Author Topic: Rumor: Bobcats interested in Baron Davis  (Read 5068 times)

Re: Rumor: Bobcats interested in Baron Davis
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Too bad Baron isn't a 2 guard. His horrible shot selection might not be as bad if the ball wasn't always in his hands.

I would love to see someone make Baron no longer the Clippers' burden. They should look at the bright side. At least they haven't also been paying Brand.

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Gerald Wallace is 28 already and he's always been a player that I don't know what kind of role or even position he'd play on a championship team.

First off 28 is in your prime.  You say already but he has a few more years of his best basketball ahead of him (most likely) and last year was definitely his best year.  Second he plays SF or an undersized PF and he plays the role of finishing around the rim, hitting the boards, and playing lock down D.  He'd be a no brainer on a championship-level team, I don't know how you wouldn't understand how he'd fit, you can always use those kinds of guys around stars because they compliment them by boarding and finishing when they get the rock and play the great D neccessary to win.  Unfortunately he has been wasting away in Charlotte.  If he was in Boston he'd fit like a glove off the bench as our backup SF.  Won't happen but just saying, he is a guy who fits on any great team.

Oh, 28 is definitely in your prime, I wasn't denying that.  I was saying if you are going to blow it up in a rebuilding effort, you don't want to build around a 28 year old, because he will be in his 30's by the team starts to get it together and you will have missed his best years.

About Wallace's role on a championship team.  Well, I think Wallace is too short to play 4 for a champion, so he'd have to play 3.  And I have this certain idea imprinted in my head that every wing on a championship team has to be a very good 3 point shooter.  I don't know if it's true or not, but I just can't picture a team winning a title without that being the case.  And Wallace isn't a good 3 point shooter.  Here are the wings for the championship teams of the last decade:

Kobe/Artest
Kobe/Ariza
Ray/Pierce
Manu/Bowen
Wade/Posey
Manu/Bowen
Rip/Prince
S-Jax/Bowen
Kobe/Fox
Kobe/Fox
Kobe/Glen Rice

Only one player on that list (Rip) is not a very good 3 point shooter and that was probably one of the most unique championship teams of all time.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2010, 09:51:52 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

Gerald Wallace is 28 already and he's always been a player that I don't know what kind of role or even position he'd play on a championship team.

First off 28 is in your prime.  You say already but he has a few more years of his best basketball ahead of him (most likely) and last year was definitely his best year.  Second he plays SF or an undersized PF and he plays the role of finishing around the rim, hitting the boards, and playing lock down D.  He'd be a no brainer on a championship-level team, I don't know how you wouldn't understand how he'd fit, you can always use those kinds of guys around stars because they compliment them by boarding and finishing when they get the rock and play the great D neccessary to win.  Unfortunately he has been wasting away in Charlotte.  If he was in Boston he'd fit like a glove off the bench as our backup SF.  Won't happen but just saying, he is a guy who fits on any great team.

Oh, 28 is definitely in your prime, I wasn't denying that.  I was saying if you are going to blow it up in a rebuilding effort, you don't want to build around a 28 year old, because he will be in his 30's by the team starts to get it together and you will have missed his best years.

About Wallace's role on a championship team.  Well, I think Wallace is too short to play 4 for a champion, so he'd have to play 3.  And I have this certain idea imprinted in my head that every wing on a championship team has to be a very good 3 point shooter.  I don't know if it's true or not, but I just can't picture a team winning a title without that being the case.  And Wallace isn't a good 3 point shooter.  Here are the wings for the championship teams of the last decade:

Kobe/Artest
Kobe/Ariza
Ray/Pierce
Manu/Bowen
Wade/Posey
Manu/Bowen
Rip/Prince
S-Jax/Bowen
Kobe/Fox
Kobe/Fox
Kobe/Glen Rice

Only one player on that list (Rip) is not a very good 3 point shooter and that was probably one of the most unique championship teams of all time.

Very good post, and I agree about the Pistons being very unique. But RIP is a decent three point shooter, Chauncey is a good one, Tay is decent, and Rasheed shot a good percentage that year… So if one of your wings isn’t an elite shooter you have to have everyone shoot decent AND be one of the best defensive teams of all time.

Your point/perception is basically flawless. And it’s a thought that i share, and went over when thinking about The Miami Heat.

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 09:10:58 PM »

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218
Jordan is gonna look silly if he lands Davis and then Davis injures himself [again]. I don't fully understand why that's a good guy to trade for.