Author Topic: Rudy to Boston rumor  (Read 13838 times)

Rudy to Boston rumor
« on: July 29, 2010, 11:32:23 AM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I haven't been to CelticsBlog since....well, you know. I promised myself I'd take a good long break, but this was just too interesting, so here I am.

I live in Portland and, as you might expect, there is lots of Rudy trade talk. While I didn't hear the sports radio guys myself, I've had two different people tell me that the Portland radio guys were discussing a rumor yesterday that involved Portland sending Rudy and Pryzbilla to Boston for Ray Allen.

Sounds crazy at first, but assuming the numbers work (Pryzbilla apparently has a fairly hefty expiring contract), this sounds less and less crazy the more I think about it.

Re: Rudy to Boston rumor
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 11:35:46 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I haven't been to CelticsBlog since....well, you know. I promised myself I'd take a good long break, but this was just too interesting, so here I am.

I live in Portland and, as you might expect, there is lots of Rudy trade talk. While I didn't hear the sports radio guys myself, I've had two different people tell me that the Portland radio guys were discussing a rumor yesterday that involved Portland sending Rudy and Pryzbilla to Boston for Ray Allen.

Sounds crazy at first, but assuming the numbers work (Pryzbilla apparently has a fairly hefty expiring contract), this sounds less and less crazy the more I think about it.

Personally I hate that idea. It doesn't address our issue at the 2 guard, and while if we were rebuilding this upcoming season I like that, and I'd love to pickup Pryzbilla, we need depth at the 2/3. This just changes one aging but reliable piece for one younger but unknown quantity.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 11:36:46 AM »

Offline Celts17Pride

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Celtics are not trading Ray Allen. Ray Allen can't even be traded until Dec. 15th.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 11:37:42 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
wow. I can't think of a recent rumor I like less than that one...

I can't imagine it's for real because it just makes us so much worse.....

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 11:40:01 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Well, for one thing, Ray can't be traded until December 15th, so everyone can rest easy on this one.

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 11:41:18 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

No, it's really crazy.  The trade itself isn't all that terrible as a value for value move if Ainge were looking to start the rebuilding process.  But that's not why he signed Nate and JO.

Mike

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 11:47:34 AM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
Oh yeah, if Ray can't be traded until Dec. 15th, then this is a worthless rumor. Sorry. Like I said, I've been WAY out of the loop for the last month...

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 12:03:41 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
As others have said, it can't happen for months.  And the Celtics didn't sign Ray to trade him this year.  Especially for that crap package. 

You don't trade a borderline All Star shooting guard for two backups. 

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 12:58:59 PM »

Offline 17wasEZ

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
Oh yeah, if Ray can't be traded until Dec. 15th, then this is a worthless rumor. Sorry. Like I said, I've been WAY out of the loop for the last month...

No excuse! That just goes to show that you needed to be here sulking like the rest of us.  ;D

Actually, I've been reading this board for a couple of years but decided to start dropping a few posts as a change of pace. Was your change of pace beneficial? Did being out of the loop help your blood pressure?
We all think we know more than we really do....

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 01:10:22 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum

No excuse! That just goes to show that you needed to be here sulking like the rest of us.  ;D

Actually, I've been reading this board for a couple of years but decided to start dropping a few posts as a change of pace. Was your change of pace beneficial? Did being out of the loop help your blood pressure?

Actually, it's helped a lot. I took game 7 REALLY hard - not in any real life-threatening way, but it hurt like being dumped by a girl that you were totally in love with because she was more interested in some preppy loser guy. I needed to get away. Honestly, after poking around here this morning, I'm seeing that I'm still not ready to come back...

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 01:13:30 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
We just re upped Ray, he's not going anywhere.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 02:56:17 PM »

Offline 17wasEZ

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39

Actually, it's helped a lot. I took game 7 REALLY hard - not in any real life-threatening way, but it hurt like being dumped by a girl that you were totally in love with because she was more interested in some preppy loser guy. I needed to get away. Honestly, after poking around here this morning, I'm seeing that I'm still not ready to come back...

Well, I live in Los Angeles and I hear ya! Can't turn around without seeing some sort of Laker memorabilia EVERYDAY! Sports radio still mentions it everyday. I still have family/friends throwing jabs whenever an opportunity arises.

I can live with the knowledgeable ones.  They remember how embarrassing L.A.'s '08 loss was to our guys and this has made them feel better. I can respect that. It's the:

-If Bynum was healthy in '08 (even though he's rarely healthy) or;
-The "old" Celtics were tired in Game 7 (true, but it goes both ways since the C's outshot them 40%-32%), or;
-The Lakers are the best every year (so they should never lose) or;
-The Eastern Conference and Boston sucks and the Lakers should have won in 5, etc.

... crowd that still bugs a little. They seem to forget that if there were a few less/more 4th quarter whistles or if a couple of plays/shots happen differently, the parade would have taken place a few thousand miles away. The knowledgeable fans are just happy their team came out on top.

This isn't to take away anything from the Lakers, it's just that the unknowledgeable fans can't let you wear your Celtic gear in peace without throwing out a disparaging remark or comment like "Boston sucks" or "______ Boston!".

Believe me, the more you are around it (or around here) the easier it gets.
We all think we know more than we really do....

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 07:55:03 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Ray for an unproven player and a one-legged center?

No.

Not today. Not on Dec. 15. Not ever.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 08:29:21 AM »

Offline Celtics Insider

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28

I wouldn't be opposed to that move. I think if he actually started, he could be a better producer than Ray. He's not one-dimensional like Ray is with his catch-and-shoot style. Also, he's only 25. I think this would help us out now AND in the future. Cause we'd have quality youth at the 1,2,4, and 5 spots with Rondo/Nate, Fernandez/Bradley, Davis, and Perk
http://celticsinsider.freehostingcloud.com/
Celtics Insider - Your #1 Source For Anything And Everything Boston Celtics And NBA!

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 08:30:48 AM »

Offline Celtics Insider

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
As others have said, it can't happen for months.  And the Celtics didn't sign Ray to trade him this year.  Especially for that crap package. 

You don't trade a borderline All Star shooting guard for two backups. 
But the only reason he isn't a starter is BECAUSE the starter IS an All-Star. Plus, that expiring would help us as well in the future.
http://celticsinsider.freehostingcloud.com/
Celtics Insider - Your #1 Source For Anything And Everything Boston Celtics And NBA!