Author Topic: Bulpett: Kyrie still considering C's; C's want AD regardless of Kyrie's decision  (Read 26416 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/06/12/celtics-offseason-gaining-traction-as-aron-baynes-opts-to-stay-anthony-davis-talks-continue/

According to multiple league sources, Irving still has not removed the Celtics from consideration as he contemplates where to sign as a free agent, though the assumption around the NBA was he was looking to go elsewhere to join up with another marquee free agent. That concept was placed in some measure of doubt when Kevin Durant — the most prominent of the potential 2019 free agents — suffered a ruptured Achilles’ tendon in Game 5 of the NBA Finals Monday night.

There still is no definitive word on whether that situation will change Irving’s thinking, or if a successful Celtics pursuit of Davis could increase the chances Irving stays in Boston.

As has been the case all along, it’s fair to think the Celts clearly would like to have more solid information from Irving on his plans so they can more properly formulate their own procedures moving forward.

For example, knowing what Irving will do could impact what the Celtics offer for Davis. At this point, however, sources continue to indicate the club is intent on trying to secure him no matter what else transpires — and regardless of statements that, if acquired, Davis will not re-sign with the Celtics when he can become a free agent in 2020, a sentiment most recently expressed in comments by his agent to Sports Illustrated.

This is good news, as Bulpett is probably the guy most plugged into the C's of all the media, though I do think some see him as Ainge's puppet at times.

Regardless, though, it seems to be a consistent story that Ainge wants AD regardless of Kyrie's ultimate decision, though he certainly would like to pair them as the first option.

It's also good that it is reported that Kyrie is still considering us and hasn't made up his mind yet. Kyrie seems to be a very impulsive type (see the preseason declaration of intent to resign), so I think a good free agency meeting bolstered by the acquisition of AD prior to the meeting could go a long way into convincing him to resign.

But again - as we keep saying this is all based on the basketball perspective, which is where we can excel over other teams, especially after KD's injury. If he's not as focused on that as other concerns, then we'll be fighting an uphill battle.

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
June needs to end! Just when I am coming to terms with Irving leaving and the Celtics going with a youth movement, I see this.

Thanks for this post—TP.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Great update

The logic that he "wants to go to Brooklyn" cuz he signs with an agency where the owner is from brooklyn makes no sense. 99% of roc nation players don't play for Brooklyn

Also that agency has ties to the nets ownership. Why would you voluntarily lose leverage like that? Its like wanting to go to the Celtics and hiring  Austin Ainge to negotiate with danny

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

So it's back to

Horford
Davis
Hayward
Brown
Irving

That would be awesome

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
June needs to end! Just when I am coming to terms with Irving leaving and the Celtics going with a youth movement, I see this.

Thanks for this post—TP.
My heart can only take so much of this! Right in the middle of exams too, curse you NBA!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Kyrie and Davis need to sit down together, without agents, and decide if they want to play together.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/06/12/celtics-offseason-gaining-traction-as-aron-baynes-opts-to-stay-anthony-davis-talks-continue/

According to multiple league sources, Irving still has not removed the Celtics from consideration as he contemplates where to sign as a free agent, though the assumption around the NBA was he was looking to go elsewhere to join up with another marquee free agent. That concept was placed in some measure of doubt when Kevin Durant — the most prominent of the potential 2019 free agents — suffered a ruptured Achilles’ tendon in Game 5 of the NBA Finals Monday night.

There still is no definitive word on whether that situation will change Irving’s thinking, or if a successful Celtics pursuit of Davis could increase the chances Irving stays in Boston.

As has been the case all along, it’s fair to think the Celts clearly would like to have more solid information from Irving on his plans so they can more properly formulate their own procedures moving forward.

For example, knowing what Irving will do could impact what the Celtics offer for Davis. At this point, however, sources continue to indicate the club is intent on trying to secure him no matter what else transpires — and regardless of statements that, if acquired, Davis will not re-sign with the Celtics when he can become a free agent in 2020, a sentiment most recently expressed in comments by his agent to Sports Illustrated.

This is good news, as Bulpett is probably the guy most plugged into the C's of all the media, though I do think some see him as Ainge's puppet at times.

Regardless, though, it seems to be a consistent story that Ainge wants AD regardless of Kyrie's ultimate decision, though he certainly would like to pair them as the first option.

It's also good that it is reported that Kyrie is still considering us and hasn't made up his mind yet. Kyrie seems to be a very impulsive type (see the preseason declaration of intent to resign), so I think a good free agency meeting bolstered by the acquisition of AD prior to the meeting could go a long way into convincing him to resign.

But again - as we keep saying this is all based on the basketball perspective, which is where we can excel over other teams, especially after KD's injury. If he's not as focused on that as other concerns, then we'll be fighting an uphill battle.

Any chance you can post the whole article? I can't read it as I don't have a subscription  :(
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Great update

The logic that he "wants to go to Brooklyn" cuz he signs with an agency where the owner is from brooklyn makes no sense. 99% of roc nation players don't play for Brooklyn

Also that agency has ties to the nets ownership. Why would you voluntarily lose leverage like that? Its like wanting to go to the Celtics and hiring  Austin Ainge to negotiate with danny

there is no negotiation.... he knows how much he is going to make.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Any chance you can post the whole article? I can't read it as I don't have a subscription  :(

Would if I could. I couldn’t get the whole article either, but I found this part when I was creeping a Pelicans forum lol

Anyone else have access to this and would be willing to post?

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Bulpett to the rescue  8)

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Bulpett is to the Celtics as Shelburne is to the Lakers.

Each team's gotta have their biased insiders/reporters, after all! I do thank Bulpett for trying to brighten up some Celtics fans' spirits though.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Bulpett is to the Celtics as Shelburne is to the Lakers.

Each team's gotta have their biased insiders/reporters, after all! I do thank Bulpett for trying to brighten up some Celtics fans' spirits though.

lol....... Kyrie is gone and Davis is not coming. Do you even realize the wrath and venom of Rich Paul if Boston thwarts his effort to steer his client to the Lakers.

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
He just depressed me, Irving staying, Davis here for one season and the Bruins blow up in Game 7 ? Glad I bought some Crown on the way home today ............ long night tonite.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
As much as I’d love to have kyrie and Davis, I don’t want the drama that comes with them.  You’ve got a conflict of mindset where the Celtics want an organization run by the owners/coaches/GM’s and you’re trying to acquire players that want to run the show themselves or via their agents.  Celtics brass needs to decide which way they want to go.  In my opinion if you go with kyrie/Davis, Brad has to go.  If you stick with Brad then you roll with a young core and mid level vets.  Personally, I’d go with the latter although the former would probably guarantee us a title next year.  I don’t mean to jump on Brad but he proved he can’t do it so he’s really the Lynch pin :-\

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Bulpett is literally the only guy saying he is considering he stays.   Boy, I miss the days when players did not want drama, these days they like to stoke it and be the center of attention.  I think this is what is happening here, Kyrie is giving false hope to the fans he think turned on him.