doubt as to that possibility.

Tatum is the only real deal being discussed in any of the rumors with the Celtics and Lakers. That's why the Celtics have the advantage.

Online ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 445
AD/ Baynes/ TimeLord
Horford/ Theis
Hayward/ Morris
Brown/ Smart
Irving / Rubio (mid-level)

Something along those lines (you can change a few bench players as you want and/or use your mid-level money on someone other than Rubio...) but that team has the chance to be absolutely dominant). The combination or Davis and Horford would be so difficult to deal with on both ends of the floor because they’re both good defenders and versatile offensively. Meanwhile Hayward, Brown and Irving are running around mucking it up. Then you have a lot of grit off the bench... that’s probably a championship team, next season.

Online ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
Meant to have ojelye in place of Smart.

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
So basically, Bullpett is saying Kyrie could walk and AD could be a one-year rental.  Thanks a lot.  :(

Cheer up. That Toronto GM is looking like a magician taking a chance on Leonard.
Toronto only gambled away one good veteran player, a player who had repeatedly demonstrated he wasn't good enough to be the alpha on a title team.

SAS are supposedly already looking to unload Derozan and his salary.

Online ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
Last thought- i’d Feel a lot better about trading for AD if we could get a one or two year extension from him in the process. Two years preferably. If you could sign Irving for the same three years that would be good as well. But having Davis here for at least three years would make me feel better about signing Irving to that large five year deal. If i’m Giving up The Tatum/Brown tandem For Davis sure would like to know he’s going to be here for at least three years. If we win a title or two during that span he hopefully then just resigns and keeps it rolling...

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Last thought- i’d Feel a lot better about trading for AD if we could get a one or two year extension from him in the process. Two years preferably. If you could sign Irving for the same three years that would be good as well. But having Davis here for at least three years would make me feel better about signing Irving to that large five year deal. If i’m Giving up The Tatum/Brown tandem For Davis sure would like to know he’s going to be here for at least three years. If we win a title or two during that span he hopefully then just resigns and keeps it rolling...

There's no way to get an extension. Giving up both Tatum and Brown....... Even mentioning that makes me nauseous.

Lakers can't trade for AD fast enough. I wish Magic was still in charge there so he could promise them everything the Lakers get for the next decade.

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52

I suppose it's possible that Tatum develops into a top ten player, but there is certainly a lot of doubt about it. He's no where near that right now, and while he's still young, people sometimes forget how hard it is to break into the top 10. The Celts would be fortunate if he becomes a top 25 player.

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I am cheering for a resolution one way or the other by draft night. This back and forth is just too much after the season they had.

Get your direction and go with it.

Offline Greenblood35

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 11
Some great points and thoughts being brought up in this thread.

I was trying to think about things from Kyrie's perspective (since I generally only think about them from my own/a fan's perspective). I could see where Kyrie feels he is actually in somewhat of a tough spot. This season just showed him that the team as currently constituted can't win a title, maybe not for talent reasons but certainly based on cohesiveness, acceptance of roles, etc. So there is no point in just running it back - which I don't think Kyrie or the team would do anyway.

On the other hand, if the C's do pull off a trade for AD, he's likely to only be here for one year, in which case Kyrie would be stuck on a team with even fewer assets and talent than he had this past year. Some have proposed he take a 1+1, which I suppose is possible, but does he want to take that financial/injury risk, and also does he want to have to go through this whole process again in a year?

If AD wanted to play here and it was clear he would make a long term commitment, IMO, I think Kyrie would be fully on board. But given what DA will have to give up to get AD, and then the prospect that he will be gone in one season, I think puts Kyrie in an extremely difficult position to stay.

Then again, maybe this is all wrong, and he just wants to go back home, play in a different system, or some other reason we haven't yet heard about.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I am cheering for a resolution one way or the other by draft night. This back and forth is just too much after the season they had.

Get your direction and go with it.

There will be one because the Pelicans want to have a few days to prepare for making selections with whichever draft picks they receive in the trade.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
It all comes down to Kyrie’s decision.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Danny should have traded the malcontent...owell.