Author Topic: Vague outline of my ideal offseason/roster construction next season  (Read 3518 times)

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Just floating my thoughts and feelings out there for next season.

corrections that need to be make

1. Irving and Tatum simply cant coexist long term. Both want the same role and its not going to work
       This either needs to/will come for Irving walking or Tatum being the key piece in an AD trade
2. Hayward needs to be the primary facilitator when Irving is off the court
       DA doesn't need to replace Terry with a "PG" I would look for a shooter in the Seth Curry mold or a player in the AB mold
3. Al needs less time as the only big on the court
       Either Cs trade for AD, Williams gets an expanded role, or they replacement Morris with a MLE FA big

Ideally ( i understand alot has to happen with salary matching and I don't want to make this a long deep dive)

1. Cs trade for AD using Tatum as the center piece along with the Grizz pick, King pick and LAC pick. Williams is also likely included and some fancy cap manipulation centered around a Rozier S&T for a player like JR Smith

2. Cs use MLE on a back up guard like Seth Curry, Pat Beverly, Avery Bradley( long shot) basically an off the ball PG who allows Hayward to play the point

3. Assuming the Cs retain their own pick in an AD trade ( I would imagine NO with rather have a future pick then this years) their are a number of players I would love to see the Celtics get in the 20-25 range. Based on Tankathons mock I would target (in this order) KZ Okpala, Talen Horton Tucker, Matisse Thybulle or Cameron Johnson

2019/2020 Key rotational Players

PG Irving
SG Smart
SF Brown
PF AD
C  Horford

6th Hayward
7th Baynes
8th MLE Guard (Curry, Beverly, etc
9th Semi
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Vague outline of my ideal offseason/roster construction next season
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 10:55:31 AM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
We have Morris' Bird rights so I'd like to keep him.  Sign Lin for the MLE.  Hayward should be improved after a healthy offseason of trainin so he's back in the starting lineup.

Irving
Smart
Hayward
AD
Horford

Lin
Brown
Morris
Baynes

Championship #18!

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 12:06:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Horford
Davis
Hayward
Brown
Kyrie

Tell Stevens to figure it out.

Smart
Baynes
Morris

FA - best available wing for the MLE

We need some solid citizens on the bench. Jared Dudley for the vet minimum?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 12:17:33 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Put me in the "i just threw up in my mouth" category.  I want no part of Irving!  I think he's a solipsistic Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.!  Look, I didn't like IT either, for other reasons, but he wasn't near the pathetic character that Kyrie is. 

I'll keep Tatum, move on from Kyrie, S&T with Orlando, Rozier for Vuc, draft Garland, sign a PG.

I do like the idea of Horford as Point Forward on the second team.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 12:25:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Put me in the "i just threw up in my mouth" category.  I want no part of Irving!  I think he's a solipsistic ****!  Look, I didn't like IT either, for other reasons, but he wasn't near the pathetic character that Kyrie is. 

So, I'm getting the impression that you don't like having All-stars on the team.

Without Kyrie, and with Horford on the bench, I think we're a borderline playoff team, even with Vuc.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 12:29:47 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Put me in the "i just threw up in my mouth" category.  I want no part of Irving!  I think he's a solipsistic ****!  Look, I didn't like IT either, for other reasons, but he wasn't near the pathetic character that Kyrie is. 

I'll keep Tatum, move on from Kyrie, S&T with Orlando, Rozier for Vuc, draft Garland, sign a PG.

I thought the whole idea of keeping Rozier past the deadline was in case Kyrie leaves. Now you want to let Kyrie wall AND S&T Rozier?

Rozier obviously can’t handle going back to a reserve, especially in his contract year. But, he can still be a good starting PG for the right price.

I don’t think both will be on the team next season, but I’d be surprised if neither is.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 12:38:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Rozier obviously can’t handle going back to a reserve, especially in his contract year. But, he can still be a good starting PG for the right price.

I'm hung up on the word "good" here.  Where would you rank Rozier among starting PGs? 

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 12:39:35 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I think it will be:

Irving
Brown
Hayward
Horford
Davis

Bench
Beverly**
Smart
Baynes
Theis
Draft*** Danny talks NOP out of having 4 picks in this draft and we keep the Sacramento or Memphis pick. netting Little or Reddish at this spot

Theis and Baynes work really well together, Smart can initiate offense on the bench allowing for Little or Reddish to become scoring option number 1.

**Look to sign Beverly off the bench to create to most horrid 1-2 combo defensively in the league.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 12:56:13 PM by Silky »

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 12:56:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I see MLE being thrown around. Now in a case where Irving signs elsewhere, we are probably below the tax apron so get a full MLE. But if Irving re-signs we most likely get only the taxpayer MLE.

I think the difference is $9.2 million to $5.7 million so a decent difference in quality of player you might be able to land.

Also, regarding sign and trading Rozier for a sign and traded Vucevic, that's almost impossible.

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 01:38:29 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

So, I'm getting the impression that you don't like having All-stars on the team.

Without Kyrie, and with Horford on the bench, I think we're a borderline playoff team, even with Vuc.

"So, I'm getting the impression that you don't like having All-stars on the team."

Not when that All-Star is a cancer to the team.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 01:50:06 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

"So, I'm getting the impression that you don't like having All-stars on the team."

We could question almost every single franchise caliber player, minus Steph Curry. 

LeBron James - Self explanatory.  His flaws were covered up by the fact that he was easily the best player for quite a long time
Kevin Durant - Prone to media outbursts, created a burning account on twitter, questionable leadership skills etc.  Golden State represents a direct avoidance of adversity, as opposed to trying to conquer it.
Kawhi Leonard - Completely shut down communication with his coaches and teammates.  It's not their fault that the medical staff made a mistake. 
Russell Westbrook - People close to the Thunder say that he doesn't listen to coaching.  Awesome competitor on the court but unwilling to expand and develop his game
James Harden - Very long track record of quitting in big games.  Last season was a major improvement.  That said, Harden has never needed to adapt his game to teammates.  The entire system and roster is catered to his skill set.  I couldn't imagine Harden fitting in with the current Celtics.

I'm withholding judgement on Anthony Davis until we see how things play out with a new team.  He doesn't deserve criticism for requesting the trade  Same goes for Paul George.  It's always better for these guys to notify their teams ahead of time.

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 01:50:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Just floating my thoughts and feelings out there for next season.

corrections that need to be make

1. Irving and Tatum simply cant coexist long term. Both want the same role and its not going to work
       This either needs to/will come for Irving walking or Tatum being the key piece in an AD trade
2. Hayward needs to be the primary facilitator when Irving is off the court
       DA doesn't need to replace Terry with a "PG" I would look for a shooter in the Seth Curry mold or a player in the AB mold
3. Al needs less time as the only big on the court
       Either Cs trade for AD, Williams gets an expanded role, or they replacement Morris with a MLE FA big

Ideally ( i understand alot has to happen with salary matching and I don't want to make this a long deep dive)

1. Cs trade for AD using Tatum as the center piece along with the Grizz pick, King pick and LAC pick. Williams is also likely included and some fancy cap manipulation centered around a Rozier S&T for a player like JR Smith

2. Cs use MLE on a back up guard like Seth Curry, Pat Beverly, Avery Bradley( long shot) basically an off the ball PG who allows Hayward to play the point

3. Assuming the Cs retain their own pick in an AD trade ( I would imagine NO with rather have a future pick then this years) their are a number of players I would love to see the Celtics get in the 20-25 range. Based on Tankathons mock I would target (in this order) KZ Okpala, Talen Horton Tucker, Matisse Thybulle or Cameron Johnson

2019/2020 Key rotational Players

PG Irving
SG Smart
SF Brown
PF AD
C  Horford

6th Hayward
7th Baynes
8th MLE Guard (Curry, Beverly, etc
9th Semi

Unless Tatum wakes up and plays awesome in playoffs, I doubt the package you offer would win the AD sweepstakes.  The draft picks are pretty weak both in placement and given the weakness of this draft.  If Lakers still willing to give up Ingram (assuming his shoulder okay), Ball and Kuzma, plus picks, I think their package far exceeds what you expect to get it done. Feels like we will have to give up Tatum and one of Brown/Smart plus the picks to be competitive for AD trade.

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 01:53:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Horford
Davis
Hayward
Brown
Kyrie

Tell Stevens to figure it out.

Smart
Baynes
Morris

FA - best available wing for the MLE

We need some solid citizens on the bench. Jared Dudley for the vet minimum?

Roy, your solid citizen proposal seems to change depending on who we last played (Vince Carter, now Jared Dudley).  8)

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 02:42:43 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Kyrie Irving is a player you build a team around and he's not a "solipsistic..."(whatever that means.)
Hopefully, Ky is here to stay for a LONG time.

I do agree with you about acquiring Vucevic. I am very bullish on Vucevic, so much so that I'd rather acquire him in a sign and trade for an extended period of time rather than give up a ton for a one-year rental in AD.

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 02:44:22 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Are you in the Celtics locker room on a daily basis? Any evidence you can provide that proves Kyrie is a "cancer" to his team?