Poll

Plan B - sign Kemba, Middleton or tradd for Beal (poll)

Sign Kemba
5 (20.8%)
Sign Middleton
2 (8.3%)
Trade for Beal
17 (70.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Plan B - sign Kemba or Middleton or trade for Beal (poll)  (Read 8395 times)

Re: Plan B - sign Kemba or Middleton or trade for Beal (poll)
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2019, 03:28:34 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Where is all this cap room coming from?

The vague idea of "I don't know but Danny will figure it out".

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2019, 04:31:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Okay some sanity.

A Khris Middleton max contract, which you would need to pull him from the teat of Giannis, starts at $32 million a year.

If Kemba Walker makes any of the All-NBA teams(possibility for a 3rd team isn't out of the question), he is supermax eligible from Charlotte for 5 years $221 million. Charlotte would be stupid to pay him that but Charlotte is run by Michael Jordan, the guy that gave Nic Batum $120 million. So if he makes one of those teams, good luck luring him away from that contract.

But if he doesn't become eligible for a supermax, he also will need to be given a max deal starting at $32 million a year as well.

And just so everyone understands, to get $32 million under the cap you basically have to have Kyrie and Horford opt out and walk, renounce the rights to Morris, Rozier, Theis and Wanamaker and have to trade away in a salary dump either Brown, Tatum or Hayward.

All that to get to sign Kemba or Middleton, neither of which are, or will ever be, top 20 players in this league.

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2019, 04:34:59 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Okay some sanity.

A Khris Middleton max contract, which you would need to pull him from the teat of Giannis, starts at $32 million a year.

If Kemba Walker makes any of the All-NBA teams(possibility for a 3rd team isn't out of the question), he is supermax eligible from Charlotte for 5 years $221 million. Charlotte would be stupid to pay him that but Charlotte is run by Michael Jordan, the guy that gave Nic Batum $120 million. So if he makes one of those teams, good luck luring him away from that contract.

But if he doesn't become eligible for a supermax, he also will need to be given a max deal starting at $32 million a year as well.

And just so everyone understands, to get $32 million under the cap you basically have to have Kyrie and Horford opt out and walk, renounce the rights to Morris, Rozier, Theis and Wanamaker and have to trade away in a salary dump either Brown, Tatum or Hayward.

All that to get to sign Kemba or Middleton, neither of which are, or will ever be, top 20 players in this league.
Tp

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2019, 04:36:01 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Okay some sanity.

End thread.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2019, 04:39:50 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Okay some sanity.

You basically just Thanos'ed the thread. TP.

Okay some sanity.

End thread.

End Game.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2019, 04:42:55 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Where is all this cap room coming from?

The vague idea of "I don't know but Danny will figure it out".

OK thanks! ;D

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2019, 09:48:01 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Perhaps we need another thread on this, but I just want to understand better what we would have left if Kyrie and Horford left and we renounced all of our FAs. By my calculations from Spotrac, we would have $66.3M tied up in players currently under contract.

Hayward - $32.7M
Smart - $12.6M
Tatum - $7.8M
Brown - $6.5M
Yabusele - $3.1M
Williams - $2.0M
Ojeleye - $1.6M

I realize that is only 7 players so draft picks and cap holds would take effect to increase that $66.3M number. Heck, Baynes could opt in and push it up to $71.8M. Still, it seems like we should be able to sign Kemba outright if for some reason he had a desire to come here (projected cap of $109M). I suppose you could still make a Tatum/Smart/picks trade for AD after he was signed, as well.

If I am totally missing something (and this is likely), clearing Yabusele should be pretty easy, as well. Note, I am not advocating for any of this - I absolutely want Kyrie and Horford back.

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2019, 09:51:42 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Beal. The dude has Celtic written all over him. Plus he's a lot better than Middleton and Walker and would integrate very well with Hayward, Tatum, Brown, and Smart.

Only issue is, you'd have to give up Smart, Tatum and/or Brown to acquire him. He makes approx. $25 million per season.

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2019, 09:58:28 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Okay some sanity.

So you are in the trade for beal camp?

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2019, 09:58:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Perhaps we need another thread on this, but I just want to understand better what we would have left if Kyrie and Horford left and we renounced all of our FAs. By my calculations from Spotrac, we would have $66.3M tied up in players currently under contract.

Hayward - $32.7M
Smart - $12.6M
Tatum - $7.8M
Brown - $6.5M
Yabusele - $3.1M
Williams - $2.0M
Ojeleye - $1.6M

I realize that is only 7 players so draft picks and cap holds would take effect to increase that $66.3M number. Heck, Baynes could opt in and push it up to $71.8M. Still, it seems like we should be able to sign Kemba outright if for some reason he had a desire to come here (projected cap of $109M). I suppose you could still make a Tatum/Smart/picks trade for AD after he was signed, as well.

If I am totally missing something (and this is likely), clearing Yabusele should be pretty easy, as well. Note, I am not advocating for any of this - I absolutely want Kyrie and Horford back.

Exactly

Still waiting for a response from Nick

Cant you also trade for cap space??

Well..Nick?

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2019, 10:00:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Beal. The dude has Celtic written all over him. Plus he's a lot better than Middleton and Walker and would integrate very well with Hayward, Tatum, Brown, and Smart.

Only issue is, you'd have to give up Smart, Tatum and/or Brown to acquire him. He makes approx. $25 million per season.

Why couldnt you do a sign a trade with Rozier + Baynes (someone verify this)

Why the Wizards would try such trade is for picks... on the road to rebuild

If they want either Tatum or Brown... what is the point

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2019, 10:00:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Hayward - $32.7M
Smart - $12.6M
Tatum - $7.8M
Brown - $6.5M
Yabusele - $3.1M
Williams - $2.0M
Ojeleye - $1.6M

Gotta figured given Baynes year he opts in. That's approximately $72 million. Cap holds for the draft picks equal about $7 million. Then there would be 2 empty roster spot cap holds to make sure the minimum amount of slots are filled. That's another $1.8 million.

That puts the salary at $80.8 million with a cap of $109 million. That gives you $28.2 million in cap space. The number for a max contract for Middleton or Walker starts at $32.7 million first year.

That's $4.5 million that would need to be created in cap space. The only way to create that space is salary dump a player making above $5.4 million a year because if you salary dump a player, their slot is still refilled with a $0.9 million empty roster slot hold.

So basically to get Kemba or Middleton, the Celtics gave to part ways completely with

Kyrie
Horford
Morris
Rozier
Theis
Wanamaker

Annnnnnnnnnd one of Smart, Tatum, Brown or Hayward.

Lose all that to sign a player to a max contract a player that isn't even top 20 in the league and never will be.

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2019, 10:02:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Hayward - $32.7M
Smart - $12.6M
Tatum - $7.8M
Brown - $6.5M
Yabusele - $3.1M
Williams - $2.0M
Ojeleye - $1.6M

Gotta figured given Baynes year he opts in. That's approximately $72 million. Cap holds for the draft picks equal about $7 million. Then there would be 2 empty roster spot cap holds to make sure the minimum amount of slots are filled. That's another $1.8 million.

That puts the salary at $80.8 million with a cap of $109 million. That gives you $28.2 million in cap space. The number for a max contract for Middleton or Walker starts at $32.7 million first year.

That's $4.5 million that would need to be created in cap space. The only way to create that space is salary dump a player making above $5.4 million a year because if you salary dump a player, their slot is still refilled with a $0.9 million empty roster slot hold.

So basically to get Kemba or Middleton, the Celtics gave to part ways completely with

Kyrie
Horford
Morris
Rozier
Theis
Wanamaker

Annnnnnnnnnd one of Smart, Tatum, Brown or Hayward.

Lose all that to sign a player to a max contract a player that isn't even top 20 in the league and never will be.

I believe you can trade for capspace

How the hell did Cavs do it all those years??

« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2019, 10:05:42 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Okay some sanity.

If Kyrie left, what are your thoughts on a guy like Ricky Rubio? I noticed in his previous contract, he was making roughly $14 million per, so he's not a max player but perhaps one tier below. Is it possible the Celts could free up enough space to acquire him or get him in a sign and trade? I only ask because I think he could be a viable option and it seems him and Hayward have a good relationship. Apparently Hayward lobbied for Utah to trade for him (before he ended up leaving anyway to come to Boston, lol.)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2719676-gordon-hayward-rumors-star-reportedly-told-jazz-he-wanted-ricky-rubio-trade

« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2019, 10:09:18 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I imagine something could be done about the picks or the players taken with those picks, but things could get pretty dicey if we were dumping picks before we were even allowed to speak to FAs.

But, anyway, I totally agree - this is not the way to a better future; just trying to map out how it might be possible. Even if you dislike him, re-signing Kyrie has to be #1, #2, and #3 of Danny's to-do list.