Author Topic: Rudy to Boston rumor  (Read 13839 times)

Re: Rudy to Boston rumor
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 08:57:05 AM »

Offline Potapenko Boxout

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
Forgive my ignorance, but I don't feel that signing Von Wafer in any way should slow down our aggression toward acquiring Rudy.

However I am tentative to trade Baby off the team if we aren't receiving someone like Joel Pryz back in the deal. I don't want to ship out first rounders, either. We need some Danny Ainge-type last first rounders for when the Big Three and Friends are washed up.

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 09:04:07 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
As others have said, it can't happen for months.  And the Celtics didn't sign Ray to trade him this year.  Especially for that crap package. 

You don't trade a borderline All Star shooting guard for two backups. 
But the only reason he isn't a starter is BECAUSE the starter IS an All-Star. Plus, that expiring would help us as well in the future.

Forget the future.  The future is now.  And while Fernandez may have a bright future, if the was really better than Ray Allen, the Blazers would find a way to get him minutes and wouldn't be looking to trade him for a draft pick. 

And Ray's perceived one-dimensional nature is part of the system, not the player.  Ray can, and does, score in other ways.  However, Doc runs the plays he does for him to get Ray quick shots and to spread the floor. 

You can't just run isos with everyone all game. 

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 09:34:25 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Forgive my ignorance, but I don't feel that signing Von Wafer in any way should slow down our aggression toward acquiring Rudy.

However I am tentative to trade Baby off the team if we aren't receiving someone like Joel Pryz back in the deal. I don't want to ship out first rounders, either. We need some Danny Ainge-type last first rounders for when the Big Three and Friends are washed up.

I don't think you have much to worry about, we literally can't trade Baby without getting a minutes eater back. KG and Jermaine O'Neal are 30 minutes per night guys.

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 09:39:05 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I haven't been to CelticsBlog since....well, you know. I promised myself I'd take a good long break, but this was just too interesting, so here I am.

I live in Portland and, as you might expect, there is lots of Rudy trade talk. While I didn't hear the sports radio guys myself, I've had two different people tell me that the Portland radio guys were discussing a rumor yesterday that involved Portland sending Rudy and Pryzbilla to Boston for Ray Allen.

Sounds crazy at first, but assuming the numbers work (Pryzbilla apparently has a fairly hefty expiring contract), this sounds less and less crazy the more I think about it.
I wouldn't be opposed to that move. I think if he actually started, he could be a better producer than Ray. He's not one-dimensional like Ray is with his catch-and-shoot style. Also, he's only 25. I think this would help us out now AND in the future. Cause we'd have quality youth at the 1,2,4, and 5 spots with Rondo/Nate, Fernandez/Bradley, Davis, and Perk

Rudy Fernandez is one dimensional. Ray can at least play defense.

Rudy would be a great bench addition, but a flawed starter.

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2010, 09:52:52 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I haven't been to CelticsBlog since....well, you know. I promised myself I'd take a good long break, but this was just too interesting, so here I am.

I live in Portland and, as you might expect, there is lots of Rudy trade talk. While I didn't hear the sports radio guys myself, I've had two different people tell me that the Portland radio guys were discussing a rumor yesterday that involved Portland sending Rudy and Pryzbilla to Boston for Ray Allen.

Sounds crazy at first, but assuming the numbers work (Pryzbilla apparently has a fairly hefty expiring contract), this sounds less and less crazy the more I think about it.
I wouldn't be opposed to that move. I think if he actually started, he could be a better producer than Ray. He's not one-dimensional like Ray is with his catch-and-shoot style. Also, he's only 25. I think this would help us out now AND in the future. Cause we'd have quality youth at the 1,2,4, and 5 spots with Rondo/Nate, Fernandez/Bradley, Davis, and Perk

Rudy Fernandez is one dimensional. Ray can at least play defense.

Rudy would be a great bench addition, but a flawed starter.

Rudy Fernandez is NOT a one dimensional player -- this is exactly the point of why he's asking to be traded. He's being asked to stand around and shoot 3s, when he's actually a very good cutter, passer and mid-range player.

Meanwhile, i find the "at least Ray can play defense" line pretty humorous. Before arriving in Boston, he could hardly be mistaken as ANY kind of defender. He needed to work on it and take it more seriously on a team with true championship aspirations. There's no reason to believe that Fernandez could not make the same transition.

The assumption going around that Rudy is luggage in any other capacity but shooting 3s is just that -- an assumption. It removes his potential to blossom in another environment, which i think is a mistake.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2010, 10:07:44 AM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71

I think signing Wafer might actually give us a little leverage.  Before we signed him there was a gaping hole at the backup 2 guard.  Now there isn't.  Portland might see their options disappearing and jump at the best current offer, which might be Boston.

I don't see the need to trade Ray to get him though.  Sheed's contract or even just a future first rounder straight up for Rudy should be enough.

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 10:32:04 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Sounds like wishful thinking from the exes camp on acquiring Ray Allen.

I like Joel Przbilla a lot but I think I keep Ray Allen because we need wingers after the loss of Tony Allen.

Does Rudy Fernandez play defense like Ray Allen does?

Did not think so.

If you want to get crazy, try this idea out for size:

Perkins, Rondo, Sheed's contract

for

Greg Oden, Andre Miller, Rudy Fernandez, Travis Outlaw (S%T)  :o

I'll have a lynch mob after me for trying to trade Rondo but I like to think outside the box a bit.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 10:52:19 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Isn't travis outlaw already on the nets? Or maybe the clippers? The trade is pretty ridiculous and not sure why we would do it

Sounds like wishful thinking from the exes camp on acquiring Ray Allen.

I like Joel Przbilla a lot but I think I keep Ray Allen because we need wingers after the loss of Tony Allen.

Does Rudy Fernandez play defense like Ray Allen does?

Did not think so.

If you want to get crazy, try this idea out for size:

Perkins, Rondo, Sheed's contract

for

Greg Oden, Andre Miller, Rudy Fernandez, Travis Outlaw (S%T)  :o

I'll have a lynch mob after me for trying to trade Rondo but I like to think outside the box a bit.

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 10:53:53 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
LOL yes TO signed a fiver year 37 million dollar contract with NJ

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2010, 10:57:18 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Awful....Just awful.

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 10:57:50 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
LOL yes TO signed a fiver year 37 million dollar contract with NJ

Woops, the Basketball Judge just upped my sentence to 5 WNBA games for poor BBQ basketball league awareness as well as attempting to steal the NBA Title from the Lakers.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 11:52:28 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I think it's a good idea for rebuilding. Though I wouldn't do it if I know that we have a championship quality team. It will certainly kill the chemistry all together.

But if were only contenders and not really sure about a championship run (teams like the Bucks, Hawks, Jazz), yeah I'd go for it.

But not this time.

Still it wont be pretty bad idea.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 04:59:37 PM »

Offline Jack_Frost

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 52
Here you have an excerpt from a very long Rudy's interview published today by "Marca"

Please forget my english and my translation from spanish (i'm italian)

about leaving Portland

Best choice for me. I'm tired to wait.... I think Portland can ask good price for me: i've got a rookie contract, many teams are interested in my contract. I understand what Portland is asking for, but i give them my help, so i hope they can help me now.

What about Boston, Chicago or New York?

They are all good franchises and cities. I'd like to play where i can win the ring and show my game. If Portland is going to trade me without any warranty i will consider to come back in Europe. But i'd like to play in Nba.

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 05:04:05 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Here you have an excerpt from a very long Rudy's interview published today by "Marca"

Please forget my english and my translation from spanish (i'm italian)

about leaving Portland

Best choice for me. I'm tired to wait.... I think Portland can ask good price for me: i've got a rookie contract, many teams are interested in my contract. I understand what Portland is asking for, but i give them my help, so i hope they can help me now.

What about Boston, Chicago or New York?

They are all good franchises and cities. I'd like to play where i can win the ring and show my game. If Portland is going to trade me without any warranty i will consider to come back in Europe. But i'd like to play in Nba.

Your English is fine, thanks for the translation. TP  ;D

It is similar to what he's said before I think but the ring bit is maybe emphasized more.  Only Boston out of those 3 will get him a ring, that's for sure.  I hope we could get him for a pick or something, because we no longer have the Sheed contract.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2010, 05:10:44 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Celtics are not trading Ray Allen. Ray Allen can't even be traded until Dec. 15th.

LOL!  Good god, is that Porland Maine or Oregon.
No way.  Jesus stays in Boston!
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-