Author Topic: Sheed/Big Baby/1st Rounder for Tayshaun Prince  (Read 9828 times)

Re: Sheed/Big Baby/1st Rounder for Tayshaun Prince
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 03:06:33 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I think that gives up too much in the front court. I am fine with losing either one big as long as we keep another, but you lose the depth you need.

I would really like Prince but that seems expensive in general for him now too.  Maybe Sheed and a first rounder?  Or does that not work either?

Yeah, I'm not sure it works without Baby.  Prince is not worth his contract and certainly not worth giving up Baby for.  Too bad he makes so much.  We should set our sights on someone with a more reasonable contract that matches up with Sheed's.
Prince is way better than Big Baby, and he plays a position we need while also being able to play Baby's position probably as good as he could.

Prince could play the PF against certain matchups perhaps, but I do not think he could reliably and he certainly could not play C.  And if you give up Sheed and BBD, you leave little room for injury to our bigs and you make all their minutes go up.

I would likely pull the trigger on this deal. 

Prince would give the Celtics a reliable 6th man at the SF position. 

Davis is the 4th big man, 5th when Perk returns.  I would add a vet min C to fill the 4th spot or resign Scali to hold the fort till Perk returns.

You need a better 4th big man than that.  BBD and Sheed is to much to give up, you need one of them.  For the regular season and especially considering Perk's injury might be worse than expected.  If you make the trade and rely on Perk returning and he does not return or does so at a reduced level, there is no way we win a title.

Right now, the Celtics have a much better 3rd big vs. a 3rd swing.  They have a better 4th big then 3rd swing.  And when Perk returns, they will have a better 5th big then 3rd swing.

I just believe the Celtics would be better off with a little less talent at the 4th big if it means more talent at the 3rd swing. 

I personally do not.  We have bigs who are old and prone to injury (Perk, Jermaine, KG all with recent major injury history) and as we saw in the Playoffs we had enough from the guards (forgetting the disapearance in the Finals for Ray Ray)but we needed every bit of our frontcourt depth and the lack of it (once Perk went down) was what did us in.  This is also ignoring the possibility that Perk is unable to return at all this season or that he returns at below his former ability, at least for a while.  Thse are both real possibilities.

Our backcourt may be old at SG and SF, but is very young at PG with Rondo and the guys coming off the bench are young as well with Nate, Quis, and Wafer.

In a hypothetical, if Pierce went down we would be screwed.  Prince would remedy that very nicely.  But if one of our bigs went down in this hypothetical, we would have no chance against teams like Orlando or the Lakers (and if the post game proves Miami's weakness, not enough bigs to exploit that).  Who would you hedge your bets on the injury affecting?  Our injury free and resistant (so far) backcourt or our frontcourt with very recent injury history?

If it could be for just Sheed and a 1st rounder I would absolutely love this trade.  But losing BBD and getting no post player back is not a smart move.  If we could get Rudy and filler for Sheed and a 1st I would much rather do that.

I understand your logic completely and again, in an injury to either Ray or Pierce and as a 6th man Prince would be very good on our team, but I just don't know if we could afford to give up the frontcourt depth that I believe we need.  We have some good enough options at the 2/3 in Wafer and Quis and Nate, but with the bigs I think we'd have some really poor options.  Maybe Prince could play some PF, but I don't know if that's the best idea really.
You consider J.O. and Shaq coming off the BENCH poor options?  They are likely gonna take all of Baby's minutes once Perk returns anyway.

Prince is a gigantic improvement over Marquis and Wafer.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 03:18:37 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Davis is the 4th big man, 5th when Perk returns.  I would add a vet min C to fill the 4th spot or resign Scali to hold the fort till Perk returns.

yes, there are still quite a few available big men out there who can be the KG backup and the 5th big when Perk comes back. If they are gonna pull this though, the time is now before training camp starts. That way new players along with the newly acquired would learn the system instead of learning it by February.

I always said, the C's gear is in WIN NOW. Sacrifices must be made. BBD is a great player for Boston but to WIN NOW, we need a back up LeBrick stopper as Pierce can't just do it the whole game. Prince is there and is being shopped. Why not.

my opinion.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 03:25:27 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 393
i would like for us to get Prince. He's exactly what we need in a backup wing. He can log in a lot productive minutes playing good defense both on an individual and team level, he does the little things and he can shoot.

how about this trade instead:

Celtics get Prince

Pistons get our expiring contracts + Bradley.

I don't know how attractive that'd be for the Pistons considering they have Stuckey, so we might have to do a 3-team deal. i'd want to keep Baby as a 4th big because I doubt Perk can really help us this season. Shaq-JO and KG-BBD seems good.

However, if we need to trade BBD to make this work instead of Bradley (i dont know why the Pistons would do that though), then i'd still do it. Prince is a huge upgrade over Quis and Wafer. DA should sign a 4th big then for the vet min. whoever's available. maybe Scal or Earl Barron or Oberto.

- LilRip
- LilRip

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 03:26:40 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I think that gives up too much in the front court. I am fine with losing either one big as long as we keep another, but you lose the depth you need.

I would really like Prince but that seems expensive in general for him now too.  Maybe Sheed and a first rounder?  Or does that not work either?

Yeah, I'm not sure it works without Baby.  Prince is not worth his contract and certainly not worth giving up Baby for.  Too bad he makes so much.  We should set our sights on someone with a more reasonable contract that matches up with Sheed's.
Prince is way better than Big Baby, and he plays a position we need while also being able to play Baby's position probably as good as he could.

Prince could play the PF against certain matchups perhaps, but I do not think he could reliably and he certainly could not play C.  And if you give up Sheed and BBD, you leave little room for injury to our bigs and you make all their minutes go up.

You need a better 4th big man than that.  BBD and Sheed is to much to give up, you need one of them.  For the regular season and especially considering Perk's injury might be worse than expected.  If you make the trade and rely on Perk returning and he does not return or does so at a reduced level, there is no way we win a title.

Right now, the Celtics have a much better 3rd big vs. a 3rd swing.  They have a better 4th big then 3rd swing.  And when Perk returns, they will have a better 5th big then 3rd swing.

I just believe the Celtics would be better off with a little less talent at the 4th big if it means more talent at the 3rd swing. 

I personally do not.  We have bigs who are old and prone to injury (Perk, Jermaine, KG all with recent major injury history) and as we saw in the Playoffs we had enough from the guards (forgetting the disapearance in the Finals for Ray Ray)but we needed every bit of our frontcourt depth and the lack of it (once Perk went down) was what did us in.  This is also ignoring the possibility that Perk is unable to return at all this season or that he returns at below his former ability, at least for a while.  Thse are both real possibilities.

Our backcourt may be old at SG and SF, but is very young at PG with Rondo and the guys coming off the bench are young as well with Nate, Quis, and Wafer.

In a hypothetical, if Pierce went down we would be screwed.  Prince would remedy that very nicely.  But if one of our bigs went down in this hypothetical, we would have no chance against teams like Orlando or the Lakers (and if the post game proves Miami's weakness, not enough bigs to exploit that).  Who would you hedge your bets on the injury affecting?  Our injury free and resistant (so far) backcourt or our frontcourt with very recent injury history?

If it could be for just Sheed and a 1st rounder I would absolutely love this trade.  But losing BBD and getting no post player back is not a smart move.  If we could get Rudy and filler for Sheed and a 1st I would much rather do that.

I understand your logic completely and again, in an injury to either Ray or Pierce and as a 6th man Prince would be very good on our team, but I just don't know if we could afford to give up the frontcourt depth that I believe we need.  We have some good enough options at the 2/3 in Wafer and Quis and Nate, but with the bigs I think we'd have some really poor options.  Maybe Prince could play some PF, but I don't know if that's the best idea really.
You consider J.O. and Shaq coming off the BENCH poor options?  They are likely gonna take all of Baby's minutes once Perk returns anyway.

You didn't read my post?  The point was if we have any injuries in our frontcourt or Perk does not return at full strength or at all (which again are both possibilities) then we have no chance to win the title this year if that is our front court.

We would also be screwed without Prince if say Pierce went down, but Pierce has been healthy as has the rest of our backcourt (save Quis), Jermaine, Perk, KG are all with recent history of major injuries.

We saw in the Finals that if a big goes down we will be screwed.  With this Prince trade we are in the same situation if say Perk went down again.

If Prince could play enough PF well enough, maybe then.  But I don't know if he could and seriously would not want him to against teams like LA.  We would have a much better backup wing, yes, but I think we need the front court depth.  I would love Prince but I think the cost is too high for what we give up inside.

Maybe if there is a decent enough big available for the veterans minimum, but I don't think there are.

If everyone remains healthy this is a better option, but I would not be able to take losing another title because of a frontcourt injury that can't be recovered from because of a lack of depth. 

And the old, if talented, legs we have in our frontcourt would be that much fresher with Big Baby Davis eating up regular season minutes (which he would love).  Our bigs would be more ready for the Playoffs then.  I don't think they care about the regular season much anyways.  Shaq has taken plenty of games off in the last few seasons if you didn't notice, and I'm sure everyone else wouldn't mind being fresher for the playoffs.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 03:37:38 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 03:40:34 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 393

You didn't read my post?  The point was if we have any injuries in our frontcourt or Perk does not return at full strength or at all (which again are both possibilities) then we have no chance to win the title this year if that is our front court.

We would also be screwed without Prince if say Pierce went down, but Pierce has been healthy as has the rest of our backcourt (save Quis), Jermaine, Perk, KG are all with recent history of major injuries.

We saw in the Finals that if a big goes down we will be screwed.  With this Prince trade we are in the same situation if say Perk went down again.

If Prince could play enough PF well enough, maybe then.  But I don't know if he could and seriously would not want him to against teams like LA.  We would have a much better backup wing, yes, but I think we need the front court depth.  I would love Prince but I think the cost is too high for what we give up inside.

Maybe if there is a decent enough big available for the veterans minimum, but I don't think there are.

If everyone remains healthy this is a better option, but I would not be able to take losing another title because of a frontcourt injury that can't be recovered from because of a lack of depth.

You do realize that Bynum is also injury-prone. If he went down (again), who does LA turn to? Ratliff?? Gasol will have to play center and Odom will play the 4 and we can match up with that pretty well.

and if Dwight gets an ACL (i don't think Perk has a history with knee injuries), then the Magic are screwed because they have Gortat and none else.

Injuries will screw any team up. However, relying on passable talent (Quis, who will also surely go down again this season, & Wafer) isn't a good strategy because that way, we'll be kinda screwed even if we are at full strength. PP and RA shouldn't play that many minutes so that they can still finish strong. Prince is very capable.

- LilRip
- LilRip

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 03:43:47 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

The C's should sign another vet. minimum big if this trade is to commence.

I totally agree that we need big depth since Perk is a big ? through out the year. But for a chance to upgrade the SF spot. BBD is the only thing we could offer and sacrificing him for a solid SF would be worth it, i think.

Then comes the vet. minimum big, who can be the backup for KG or JO/Shaq, and be in the "Scal shoes" when, and let's be optimistic here. all bigs come out healthy, Perk comes back in good shape.

Louis Amundson, Earl Barron, Josh Boone, Anthony Tolliver heck let's even put Kwame Brown and Jerome James in there. These names (i think aside from Kwame and J.James but we never know) could be serviceable back for either KG or the Center position and be the 5th big once Perk fully comes in to replace BBD.

Yes, we give up Big Baby but we got the SF upgrade we really wanted.

my opinion.

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 03:48:04 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
If this were on the table Danny does that in a heartbeat I think. There are no minutes for BBD once Perk comes back, and not very many before he does. Jermaine and Shaq will take all the backup minutes minus a few, and once Perk steps in that will be the end of the PT for BBD.

Fortify our wing defense with this move, sign Scal to vet minimum. If Prince doesn't produce then he is a great expiring contract we have at the trade deadline to either pick up a better big if Perk isn't healthy, or another wing guy. BBD and a pick at the end of the first round is an easy choice for this!

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 03:52:16 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
If this were on the table Danny does that in a heartbeat I think. There are no minutes for BBD once Perk comes back, and not very many before he does. Jermaine and Shaq will take all the backup minutes minus a few, and once Perk steps in that will be the end of the PT for BBD.

Fortify our wing defense with this move, sign Scal to vet minimum. If Prince doesn't produce then he is a great expiring contract we have at the trade deadline to either pick up a better big if Perk isn't healthy, or another wing guy. BBD and a pick at the end of the first round is an easy choice for this!

Yes Scal would really be the best choice if this deal goes down. Knows the system already.

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 03:53:45 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Louis Amundson, Earl Barron, Josh Boone, Anthony Tolliver heck let's even put Kwame Brown and Jerome James in there.

Those other names don't interest me, but if Ainge could bring in Louis Amundson at the vet min to replace Baby, that'd make the Prince deal a no-brainer.  Of course, I can't imagine that Amundson won't get more than that from somebody else.

Mike

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2010, 04:01:40 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
This is something I'm torn about. 

On one hand, I'd feel a lot better with Prince at the 3, Daniels at the 2, and Wafer and Bradley on the bench.  Rationalize all you want, but the path to #18 likely goes through Miami, and having a big 3 like Prince could be a huge asset in such a series. 

On the other hand, I the chances of Shaq, KG, and JO each playing all 82 games (or even close to that) is quite small.  Not having Baby could end up hurting us. 

Still, while both trading for Prince and not trading him each come with apparent risks, I think I like our chances with him better.  It's going to take some luck that our three old bigs and Perk are all healthy for playoff time, but I'd rather lose a bunch in the regular season while resting them up and then have Prince to guard James in the playoffs, then have a better regular season and be stuck with the likes of Von Wafer and Avery Bradley potentially having to log significant minutes when Ray and Paul get into foul trouble trying to guard Wade and LeBron. 

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2010, 04:02:09 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I would really like Prince but that seems expensive in general for him now too.  Maybe Sheed and a first rounder?  Or does that not work either?

You need a better 4th big man than that.  BBD and Sheed is to much to give up, you need one of them.  For the regular season and especially considering Perk's injury might be worse than expected.  If you make the trade and rely on Perk returning and he does not return or does so at a reduced level, there is no way we win a title.

Right now, the Celtics have a much better 3rd big vs. a 3rd swing.  They have a better 4th big then 3rd swing.  And when Perk returns, they will have a better 5th big then 3rd swing.

I personally do not.  We have bigs who are old and prone to injury (Perk, Jermaine, KG all with recent major injury history) and as we saw in the Playoffs we had enough from the guards (forgetting the disapearance in the Finals for Ray Ray)but we needed every bit of our frontcourt depth and the lack of it (once Perk went down) was what did us in.  This is also ignoring the possibility that Perk is unable to return at all this season or that he returns at below his former ability, at least for a while.  Thse are both real possibilities.

In a hypothetical, if Pierce went down we would be screwed.  Prince would remedy that very nicely.  But if one of our bigs went down in this hypothetical, we would have no chance against teams like Orlando or the Lakers (and if the post game proves Miami's weakness, not enough bigs to exploit that).  Who would you hedge your bets on the injury affecting?  Our injury free and resistant (so far) backcourt or our frontcourt with very recent injury history?

If it could be for just Sheed and a 1st rounder I would absolutely love this trade.  But losing BBD and getting no post player back is not a smart move.  If we could get Rudy and filler for Sheed and a 1st I would much rather do that.

I understand your logic completely and again, in an injury to either Ray or Pierce and as a 6th man Prince would be very good on our team, but I just don't know if we could afford to give up the frontcourt depth that I believe we need.  We have some good enough options at the 2/3 in Wafer and Quis and Nate, but with the bigs I think we'd have some really poor options.  Maybe Prince could play some PF, but I don't know if that's the best idea really.
You consider J.O. and Shaq coming off the BENCH poor options?  They are likely gonna take all of Baby's minutes once Perk returns anyway.

You didn't read my post?  The point was if we have any injuries in our frontcourt or Perk does not return at full strength or at all (which again are both possibilities) then we have no chance to win the title this year if that is our front court.

We saw in the Finals that if a big goes down we will be screwed.  With this Prince trade we are in the same situation if say Perk went down again.

If Prince could play enough PF well enough, maybe then.  But I don't know if he could and seriously would not want him to against teams like LA.  We would have a much better backup wing, yes, but I think we need the front court depth.  I would love Prince but I think the cost is too high for what we give up inside.

You do realize that Bynum is also injury-prone. If he went down (again), who does LA turn to? Ratliff?? Gasol will have to play center and Odom will play the 4 and we can match up with that pretty well.

and if Dwight gets an ACL (i don't think Perk has a history with knee injuries), then the Magic are screwed because they have Gortat and none else.

Injuries will screw any team up. However, relying on passable talent (Quis, who will also surely go down again this season, & Wafer) isn't a good strategy because that way, we'll be kinda screwed even if we are at full strength. PP and RA shouldn't play that many minutes so that they can still finish strong. Prince is very capable.

- LilRip

1) We can talk hypotheticals among other teams if we want but I just am thinking about last year... if we had a decent enough 5th big to step up for Perkins we would have won the NBA title.

2) Just because other teams are thin up front doesn't mean we should be.  Bynum has an injury history but Howard does not.  Either way, both are young and we have old bigs who are injury prone... not a good combo. Certainly less favorable than the other situations.  

Also, BBD would be an asset if you manage the regular season keeping an eye on the postseason, as you should.  You can then give the old bigs reduced minutes or games off during the season.  Did anyone watch Shaq the last couple regular seasons?  He takes games off.  Big Baby would be happy for more regular season PT and the old guys would benefit in the  Playoffs from more rest (and less time on the court they could get injured in pointless regular season games)

3) Besides the changes in bigs, our team is mostly the same.  We lost TA, but added Wafer.  Nate will play a bigger role this year, hopefully Quis remains healthy, and Wafer will play some minutes.  That is basically where TA's playing time will go (barring some sort of trade like the one for Prince).  So basically you think TA is that good?  If things go well, Quis can be the stopper we need and Wafer can bring in the offense (that Finley was supposed to). We came within a handful of points from winning the NBA title, and it wasn't because of anything but a lack of frontcourt depth (and Ray's missing shots, but that is unpredictable ).  Our backcourt is not just "passable talent" if it was that close to a title.

Louis Amundson, Earl Barron, Josh Boone, Anthony Tolliver heck let's even put Kwame Brown and Jerome James in there.

Those other names don't interest me, but if Ainge could bring in Louis Amundson at the vet min to replace Baby, that'd make the Prince deal a no-brainer.  Of course, I can't imagine that Amundson won't get more than that from somebody else.

Mike

Exactly right there.  Amudson would be brilliant and I'd say yes immediately to this trade, but a promising and athletic young big like him will demand more than the veterans minimum.  Darko just made 20 million.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2010, 04:09:17 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I wish we could send Davis + Sheed and a first rounder for Parker and Sideshow Bob.  I doubt CLE would do it as they have no other bigs.

I love Prince but don't know if we should do it.

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2010, 04:12:22 PM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59

Mike

Wow I just mentioned the same thing in another thread. If we were to trade Baby to get Prince, then we should try and grab Lou for the vet min (who is surprisingly still available).

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2010, 04:12:35 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
maybe Lou Amundson would go for a vet. minimum and a chance to win a ring even if he's young. He's still available even up to know, which is weird for a big man like him. Which also makes me think nobody is really trying to get him.

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2010, 04:34:25 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115

1) We can talk hypotheticals among other teams if we want but I just am thinking about last year... if we had a decent enough 5th big to step up for Perkins we would have won the NBA title.

Snakehead, you just proved why your argument was wrong and why we should make that trade for Prince if it's available.  You are concerned about depth at the big-man position, and even cite that if we had a "decent enough 5th big to step up for Perkins we would have won the NBA title," which basically says that BBD is not a decent enough big to step up for Perkins.  We had Davis, and you are admitting that he's not enough of a backup.  And I agree with you. 

Now we have Jermaine O'Neal and Shaquille O'neal, which despite potential injury concerns, is more depth than we had last year.  Davis is far down on the depth chart and I think it'd be VERY wise if we could trade him (and Sheed's contract, etc) for a SF/PF "1st off the bench" kind of guy.  Not to mention that Prince matches up well with our biggest opponents.