Author Topic: Should Jaden Springer be playing more?  (Read 4362 times)

Re: Should Jaden Springer be playing more?
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2024, 04:20:51 PM »

Online Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
Springer was -3 in 8 minutes. He is just not good enough right now to take minutes from anyone.  He was useful vs ATL with White and Holiday out.

I re-watched those 8 minutes plus the final few minutes of the game. On each team's possession I stopped the video and took notes.

I came away feeling even more impressed with Jaden than I had previously.

I learned that he's tough as nails on defense. Most of the time he ended up guarding Dejounte Murray. Who never successfully scored on him. Although, he did get two free throws that missed. I believe thoughts of Jaden were still in his head.

In Atlanta's first possession after Jaden left the game, Murray threw up a 3 point shot - which missed. Judging from I watched previously, I doubt very much he would have taken that shot had Springer been guarding him.

Here's a synopsis of Dejounte's success with Springer gone. 1. He assists to an open Bogdanović for 3.
2.  He gets fouled by Tatum for 2 free throws.
3.   He takes Al to the basket for an easy layup.
4.   Near the end of the game he's guarded by Porzingis. Who basically leaves him with a wide open shot - which misses. The rebounded pass goes out to Hunter for 3.  Game over!

I'm not saying the Celtics would have won the game had Springer played. But, I'm fairly confident Murray would have had a much harder time controlling the outcome had Springer played.

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2024, 04:44:56 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
Springer was -3 in 8 minutes. He is just not good enough right now to take minutes from anyone.  He was useful vs ATL with White and Holiday out.

I re-watched those 8 minutes plus the final few minutes of the game. On each team's possession I stopped the video and took notes.

I learned that he's tough as nails on defense. Most of the time he ended up guarding Dejounte Murray. Who never successfully scored on him. Although, he did get two free throws that missed. I believe thoughts of Jaden were still in his head.

In Atlanta's first possession after Jaden left the game, Murray threw up a 3 point shot - which missed. Judging from I watched previously, I doubt very much he would have taken that shot had Springer been guarding him.

Here's a synopsis of Dejounte's success with Springer gone. 1. He assists to an open Bogdanović for 3.
4.   Near the end of the game he's guarded by Porzingis. Who basically leaves him with a wide open shot - which misses. The rebounded pass goes out to Hunter for 3.  Game over!

I'm not saying the Celtics would have won the game had Springer played. But, I'm fairly confident Murray would have had a much harder time controlling the outcome had Springer played.

Good synopsis!
What about on the offensive end?

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2024, 05:23:50 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Don’t get me wrong. I think Springer is a nice pick up. A good prospect to be taking a look at.  I just don’t see him in the rotation this season.  He may have a nice NBA career but right now, he is a fringe NBA talent. 

He gave 8 solid minutes on a night we were down our top 2 PGs. Good for him. But what do we realistically expect from him this season. 

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2024, 06:25:50 PM »

Online Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton

Good synopsis!
What about on the offensive end?

I didn’t take comprehensive notes on the offensive end. But jotted down few items. (some of this may be redundant and in no particular order)

On the offensive end, things started poorly. At the beginning of the 4th quarter Svi threw an uncatchable, ill-advised pass to him under the basket that went out of bounds leaving the Celtics with 2.7 seconds on the clock. Tatum missed the ensuing outside jumper. (FWIW Years ago, the Pacers had a player who would wander the baseline and receive a pass beneath the basket. He would drive me crazy because he did it so often. Sorry, can’t think of the name of the player.) 

Jaden dribbled the ball up the court and passed off without losing possession. He seems to have an acceptable left-handed dribble for this purpose.

Both Tatum and Houser were able to get open but missed their 3 point attempts. Sri hit an opportune 3 from the corner. Tatum hit an open jump shot. Atlanta really pressured the ball, especially Tatum. The refs could have called a few more fouls against Atlanta but decided to let them play.

Jaden spent much of his time either in the corner or wandering closer to the hoop. Neither position left him in a position to score. In a previous post I noted how the Celtics did the same thing with Aaron Nesmith. They left him uselessly in the corner, rather than positioning him where he could drive to the hoop. In Indiana he does that all the time. Thus, making him a more efficient player.

The team really doesn’t include Jaden in the offense. The strategy must be to leave room for Tatum and the rest of the team room to operate closer to the hoop.

One thing I noted, I feel he should be more alert and positioning himself to grab an occasional offensive rebound. Sometimes, he seems to be napping because he’s not in the play. That might be a coaching oversight. Or, lackadaisical play. I would advise him to stay alert and position himself to grab a rebound or receive a pass more often. Even decoy with his hands outstretched mimicking that he’s about to receive a pass. That way he might draw the defensive player away from the basket. He probably should be crashing the boards more. I’m wondering with his height and strength that he might be able to post up smaller or weaker players. I’d probably try running an isolation play using him. I’m not sure?

He never seemed to be in a position to receive a pass, except for the corner 3 pointer that he missed. He did have an opportunity to grab an offensive rebound, but the shot clock went off and the play ended.

Good defense led to an offensive possession. He got fouled while defending against a pick. The ball went back to the C’s. He also grabbed a rebound in the lane and drove the length of the court for a euro-step layup. I believe Joe took him out of the game after missing the 3-pointer from the corner. It was an accurate overshoot, that hit the back end of the rim if I remember correctly.

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2024, 06:36:28 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
Here’s what Brad had to say. Seems to like him, but views Jaden as a project.

"We had followed Jaden for a while," Stevens told NBC Sports Boston's Chris Forsberg in an exclusive interview Friday. "Jaden went from a guy that I was interested in to a guy I was really interested in after our preseason game here when I saw him really defend -- like really, really defend.

"So I watched him a little bit closer. The game against us (in Philly) was an interesting game, I don't remember that quite as well maybe. But we have been paying attention as we've gone into this trade deadline as he's been playing more, and the matchups he's had."

"My expectation is for Jaden to come in and keep improving," Stevens said. "He's got to improve his offensive game, he's got to improve his shooting. But he has ability defensively that is really unique. And as I said in my media scrum, he's younger than most of the guys that we're looking at in the draft. So I think that ultimately there's a lot there."
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2024, 11:26:51 AM »

Online Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
I brought the idea of playing Springer up in the past. It didn't go over well with most posters. The majority figure he's not ready for prime time.

One thing that stuck with me is how well he defensed Murray when playing against Atlanta - in particular their first of two end of season meetings.

He rattled Murray to no end - annoying him the whole time he was on the court. What was unusual was he shadowed Murray all the way up the court - basically intimidating him with his size and closeness. I'm not talking playing off him 4 or 5 feet away. Rather, he followed him up the court almost bodying him.

What else Jaden brought to that game was disruption, e.g., a tipped ball, a steal, an unexpected rebound and baskets in the lane against smaller, less physical players. Yes, I know he was -3 for that game against Atlanta. But, that wasn't his fault. He was often playing with second string players if I remember correctly. 

I only saw part of the first half of the second Miami game. It didn't look like the Celtics were disrupting much of the Miami offense.

In the upcoming games, if the Celtics struggle to keep Hero or any other player in check, then it might be a good idea to see if Springer could again play the role of a disrupter. Miami seems to thrive on Boston's defensive schemes. Having someone like Springer on the court might restrict their free flowing offense. I wouldn't be afraid to put him in with the first string players. He can hold his own physically against anyone.

Obviously, this wouldn't be my first course of action, but if what they are doing isn't working. Then, it might be worth shaking things up.

Another player who might disrupt Miami's offense could be Queta. His shot blocking and rebounding could create a more chaotic defense. Again, I would only use him if things weren't going well. Yes, I'm aware of his limitations. But, if what you are doing isn't working. It might be a good idea to try something else.

Coaches tend to be conservative in their playing rotations. Joe is no different. Thus, I wouldn't expect him to play either Jaden or Queta. If he doesn't do that, then him might consider having the Celtics shadow their hottest shooter all the way up the court. Just to annoy them.

Another player who tends to act as a disrupter is Queta. s the action is