Author Topic: Should Tek Replace Bobby V.?  (Read 3613 times)

Should Tek Replace Bobby V.?
« on: August 18, 2012, 11:34:11 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
This is an idea being kicked around by the likes of Joel Sherman of the NY Post and Gordon Edes on ESPN Boston. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/21974/varitek-floated-as-valentine-successor

Personally, I like the idea.  It brings in someone who knows his stuff inside out, works particularly well with pitchers (the biggest problem now) and would instantly command the respect of the clubhouse. 

It's also a fantastic PR move by the Sox, as it would bring warm fuzzy feelings to all of Red Sox Nation, as we remember the glory days of '04 (and '07). 

The downside?  Well, if he's not ready, this could blow up badly in Varitek's face.  He's not had managerial experience and expectations will be very high. 

On top of that, I suppose one could argue that if Tek really controlled the clubhouse that well, the disaster at the end of last season never would have occurred.  Still, in his defense, I think there's only so much a platooning catcher at the tail-end of his career can do to control other veterans.  If he was manager, he'd actually have power to do something about it. 

Overall, I like it a lot.  I don't totally blame the ownership for wanting to get rid of Francona.  At the very least, I understand why they thought he was running a ship that was too loose.  However, I think they went too far the other way with the hiring of Bobby V.  I think Varitek could be a nice combination of the two: a Doc Rivers of sorts who commands respect, but is still seen as a players manager/coach. 

On a totally different note, I don't totally blame Bobby V. for this.  As badly as it's gone, had this team not had the worst injury luck in all of baseball, they'd probably be in a wild card spot.  Now, they'd still be a flawed team that probably couldn't win it all; however, no one would be calling for Bobby V's head and we wouldn't be having this conversation. 

Re: Should Tek Replace Bobby V.?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 12:10:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Did you see Tek's totally hot new wife and baby? If you did would you want to leave them for 9 months a year after finally getting some time off to spend with them?

I know I wouldn't.

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 12:15:53 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Did you see Tek's totally hot new wife and baby? If you did would you want to leave them for 9 months a year after finally getting some time off to spend with them?

I know I wouldn't.

There's truth to that.  However, he also essentially was forced to retire this year, so it wasn't like he was itching to walk away from the game to get back to them. 

Plus, it's not like he's gone for 9 months.  Half of the games are at home. 

Of course that's his call.  But from a baseball and PR standpoint, it makes a lot of sense. 

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 12:28:41 PM »

Offline twistedrico14

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
No. What does Jason Varitek know about managing?

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 12:38:51 PM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
As a Celtic fan but not a Red Sox fan this cracks me up.  Red Sox fans are so uppity about their team they would actually consider replacing a guy who has years and years of managerial experience with a guy who was "liked" by the Red Sox nation and has no experience at the job.  Pure insanity.

Red Sox fans have nobody but themselves to blame for their team.  Their fanbase and media are currently the worst in professional sports.  The attitude and atmosphere are horrible.

Thank goodness I am a Dodger fan.

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 01:01:34 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

What did Robin Ventura know about managing?

Does anybody think Ventura knows the game better than Varitek?

Ventura has been pretty successful.

Experience isn't that relevent.....Having good coaches is.

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 01:39:58 PM »

Offline southshorematt

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 46
take your red sox footy pajamas off... tek was a part of the problem last year. he is just overhyped by all of the baseball writers down there. the same ones who won't report what's really going on down there... plus tek tries to sleep with everyone's women

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 02:14:48 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30

What did Robin Ventura know about managing?

Does anybody think Ventura knows the game better than Varitek?

Ventura has been pretty successful.

Experience isn't that relevent.....Having good coaches is.

Ventura's last year with the White Sox was 1998 and has no connection to any of the players on the White Sox.  Varitek is still too connected to these guys.  In ten years Varitek may be a good fit, but he's not a good fit yet.
do it