Author Topic: 2017-2018 Anthony Davis season Watch Thread  (Read 18649 times)

Re: 2017-2018 Anthony Davis season Watch Thread
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2018, 10:43:53 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
He's just taunting us at this point.  Tonight: 53 pts, 17 reb, 5 blk, 3 ast, 1 stl.

HOLY....  :o :o :o

Pelicans on a 6-game winning streak as well, and in a tight playoff race, they are currently the 6 seed in the West (not far off from the 5 seed). Makes you wonder if it's true Cousins really does hold teams back...  ???

Anyways, it is also kind of weird how AD posts these stat lines and yet the Pelican wins are still mostly by small margins. Idk, just something I've noticed too (not to take anything away from Davis)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2018, 10:44:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
COMPLETELY HYPOTHETICAL

Even if AD was traded to Boston this summer or next year's deadline.

The likely trade that would work in terms of matching salary is Brown, Morris, Rozier, Yabusele, Nader AND (possibly) Ojeyele FOR JUST Davis. Then of course, the Kings Pick + 1-2 more first rounders.

Is he really worth all that? That seems to gut our team. What's our team after that trade. Fantastic starting lineup w/healthy Hayward, BUT likely a horrid bench that lacks depth and not having many options to add to it unless guys are willing to play on vet. minimum contracts.

Hate to say it, but NOP would probably want back BOTH Brown + Tatum.

That would probably allow you to keep all of Rozier, Ojeyele and Nader, but Tatum is easily way better than those 3 and has such a tremendous future ahead.

But I hope the Pelicans would accept some package headlined by (Brown OR Tatum, not both) + 2019 Kings Pick. But we'll have to wait and hope Pelicans are mediocre next year (maybe Cousins goes elsewhere this summer)

They would probably insist on Tatum. My question is, are we going to have four big max contracts with Irving, Hayward, Davis and Horford?

Honestly if Davis keeps putting up these monstrous stat lines...I'd have to reluctantly give up both Tatum and Brown, not one or the other lol. Hayward got the 3 covered when he returns.

Of course, if it was one or the other then I'd quickly give 'em Brown.

Then what's our bench? That to me is the biggest concern then. Great starting lineup, then a horrid bench for the most part. We'd have to gut our team to even take back AD.  :(

« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2018, 12:44:42 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Remember when people around here considered not trading Tatum and Brown for this guy? LOL
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2018, 02:02:34 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Remember when people around here considered not trading Tatum and Brown for this guy? LOL

Still wouldn't

« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2018, 02:45:12 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Still wouldn't
Same, too much depth and cheap talent to give up to minimize the tax.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2018, 03:15:27 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I like what Davis is doing but a lot of it is because of the refs. Wonder if the refs are being told by the nba to continue this charade to promote Davis as the next big superstar  of the league

Part of how he got to his 53 points was free throws, in which Davis was 21-of-26. That was four more free throws than he’d attempted in any prior game in his career (22 on Nov. 20, 2017), and three more than he’d ever made in a game (18 in that same game).

The most recent player to go to the line 25 times in a 50-point game was Devin Booker, who was 24-of-26 on free throws in his 70-point game on March 24, 2017. Davis’ Pelicans opposed Booker’s Suns in Monday’s game.

« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2018, 11:20:17 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Looks like there's a really good chance Pelicans will be a 5 seed going into the playoffs (or 6 seed), and there are reports coming out that they will do "everything they can" to bring back Cousins long term.

Obviously the odds of a trade sometime in the next 1 to 1.5 years were still slim, but I think now it's legit approaching 0%. Davis will remain a Pelican for the rest of his contract.

I agree with Kaufman's take here:

https://twitter.com/AdamMKaufman/status/981227045312221189

Adam Kaufman
‏Verified account
 @AdamMKaufman

Personal opinion: I don't see the #Celtics acquiring Kawhi Leonard. That said, it's A LOT more realistic than the C's pulling off a swap with the #Pelicans for Anthony Davis.

So, if you have to pick one to continually obsess over, I'd go with Kawhi and the #Spurs.

Well, it was a fun thing to dream about.  :angel:

I don't think we will or should trade for Leonard, but either way I'm happy with our current core and we could still add to it after next season with that Kings Pick (and Grizzlies in the near future as well) ;D

« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2018, 11:36:01 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I needed to look at his stat lines all season in the Yahoo league.  I don't want to... no, I can't... go another year without him in Green.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2018, 11:46:26 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Pipe dream?

« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2018, 11:56:01 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Pipe dream?

I think the Celtics are a top 5-10 destination for Davis when he decides that he wants to win. A pipe dream is an unattainable or fanciful hope or scheme.

I don't think it is likely, but there's a slight chance that Davis comes to BOS.

« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2018, 12:11:42 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Pipe dream?

Yes, move along!   :P

I think it especially becomes that if NOP wins another playoff game (regardless if they win the series or not).

Even then I don't think gutting our team for him is worth it at this point.

« Reply #101 on: May 29, 2018, 12:09:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2018/5/29/17402760/anthony-davis-pelicans-contract-max-extension-curry-westbrook-wall-harden-free-agent-trade-celtics

Yeah there's NO WAY he's turning down that much money to leave New Orleans, even if by chance Cousins doesn't come back this summer and they are still just middle-of-the-pack next season.

« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2018, 12:15:34 PM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2018/5/29/17402760/anthony-davis-pelicans-contract-max-extension-curry-westbrook-wall-harden-free-agent-trade-celtics

Yeah there's NO WAY he's turning down that much money to leave New Orleans, even if by chance Cousins doesn't come back this summer and they are still just middle-of-the-pack next season.

I wonder if Smart, in a way, holds the key to a Davis trade sometime in maybe 2019 or 2020?

It's a gamble, but Ainge could re-sign him between 10-13M/Year, then use that salary (Smart) in a package deal for Davis, which would allow us not to fully gut the team and allow us to keep much of the core (Horford/Kyrie/Hayward and one of Brown/Tatum).

Could especially be true if Cousins doesn't come back to NOP this summer and/or if they possibly underachieve next season. We do have the Kings Pick next year which could be enticing (assuming we don't use it in a bigger deal to trade up this year).

« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2018, 01:46:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I wonder if Smart, in a way, holds the key to a Davis trade sometime in maybe 2019 or 2020?

It's a gamble, but Ainge could re-sign him between 10-13M/Year, then use that salary (Smart) in a package deal for Davis, which would allow us not to fully gut the team and allow us to keep much of the core (Horford/Kyrie/Hayward and one of Brown/Tatum).

Could especially be true if Cousins doesn't come back to NOP this summer and/or if they possibly underachieve next season. We do have the Kings Pick next year which could be enticing (assuming we don't use it in a bigger deal to trade up this year).

True, and if Kings Pick strikes "gold" (Top-5 range but not #1 obviously), then it likely has a cap hold of about 6-7M, so Smart (at that 10-13M price) + Kings Pick + Brown? + More Picks could get it done salary wise. AD will make 27M for the 2019-2020 season.

We'll see what happens for the Pelicans this summer and next season.

Still don't see AD leaving and sacrificing that $$$ even if Pelicans are merely middle of the pack though. I assume Cousins will stay with Pels though and re-sign.

« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2018, 01:51:23 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I have to believe if anything someone like Rozier would make more sense and since he fits their team better. Plus while Rozier isn't as great of a defender, he can actually shoot :P
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different