Author Topic: Latest on Rudy  (Read 7927 times)

Re: Latest on Rudy
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2010, 10:07:07 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Interesteing article on realgm:

Portland isn't pleased with Fernandez and agent Andy Miller, who went public with their trade request.

Alan Hahn of Newsday writes that, "So several NBA insiders have suggested to me that Portland will exhaust all other options before they'd even consider doing Rudy a favor and sending him exactly where he wants to go, especially if the Knicks aren't offering anything they really want. And what they want is a first round pick."

I don't know how much I believe this, b/c there seemed to be some pretty solid rumors that the Knicks were offering Wilson Chandler. And I'd assume the Knicks would value Chandler moreso than a low teens first round pick.

If you were in the Rudy to Boston camp and you believed this story I suppose you'd see it as good news then that Boston apparently isn't his very first choice.  (Though maybe too much not so after the Delonte signing.)

Even w/ Delonte I still think it makes sense to do the trade (I don't believe in Quis' ability to stay healthy, and I really want to limit PP's minutes) thought I could see it costing us Avery Bradley.

Unless Yahoo! Sports has some data very wrong, Rudy Fernandez is listed at 170#.  Now, the dude may be 6'6" (small forward height), but I don't see how someone that's lighter than Rondo, and Avery Bradley, and NATE ROBINSON has the meat on them to be able to survive at small forward.  He's certainly not the big, physical defender we want to be able to check LeBron, and he doesn't really give you a lot of rebounding.

Trade for Rudy, fine...  but trot him out there as the nominal "small forward," you're still playing with three guards.

Rudy's a potential sub for Ray, not Paul.

EDIT: People do realize that based on 82 games' metrics, he only played 2% of Portland's small forward minutes last year, right?

And that he does pretty much nothing else offensively than shoot jumpers?  90% of his shots were jumpers. 

And that he only hit 38% of his field goals last year?  And his career mark from downtown (38.7%) isn't THAT  much better than Delonte's 37%? 

And that the dude's only 170 pounds, and can't play small forward?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 10:14:16 AM by the_Bird »