Author Topic: Sheed/Big Baby/1st Rounder for Tayshaun Prince  (Read 9831 times)

Sheed/Big Baby/1st Rounder for Tayshaun Prince
« on: August 09, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »

Offline DinoRadjaLives

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
Just checked this trade on tradechecker and it works. In baby they get a great big off the bench for cheap and some instant cap relief in Sheed while building for the future with a 1st rounder. I would feel more confident with Prince as a back up 3 than Marquise. This trade would make us pretty deep.

What do you all Think?
"The Boston Celtics are not a basketball team, they are a way of life" - Red Auerbach

Re: Sheed/Big Baby/1st Rounder for Tayshaun Prince
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 01:19:26 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I think that gives up too much in the front court. I am fine with losing either one big as long as we keep another, but you lose the depth you need.

I would really like Prince but that seems expensive in general for him now too.  Maybe Sheed and a first rounder?  Or does that not work either?
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 01:22:59 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I think that gives up too much in the front court. I am fine with losing either one big as long as we keep another, but you lose the depth you need.

I would really like Prince but that seems expensive in general for him now too.  Maybe Sheed and a first rounder?  Or does that not work either?

Yeah, I'm not sure it works without Baby.  Prince is not worth his contract and certainly not worth giving up Baby for.  Too bad he makes so much.  We should set our sights on someone with a more reasonable contract that matches up with Sheed's.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 01:48:34 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I suggested a couple similar ideas of this trade in another thread. Fact is, there aren't many options for us with Sheed's contract other than keeping him. Prince is an expiring, so who cares what he makes. He fills a need for us, and he's versatile enough to play both forward spots.

And what's with the BBD infatuation? When Perk returns, BBD would be in Scal's shoes. There's no need for a 5or 6th big(specially an undersized PF) when you have 4 guys ahead of him that excel at their positions. 

On another note, we do this 2 for 1 trade, and Sheed could always come back in February after his buyout. With or without Sheed, our team in the post is sick.

Rondo - Nate - Bradley
Ray - Wafer - Quis
Pierce - Prince - Luke
KG - JO - *Sheed*
Perk - Shaq - Erdin
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 01:53:50 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I suggested a couple similar ideas of this trade in another thread. Fact is, there aren't many options for us with Sheed's contract other than keeping him. Prince is an expiring, so who cares what he makes. He fills a need for us, and he's versatile enough to play both forward spots.

And what's with the BBD infatuation? When Perk returns, BBD would be in Scal's shoes. There's no need for a 5or 6th big(specially an undersized PF) when you have 4 guys ahead of him that excel at their positions. 

On another note, we do this 2 for 1 trade, and Sheed could always come back in February after his buyout. With or without Sheed, our team in the post is sick.

Rondo - Nate - Bradley
Ray - Wafer - Quis
Pierce - Prince - Luke
KG - JO - *Sheed*
Perk - Shaq - Erdin

I'm not sure a player like Tayshaun is that productive when playing limited minutes.  And given the age and injury history of KG, JO Shaq and Perk AND that JO, Shaq and Perk are not all that mobile, I'd be leery of dealing Davis in any circumstance.

Mike

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 02:03:26 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Yeah, I'm not sure it works without Baby.  Prince is not worth his contract and certainly not worth giving up Baby for.  Too bad he makes so much.  We should set our sights on someone with a more reasonable contract that matches up with Sheed's.
Prince is way better than Big Baby, and he plays a position we need while also being able to play Baby's position probably as good as he could.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 02:07:44 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I would likely pull the trigger on this deal. 

Prince would give the Celtics a reliable 6th man at the SF position. 

Davis is the 4th big man, 5th when Perk returns.  I would add a vet min C to fill the 4th spot or resign Scali to hold the fort till Perk returns.

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 02:12:21 PM »

Offline ms.bball41

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 3
big baby stays!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

Prince is way better than Big Baby, and he plays a position we need while also being able to play Baby's position probably as good as he could.

Prince could play the PF against certain matchups perhaps, but I do not think he could reliably and he certainly could not play C.  And if you give up Sheed and BBD, you leave little room for injury to our bigs and you make all their minutes go up.

Davis is the 4th big man, 5th when Perk returns.  I would add a vet min C to fill the 4th spot or resign Scali to hold the fort till Perk returns.

You need a better 4th big man than that.  BBD and Sheed is to much to give up, you need one of them.  For the regular season and especially considering Perk's injury might be worse than expected.  If you make the trade and rely on Perk returning and he does not return or does so at a reduced level, there is no way we win a title.

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 02:24:50 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Prince could play the PF against certain matchups perhaps, but I do not think he could reliably and he certainly could not play C.  And if you give up Sheed and BBD, you leave little room for injury to our bigs and you make all their minutes go up.

You need a better 4th big man than that.  BBD and Sheed is to much to give up, you need one of them.  For the regular season and especially considering Perk's injury might be worse than expected.  If you make the trade and rely on Perk returning and he does not return or does so at a reduced level, there is no way we win a title.

Wallace is retiring.  He is not playing.

Right now, the Celtics have a much better 3rd big vs. a 3rd swing.  They have a better 4th big then 3rd swing.  And when Perk returns, they will have a better 5th big then 3rd swing.

I just believe the Celtics would be better off with a little less talent at the 4th big if it means more talent at the 3rd swing. 

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 02:31:59 PM »

Offline Celts17Pride

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
No haps on that deal.RT @Asijs: @RedsArmy @SherrodbCSN Tayshaun Prince 4 Sheed & Gaffney, Laffayete & Bradley or Sheed & Perk. Deal? :)
about 18 hours ago via TweetDeck

http://twitter.com/sherrodbcsn

A. Sherrod Blakely says that ain't happening.

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 02:40:05 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

Prince could play the PF against certain matchups perhaps, but I do not think he could reliably and he certainly could not play C.  And if you give up Sheed and BBD, you leave little room for injury to our bigs and you make all their minutes go up.

Right now, the Celtics have a much better 3rd big vs. a 3rd swing.  They have a better 4th big then 3rd swing.  And when Perk returns, they will have a better 5th big then 3rd swing.

I just believe the Celtics would be better off with a little less talent at the 4th big if it means more talent at the 3rd swing. 

I personally do not.  We have bigs who are old and prone to injury (Perk, Jermaine, KG all with recent major injury history) and as we saw in the Playoffs we had enough from the guards (forgetting the disapearance in the Finals for Ray Ray)but we needed every bit of our frontcourt depth and the lack of it (once Perk went down) was what did us in.  This is also ignoring the possibility that Perk is unable to return at all this season or that he returns at below his former ability, at least for a while.  Thse are both real possibilities.

Our backcourt may be old at SG and SF, but is very young at PG with Rondo and the guys coming off the bench are young as well with Nate, Quis, and Wafer.

In a hypothetical, if Pierce went down we would be screwed.  Prince would remedy that very nicely.  But if one of our bigs went down in this hypothetical, we would have no chance against teams like Orlando or the Lakers (and if the post game proves Miami's weakness, not enough bigs to exploit that).  Who would you hedge your bets on the injury affecting?  Our injury free and resistant (so far) backcourt or our frontcourt with very recent injury history?

If it could be for just Sheed and a 1st rounder I would absolutely love this trade.  But losing BBD and getting no post player back is not a smart move.  If we could get Rudy and filler for Sheed and a 1st I would much rather do that.

I understand your logic completely and again, in an injury to either Ray or Pierce and as a 6th man Prince would be very good on our team, but I just don't know if we could afford to give up the frontcourt depth that I believe we need.  We have some good enough options at the 2/3 in Wafer and Quis and Nate, but with the bigs I think we'd have some really poor options.  Maybe Prince could play some PF, but I don't know if that's the best idea really.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 02:56:49 PM by Snakehead »

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 02:41:46 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 229
i'd like to see us make this trade if we can leave the 1st rounder out of the deal (don't think we'd need to offer it) and then maybe trade a 2nd rounder to cleveland for Leon "The show" Powe to maintain power at the PF spot

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 02:53:11 PM »

Offline Asijs

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 54
No haps on that deal.RT @Asijs: @RedsArmy @SherrodbCSN Tayshaun Prince 4 Sheed & Gaffney, Laffayete & Bradley or Sheed & Perk. Deal? :)
about 18 hours ago via TweetDeck

http://twitter.com/sherrodbcsn

A. Sherrod Blakely says that ain't happening.
Haha, that was my question. :D But, when Perk will be back, that means: C - Perk, Shaq ; PF - Garnett / JO / Davis. Davis would have few minutes: 0-10, IMO

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 02:53:37 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Love the trade. Give us a great SF off the bench. I do worry about Prince's injury history however, especially recently. I still don't hesitate at the chance to add him to the roster.