Author Topic: What if Celtics jump to 2nd or 3rd pick?  (Read 3230 times)

What if Celtics jump to 2nd or 3rd pick?
« on: April 10, 2019, 09:38:38 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
What do you think will happen?

Will they try and keep Tatum out of a deal for Davis?

Will they swing for the fences and make offers for Beal and Davis?

Will they just keep that pick and draft either Morant or Barrett and adjust potential trade pieces?

Morant looks like a superstar to me, and I for one would have a really hard time trading that kid. Really hard time.
Him added to Tatum and Brown would be a competitive core for a decade, add some bigmen and lookout.

But a team that has Irving/Beal/Hayward/Horford/Davis is most likely a championship contender, of not winner.

Re: What if Celtics jump to 2nd or 3rd pick?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 09:42:28 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I think they'd keep the pick. A Top-3 pick + Tatum + Brown to build with for the next 10-15 years would be amazing. We'd still have Horford, Hayward and hopefully Kyrie to legitimately contend going forward (at least next 3-5 years), and we'd adjust other trade assets too. Maybe even use a few other picks, like the Kings, and package for another solid starter who can help (or trade down for additional future picks). Memphis pick could also end up being a Top-10 pick in 2020 or 2021.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 10:08:24 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I think they'd keep the pick. A Top-3 pick + Tatum + Brown to build with for the next 10-15 years would be amazing. We'd still have Horford, Hayward and hopefully Kyrie to legitimately contend going forward (at least next 3-5 years), and we'd adjust other trade assets too. Maybe even use a few other picks, like the Kings, and package for another solid starter who can help (or trade down for additional future picks). Memphis pick could also end up being a Top-10 pick in 2020 or 2021.

Keep either Tatum, that top 3 pick or the Memphis unprotected, and pull the trigger on an AD deal with whatever else is required (within reason).
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 10:09:30 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
i ll have a heart attack

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 10:12:21 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
i ll have a heart attack

For me the heart attack would come when Sacto gets skipped.  Will we end up with Morant or Barrett?  Or will we get a terrible pick instead?

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 10:12:46 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Keep either Tatum, that top 3 pick or the Memphis unprotected, and pull the trigger on an AD deal with whatever else is required (within reason).

Pretty much.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 10:17:09 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

You think that Tatum, Memphis Pick, Clipper Pick, Boston Pick can net you Davis when NOP knows you have the 2nd or 3rd pick?

(Personally, I think the rumors floated about the potential offer from Danny for Davis is grossly overblown)

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 10:21:18 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

You think that Tatum, Memphis Pick, Clipper Pick, Boston Pick can net you Davis when NOP knows you have the 2nd or 3rd pick?

(Personally, I think the rumors floated about the potential offer from Danny for Davis is grossly overblown)

Yes I do if the Memphis pick rolls over, and if not you can add one/some of a future Celtics 1st, RW3, Brown, or Smart.  Who's beating that?

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 10:38:51 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Yes I do if the Memphis pick rolls over, and if not you can add one/some of a future Celtics 1st, RW3, Brown, or Smart.  Who's beating that?

No one, which I why I wouldnt offer all of that.

Tatum, Sacramento Pick, Clipper Pick, Boston Pick, Yabusele, And an MLE level signing for Davis...TOPS

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 10:45:02 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
You celebrate and assuming Kyrie stays you make the trade for Davis. Either you have another young wing/guard to supplement the veteran core or you keep Tatum. Just depends on if NOP prefers Morant/Barrett to Tatum.

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 10:47:11 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

No one, which I why I wouldnt offer all of that.

Tatum, Sacramento Pick, Clipper Pick, Boston Pick, Yabusele, And an MLE level signing for Davis...TOPS

I wouldn't offer all of that but I think if we pull the #2 or #3 pick or an unprotected Memphis pick from our existing offer, we'll have to give em something to compensate for it.  If we keep the #2 I'd happily add a future 1st and RW3 to Tatum, Memphis, LAC and Boston picks (all 3 picks this year) and salary filler if we could get away with it.  I would not want to include Smart or Brown, but it depends if you value the #2 pick over those 2 guys. 

I haven't watched much college so I don't know, but Morant seems like a stud.  It's the #3 pick that I think would make this a tough call.

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 10:54:15 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Chicago jumps to 1st. They like their front court of the future with Markannen and Carter. They decide to take Morant based on their need for a point guard.

Celtics take Zion.

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 10:56:54 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I think that pick along with Tatum would go to the Pelicans.  It might, however, allow us to keep other first round picks that would have been shipped to N.O.

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 11:08:08 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

If you're making a deal for AD, you're keeping 2 of those assets, not just 1. No way am I giving up 2 of Tatum/Kings Pick/Grizzlies Pick (assuming Kings lands #2 or #3). If they still want more, forget it.

Anyways I made the post with the assumption we aren't going after/getting him. 
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 11:15:26 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Chicago jumps to 1st. They like their front court of the future with Markannen and Carter. They decide to take Morant based on their need for a point guard.

Celtics take Zion.

TP to defensewinschamps for giving me the "pathway to Zion in green."

I didn't know it could be done...until now.

Long shot? Impossible?

This summer Ainge is going to attempt to trade "Markel Fultz" for Anthony Davis.

Nothing is impossible. Jeff Green for Zion Williamson.

If any of this ever happened, Ainge would be imprisoned and by the end of his first year of incarceration?  He'd have traded four guys off the prison team for Kemba Walker and filler.