Author Topic: Does MLB actually have the stones to restart the Braves/Cards game?  (Read 7888 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
That was a horrible call and everyone knows it.  It in fact may be the worst utilization of the infield fly rule that has ever been called, and it should be overturned.  The question is will MLB actually do it and restart the game in the 8th inning with the bases loaded and 1 out?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Does MLB actually have the stones to restart the Braves/Cards game?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 09:12:22 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Protest never works in sports. I think the NFL replacements officials was calling that game, lol
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 10:02:50 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Nope

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 10:25:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
protest has already been rejected.  it's a done deal

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 12:19:30 AM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
Just got back from the game...words can't describe the scene that just took place.

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 01:00:05 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Yes, it was a bad call, but here's the thing: that was a catchable ball--the shortstop could've and should've had it, and Holliday also could've caught it, so that situation should've been an out and no Braves runners advancing, but what the Braves ended up with on the play was an out and both runners advancing one base. So the way I see it, they ended up with a better situation than what they really should've.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 01:40:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Yes, it was a bad call, but here's the thing: that was a catchable ball--the shortstop could've and should've had it, and Holliday also could've caught it, so that situation should've been an out and no Braves runners advancing, but what the Braves ended up with on the play was an out and both runners advancing one base. So the way I see it, they ended up with a better situation than what they really should've.
it isn't an infield fly if the outfielder can catch it.  That is the thing.  And the SS just ran away from the ball.  It wasn't the proper call and Joe Torre knows it.  He took the easy way out and called it a judgment call, but it wasn't.  It was a clear misapplication of the rule, which means it should have been overturned by MLB and the game should be restarted.  Torre wussed out.

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 02:32:25 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
it isn't an infield fly if the outfielder can catch it.  That is the thing.  And the SS just ran away from the ball.  It wasn't the proper call and Joe Torre knows it.  He took the easy way out and called it a judgment call, but it wasn't.  It was a clear misapplication of the rule, which means it should have been overturned by MLB and the game should be restarted.  Torre wussed out.

When did they change the infield fly rule to exclude fly balls that could be caught by an outfielder?

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 02:37:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

When did they change the infield fly rule to exclude fly balls that could be caught by an outfielder?
they didn't, I mis-stated what I was getting at.  It has to actually be in the infield, not in the outfield, which was the point I was trying to make.

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 02:40:36 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

they didn't, I mis-stated what I was getting at.  It has to actually be in the infield, not in the outfield, which was the point I was trying to make.

I've always understood the rule to be any ball that was "fairly easily catchable" by an infielder.

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 03:26:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I've always understood the rule to be any ball that was "fairly easily catchable" by an infielder.
http://mlb.si.com/2012/10/05/rule-book-infield-fly-game-under-protest-mark-braves-cardinals-contest/

“An INFIELD FLY is a fair fly ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or first, second and third bases are occupied, before two are out. The pitcher, catcher and any outfielder who stations himself in the infield on the play shall be considered infielders for the purpose of this rule.

When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare Infield Fly” for the benefit of the runners. If the ball is near the baselines, the umpire shall declare “Infield Fly, if Fair.”

The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball being caught, or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball. If the hit becomes a foul ball, it is treated the same as any foul.

If a declared Infield Fly is allowed to fall untouched to the ground, and bounces foul before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball. If a declared Infield Fly falls untouched to the ground outside the baseline, and bounces fair before passing first or third base, it is an Infield Fly.

Rule 2.00 (Infield Fly) Comment: On the infield fly rule the umpire is to rule whether the ball could ordinarily have been handled by an infielder— not by some arbitrary limitation such as the grass, or the base lines. The umpire must rule also that a ball is an infield fly, even if handled by an outfielder, if, in the umpire’s judgment, the ball could have been as easily handled by an infielder. The infield fly is in no sense to be considered an appeal play. The umpire’s judgment must govern, and the decision should be made immediately.

When an infield fly rule is called, runners may advance at their own risk. If on an infield fly rule, the infielder intentionally drops a fair ball, the ball remains in play despite the provisions of Rule 6.05 (L). The infield fly rule takes precedence.”

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 03:49:09 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Lord, I hope so.

What a horrible way for Chipper to go out!

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 03:50:46 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
On TV this morning, Lou Merloni called it a good call....the ss was in position to catch it...although the call was made when the ball was on a downward flight

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 03:52:56 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

http://mlb.si.com/2012/10/05/rule-book-infield-fly-game-under-protest-mark-braves-cardinals-contest/

“An INFIELD FLY is a fair fly ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or first, second and third bases are occupied, before two are out. The pitcher, catcher and any outfielder who stations himself in the infield on the play shall be considered infielders for the purpose of this rule.

When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare Infield Fly” for the benefit of the runners. If the ball is near the baselines, the umpire shall declare “Infield Fly, if Fair.”

The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball being caught, or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball. If the hit becomes a foul ball, it is treated the same as any foul.

If a declared Infield Fly is allowed to fall untouched to the ground, and bounces foul before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball. If a declared Infield Fly falls untouched to the ground outside the baseline, and bounces fair before passing first or third base, it is an Infield Fly.

Rule 2.00 (Infield Fly) Comment: On the infield fly rule the umpire is to rule whether the ball could ordinarily have been handled by an infielder— not by some arbitrary limitation such as the grass, or the base lines. The umpire must rule also that a ball is an infield fly, even if handled by an outfielder, if, in the umpire’s judgment, the ball could have been as easily handled by an infielder. The infield fly is in no sense to be considered an appeal play. The umpire’s judgment must govern, and the decision should be made immediately.

When an infield fly rule is called, runners may advance at their own risk. If on an infield fly rule, the infielder intentionally drops a fair ball, the ball remains in play despite the provisions of Rule 6.05 (L). The infield fly rule takes precedence.”

I'm not sure how this is supposed to do anything other than agree with my statement.

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 08:32:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I'm not sure how this is supposed to do anything other than agree with my statement.
but it wasn't fairly easily catchable to the point that the infield fly rule comes into play.  The SS was backing up the entire time, more than 60 feet into the outfield.  It has to actually be in the infield (or at least very close to it).  The call also needs to be made almost immediately so that the baserunners can plan accordingly, not when the ball is about to hit the ground as it was here.  At the time it was called the SS was running away from the ball.  It was an incorrect application of the rule on multiple fronts.  It was a terrible call and one that should have been overturned on protest.  If this wasn't a playoff game, I think it would have been as well.  Joe Torre just didn't have the stones to do what he should have done.