Author Topic: "Expert" Mock Drafts  (Read 8399 times)

Re: "Expert" Mock Drafts
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2023, 11:02:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We really need someone who can contribute immediately as I see it.   You're right his shooting was horrific

GregoryJackson II

NBA Comparison: Marcus Morris

Strengths: Jackson is a hybrid forward with very good size, especially for the perimeter as a 6’9 215 player who already has a strong, mature build and the frame to become even more imposing with time … Excellent length with a 7-foot wingspan … Very good run-jump athleticism; covers ground in a hurry as a rangy strider and has proven to be a powerful leaper, especially with momentum going downhill … Intriguing scoring repertoire (15 ppg as a Fr.); has the raw ability to put the ball in the basket at all 3 levels and can make some highly impressive shots when creating offense for himself … Aggressive and isn’t shy about putting constant pressure on the defense with the rock in his hands, whether iso ball or in the pick and roll game … Strong 1st step … Pretty decent ball-handling skills and shows the ability to change up rhythm with hesitation dribbles to keep his man off balance … Impressive footwork allows him to stop suddenly to rise into pull-up jumpers or utilize up-and-unders when defenders play him too aggressively in one direction … Nice groundwork for occasional back-to-basket production; will utilize turnaround jumpers and jump hooks against smaller match ups in the low or mid post areas & played extended time on the low block in HS/AAU..Full of moves and can string together flashy combination dribbles to free himself up from defenders … Has range that extends past the NBA 3 and poses a threat hitting shots off the dribble or with his feet set … Will generally make well-timed cuts or relocate to open spots when playing off the ball … Had some impressive defensive flashes denying penetration and smothering shooters when locked in (26 blocks in 32 games), physically won’t have many problems matching up with NBA 3s and 4s … Willing rebounder at the college level (6 rpg) and will look to initiate transition offense after missed shots … Could greatly benefit from being around more talented teammates and not having to shoulder such a considerable load at the next level like he did at South Carolina … Youngest prospect in the 2023 Draft class after reclassifying to the 2022 HS class; would turn 19 years old about a month into his rookie season …

Weaknesses: Maturity remains his biggest hurdle … For as talented as Jackson is, his lack of efficiency this past season was very concerning (38 FG%, 32 3FG%, 42 FG% inside the arc) … His shot selection was poor, too often wasting possessions playing hero ball and dribbling the air out of the rock … Took numerous shots early into the shot clock before his teammates could ever touch the ball, leading many to label him a ‘ballhog’ … Averaged less than 1 assist per game as a Freshman, and generally shows little to no court vision or feel for making teammates better … Too often either didn’t have a plan or had obvious pre-determined reads with the ball that were easy for the defense to take advantage of … Has a tendency to dribble with his head down and often was swarmed by defenders and forced into turnovers/offensive fouls (2.7 topg) … Sometimes you can tell that he’s new to playing extended time on the perimeter based on how he reacts to ball pressure and scramble defenses … Was not a devoted defensive player as a freshman; gave up a ton of open shots due to lax effort and often seemed unfamiliar with scouting reports and matchup tendencies … The high center of gravity he plays with and his tendency to ball watch also didn’t do him any favors on that end, particularly as a helpside defender … His focus, effort and body language both during games and on the sidelines were concerning at various points of the season, and despite his age there will be teams that keep in mind how he acts when the going gets tough for him …

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/gg-jackson/

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2023, 11:04:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I found this

Kevin O'Connor, The Ringer: Jaime Jaquez Jr., wing, UCLA

Sam Vecenie, The Athletic: Bobi Klintman, wing, Wake Forest

Matt Babcock, Sports Illustrated: Sidy Cissoko, SF/PF, G League Ignite

Jonathan Givony and Jeremy Woo, ESPN: Tristan Vukcevic, PF/C, Partizan (Serbia)

Tankathon: Marcus Sasser, PG/SG, Houston

Jonathan Wasserman, Bleacher Report: Andre Jackson Jr., SG/SF, UConn

Brett Siegel, Clutch Points: Dillon Mitchell, SF/PF, Texas

NBADraft.net: Sidy Cissoko, SF/PF, G League Ignite

https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/nba/boston-celtics/2023-nba-mock-draft-roundup-expert-predictions-for-celtics-no-35-pick/421343/

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2023, 11:22:59 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I found this

Kevin O'Connor, The Ringer: Jaime Jaquez Jr., wing, UCLA

Sam Vecenie, The Athletic: Bobi Klintman, wing, Wake Forest

Matt Babcock, Sports Illustrated: Sidy Cissoko, SF/PF, G League Ignite

Jonathan Givony and Jeremy Woo, ESPN: Tristan Vukcevic, PF/C, Partizan (Serbia)

Tankathon: Marcus Sasser, PG/SG, Houston

Jonathan Wasserman, Bleacher Report: Andre Jackson Jr., SG/SF, UConn

Brett Siegel, Clutch Points: Dillon Mitchell, SF/PF, Texas

NBADraft.net: Sidy Cissoko, SF/PF, G League Ignite

https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/nba/boston-celtics/2023-nba-mock-draft-roundup-expert-predictions-for-celtics-no-35-pick/421343/

some of those are old as Mitchell and Klintman are no longer in the draft.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2023, 11:27:17 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I see 35th as a pretty good place to be.  More contract flexibility with a second round pick.  Can sign them to a 2-way for example (like we did with Davison).  In that regard having 35 is better than having 29.  Probably end up with pretty much the same player.

As to who to pick, I have no idea.  I am not even going to try and predict or rank them.  In terms of philosophy, I say shoot for the moon.  Go ahead an pick a risky player with upside.  Put them on a 2-way and hope they turn into something useful in a could of years.

At #35 I don't expect the player drafted to sign a 2-way, but agree the contract flexibility of 2nd rounders is a positive. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2023, 04:13:43 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
The Athletic mocked Julian Phillips to the C's at 35.  He's a 19 year-old from Tennessee, turning 20 in November.   Below is a lengthy write-up of him from The Athletic (which you all should subscribe to before they cut any more of their staff), but the TL;DR version is he's a young, athletic, long wing who profiles as a high-caliber defender but needs to work on everything related to offense and also get stronger.  But he's young, so the strength will come, and the mechanics on his shot changed in college from high school, when he was a decent shooter, so that could be fixable too.
STRENGTHS
Phillips has great size for the wing position at nearly 6-foot-7 without shoes and a 6-foot-11 1/2 wingspan. He mixes that with tremendous athleticism even by NBA wing standards. Had a 42-inch vertical leap at the combine that doesn’t always show up on tape but does occasionally in flashes. Also has great lateral footspeed and quickness for his size. Runs the court very well. Has great stride length to get out in transition and cover ground quickly.

Phillips is an awesome defender, particularly on the ball. I thought he was the most consistent defensive player on one of the best defensive teams in college basketball this past season at Tennessee. Slides his feet and uses his length extremely well. Swallows up opposing players. Walls up on drives well. Forces tough shots over length. Does a great job keeping his hands extended out to cut off angles and then also using his hands to disrupt opposing ballhandlers as they try to get by him. Always going for strips as guys bring the ball up and going for little swipes on the perimeter. Somehow does all this while also avoiding fouls because he’s good at using those little disruptive swipes while also retreating his momentum backward. Has superb switchability too. Will have no issues defending one through four at the NBA level as he continues to get stronger. Has extremely high-level defensive upside in the vein of a Dorian Finney-Smith.

I generally like Phillips as a team defender. Solid in scramble situations because his balance is very good. Excellent on his closeouts. Uses his length to contest the shots but also stays ready to cut off drives. Think he’s good at rotating across the play at the basket and contesting using his length, but just doesn’t have the strength to totally hold up there yet. Doesn’t even try to use verticality. He more so just tries to swat at it. That’s why he blocks a few shots. Should be good at it when he adds 15 or so pounds throughout the next few years. Also think he manages communication and switches well off the ball. Gets through screening actions well for a bigger player. Got backdoor cut occasionally, but I think he’s generally available and engaged.

Right now, Phillips is best as a transition player and mover without the ball with some potential to shoot it long term. Tennessee ran him often off curls at the top of the key to get him going downhill toward the basket. Phillips is sharp at finding little backdoor cuts to the basket. Also finds smart 45 cuts off drives and when Tennessee would run its post offense. Has some interesting footwork as a straight-line driver off closeouts. Good pump fake. Can jab step right then put the ball on the deck and crossover left all in one motion. Has some issues as a finisher, but a lot of them tend to be due to strength-based issues more than anything.

Finally, Phillips was a good shooter in high school. Has made some mechanical adjustments that I don’t love, but he clearly has touch. Hit 82.2 percent from the line. In the summer before his senior year on the Adidas AAU circuit, per Synergy, he hit 38.9 percent from 3. In 20 tracked games at Link Academy as a senior, per Synergy, he hit 36 percent from 3.

WEAKNESSES

Strength is the biggest issue with Phillips’ game overall right now physically. Gets pushed around a bit more easily on defense than you’d hope. You can go through his chest a bit even if he’s long and walls up well. Once this gets better – and his frame is strong enough to where it should – he should become a more effective overall player as a driver, finisher, and defender.

The critical question is: What is his offensive role? Can he consistently make shots? Phillips made just 23.9 percent from 3 at Tennessee and didn’t look all that comfortable taking it. Feels like he is very squared off as a shooter now. In high school, he looked to have a tighter base and his hip at more of an angle, which allowed his elbow to come up more in alignment with his hip and the rim. The shot just looked cleaner. Now, he has a wider base with his chest quite square to the basket. Doesn’t seem like he knew how the ball would look when it would come out of his hand. Had some wildly high-arching shots and some extremely flat shots. Release point was changing. It was a strange shot given how good it was in high school. Has some exceptionally off misses. Needs to desperately work on his mechanics over the next couple of years to find a shot that works for him. The thing is, though, that there are no unfixable mechanical flaws in his shot.

Phillips has no real game off the bounce right now. Only took 11 pull-up attempts the entire season at Tennessee. Base seems like it gets even wider on those attempts. Could be a real improvement area down the road, but he’s not there yet with the funky mechanics. Doesn’t have any shiftiness off the bounce and is a straight-line-only guy right now. Doesn’t have a ton of shake with crossovers. They’re a bit loose when he does. Also not a great passer. Doesn’t collapse defenses as a ballhandler or anything, which is why he ends up only averaging about 1.4 assists per game. He generally doesn’t make poor decisions but doesn’t really pressure the defense in these situations either.

Phillips was a poor finisher for Tennessee. Made just 54.7 percent of his shots at the basket overall but was only at 45 percent in half-court settings. He struggled with his touch through contact. Felt like his take-off point was also quite far from the rim.  He can finish with his left hand, which is good. But he takes a lot of low-angle finger rolls that float in the air. Doesn’t quite get  as much out of his length or ability to extend as you might hope to see. I think there is some real potential for him here as he  gets stronger.

SUMMARY

Phillips is such an interesting bet because the defense is terrific already, and at lower levels, the offense has shown the exact skill set that he needs to be successful. Phillips clearly has real touch. He made about 37 percent from 3 in 2021-22, combining his AAU and high school stats. And yet, his offensive performance at Tennessee was so disastrous that it’s hard to buy him as a real shooter. And this wasn’t really a situation where you can blame an archaic collegiate offense. Phillips simply missed a lot of open looks and missed them badly in many cases. It comes down to believing that you can fix the shot and put some strength on Phillips’ frame. If you believe in your ability to do that as an organization, then you take him either late in the first round or early in the second. If you don’t, then you have him probably in the two-way bucket as an intriguing high-upside defensive flier. The range of outcomes both in Phillips’ career and on draft night will be wide.

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2023, 09:04:11 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Just looking at the latest mocks

ESPN: #35 Julian Phillips, with GG Jackson going #37

Ringer: #35 Jackson Jr

Yahoo: #35 Bailey (this pick is growing on me), with GG Jackson going #39

BR: #35 Jackson Jr, with TJD going #38 and GG Jackson going #40

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2023, 10:30:19 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
I watched a lot of Julian Phillips this season.  Plenty of potential there but I think he's a long way from contributing to an NBA team offensively unless Rick Barnes just had him a lot more twisted up than I realize (I do think his rigid, mistake-averse offensive style has a negative effect on some players, especially freak athletes who may be more raw at the technical/mental aspects of the game).  I suspect that we may want somebody more NBA-ready.  JMO.

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2023, 11:34:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Just looking at the latest mocks

ESPN: #35 Julian Phillips, with GG Jackson going #37

Ringer: #35 Jackson Jr

Yahoo: #35 Bailey (this pick is growing on me), with GG Jackson going #39

BR: #35 Jackson Jr, with TJD going #38 and GG Jackson going #40
I would flip out if we took Jackson Jr. over TJD!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2023, 03:06:58 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Is Kris Murray target with 25th pick? Do we try to package it with one of our 2024 picks and move to get someone else?