Author Topic: What if Celtics jump to 2nd or 3rd pick?  (Read 3226 times)

Re: What if Celtics jump to 2nd or 3rd pick?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 11:21:59 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Would probably just grease the wheels on a Davis trade.  Might make it possible to keep Tatum out of the deal.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 12:04:32 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
this came up in another thread or 2.

basically, it gives the C's the chance to use that as the focus of an AD deal in terms of talent value instead of Tatum PROVIDED they can come up with the necessary salary-matching component that Tatum's contract provides.  To me, the trouble Danny's going to have with the Davis deal is making the money match up without having to include a lot of young talent on small contracts or Smart.

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2019, 12:18:53 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I think they'd keep the pick. A Top-3 pick + Tatum + Brown to build with for the next 10-15 years would be amazing. We'd still have Horford, Hayward and hopefully Kyrie to legitimately contend going forward (at least next 3-5 years), and we'd adjust other trade assets too. Maybe even use a few other picks, like the Kings, and package for another solid starter who can help (or trade down for additional future picks). Memphis pick could also end up being a Top-10 pick in 2020 or 2021.

Keep either Tatum, that top 3 pick or the Memphis unprotected, and pull the trigger on an AD deal with whatever else is required (within reason).

If you're making a deal for AD, you're keeping 2 of those assets, not just 1. No way am I giving up 2 of Tatum/Kings Pick/Grizzlies Pick (assuming Kings lands #2 or #3). If they still want more, forget it.

Anyways I made the post with the assumption we aren't going after/getting him.

You aren't the GM.  I'd love to keep 2 of those 3 assets but I doubt DA hesitates to pull the trigger if he can keep both Brown and Smart.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2019, 12:52:50 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I think they'd keep the pick. A Top-3 pick + Tatum + Brown to build with for the next 10-15 years would be amazing. We'd still have Horford, Hayward and hopefully Kyrie to legitimately contend going forward (at least next 3-5 years), and we'd adjust other trade assets too. Maybe even use a few other picks, like the Kings, and package for another solid starter who can help (or trade down for additional future picks). Memphis pick could also end up being a Top-10 pick in 2020 or 2021.

Keep either Tatum, that top 3 pick or the Memphis unprotected, and pull the trigger on an AD deal with whatever else is required (within reason).

You think that Tatum, Memphis Pick, Clipper Pick, Boston Pick can net you Davis when NOP knows you have the 2nd or 3rd pick?

(Personally, I think the rumors floated about the potential offer from Danny for Davis is grossly overblown)

Yes I do if the Memphis pick rolls over, and if not you can add one/some of a future Celtics 1st, RW3, Brown, or Smart.  Who's beating that?

No one, which I why I wouldnt offer all of that.

Tatum, Sacramento Pick, Clipper Pick, Boston Pick, Yabusele, And an MLE level signing for Davis...TOPS

I wouldn't offer all of that but I think if we pull the #2 or #3 pick or an unprotected Memphis pick from our existing offer, we'll have to give em something to compensate for it.  If we keep the #2 I'd happily add a future 1st and RW3 to Tatum, Memphis, LAC and Boston picks (all 3 picks this year) and salary filler if we could get away with it.  I would not want to include Smart or Brown, but it depends if you value the #2 pick over those 2 guys. 

I haven't watched much college so I don't know, but Morant seems like a stud.  It's the #3 pick that I think would make this a tough call.

I do agree there 100%.

Morant is a beast, and IMO, if you get the #2 pick you have to lean towards a different direction, you keep him and move forward from there.

Yeah you possibly lose Irving and lose the opportunity to get/keep davis....but you have decades of growth and potential with a core of Morant, Brown, Tatum, Williams with Smart, Hayward, Horford keeping you competetive now.
Still would need a frontcourt upgrade, but there are cheaper options out there.

But if it is the 3rd pick, I think you try and sell Barrett as the main piece of the deal and keep as much out of the deal as possible.

Brown/Barrett/Williams/Yabusele/LAC pick, Boston pick, Boston pick 20201 is an unbelievable deal for Davis.

If the pick ends up at #2 I wouldn't offer more than
Morant/Brown/Williams/Yabusele/Boston pick 2019/Boston pick 2021 for Davis.

I am keeping the Clippers AND the Memphis pick AND Tatum if I am trading Morant for Davis

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 01:23:28 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I do have this feeling that celtics will be picking 3rd again this offseason....

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2019, 02:40:47 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
This reminds me, the NBA needs to get rid of this stupid timing rule for when a player can sign an extension, since it could drastically effect the amount of the contract. Would Danny possibly trade Tatum, a potential #2 or 3 pick, and fuller for Davis, when he only has one year remaining on his contract? Obviously, Davis wouldn’t sign an extension until after he becomes a free agent and then all bets are off. It would basically be this season all over again, with the uncertainty of Kyrie looming over the organization. At a minimum, Danny needs to ask for permission to meet with Davis to see where he stands on his desire to play for Boston.