Author Topic: Pairing a C with Love?  (Read 5018 times)

Re: Pairing a C with Love?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 10:55:31 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
An Okafor/Sanders combo would be appealing...Maybe Okafor's professionalism would rub off on Larry a bit.

However, I expect Asik is a target given Ron Adams' position on our coaching staff and his high praise for Asik in the past.

I think Love is being targeted because he is a star and this is a star driven league - not because he is a perfect fit for our roster.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts perfectly.

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 11:15:10 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Tyson Chandler?  He'll be very available if Melo leaves
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 11:29:00 AM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
I think Love is being targeted because he is a star and this is a star driven league - not because he is a perfect fit for our roster.

A stretch four is the ideal PF to have next to Rondo.  It's preferable to have one who is neither a defensive nor rebounding liability.  Love is obviously a great rebounder and his defense isn't completely hopeless.  His defense could improve if he stopped getting into rebounding position so early that he often forsakes the idea of contesting shots.

I agree that if the Cs are committed to Rondo, then having shooters/finishers on the floor is a good idea. As far as Love's defense is concerned - rebounding is a part of defense that he excels at in addition to converting defense to offense with his outlet passing, while for the most part he does not contest shots or get into passing lanes.

I say that he is not a perfect fit for the roster because one of the team's most glaring needs  (rim protecting big man) is a necessity to pair with Love given the deficiencies of his game and we don't have one. Can we get one? I would think so...but no guarantees. Also, he wants to contend (play in playoffs) and we can't necessarily guarantee that yet, either.

So if DA commits to this like he committed to CP3 (trade without extension), then we will be taking a dangerous gamble in acquiring him.
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 11:40:59 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If Milwaukee drafts Embiid, Sanders is very attainable.  Would we give up our 17th pick for him?
I think I would.

This goes to show how tricky draft night may be for Danny. He may have to condition his agreement to give the 5/6/7 pick on whether he can pull a trade for Asik or Sanders, which may require him, if it is Sanders, to wait until Milwaukee drafts Embiid.

Great stuff!! Draft night is my favorite time of year when we are not in the play-offs!!!

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2014, 12:04:36 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

A stretch four is the ideal PF to have next to Rondo.  It's preferable to have one who is neither a defensive nor rebounding liability.  Love is obviously a great rebounder and his defense isn't completely hopeless.  His defense could improve if he stopped getting into rebounding position so early that he often forsakes the idea of contesting shots.

I agree that if the Cs are committed to Rondo, then having shooters/finishers on the floor is a good idea. As far as Love's defense is concerned - rebounding is a part of defense that he excels at in addition to converting defense to offense with his outlet passing, while for the most part he does not contest shots or get into passing lanes.

I say that he is not a perfect fit for the roster because one of the team's most glaring needs  (rim protecting big man) is a necessity to pair with Love given the deficiencies of his game and we don't have one. Can we get one? I would think so...but no guarantees. Also, he wants to contend (play in playoffs) and we can't necessarily guarantee that yet, either.

So if DA commits to this like he committed to CP3 (trade without extension), then we will be taking a dangerous gamble in acquiring him.

The team has multiple needs.  I'd go with the premise that you stick with Rondo and the rest of the roster is negotiable.  Love is a good fit next to that one key player.  Avery Bradley is a good three-point shooter who can play great defense, so I think he is another good fit next to Rondo. 

To get Love, I think the Celtics need to line up a deal for a player such as Omer Asik first.  It would make a lot of sense to get Asik first before negotiating a Love deal because if Love agreeing to an extension is contingent upon the Celtics improving the team, Houston has leverage to ask for more in return.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2014, 12:23:52 PM »

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 5
My dream is Demarcus Cousins but this kid is just untradeable so  let's go for Monroe who is a free agent.

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2014, 12:26:20 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
A tangent from original topic:
I'm really tired of the 'not a winner' comments.
We are too quick to label players this way or as 'career losers'
Sur love has his faults (d is suspect, injury history) but hold off on the definative's.
A lot of players are labeled as losers on this board. (Big al, Z Randolph to name a few) turns out they need the right situation to become coveted winners.
That is all.

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2014, 12:28:34 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
My dream is Demarcus Cousins but this kid is just untradeable so  let's go for Monroe who is a free agent.

Monroe is a horrible fit next to Love.  You need a center who can play defense.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2014, 12:36:45 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Tyson Chandler?  He'll be very available if Melo leaves

Also a decent option. Tough contract but its in its final year. Wallace and a 1st for Tyson? (Would it take two? One for Tyson and one to attach to Wallace's contract, in which case I don't think we should) Doubt the Knicks take on the extra salary but they could use the draft pick.

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2014, 01:29:01 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Id love to have Sanders' athleticism but id go with Asik.

I think he's more safer and less of a locker room trouble. He's not gonna block a lot of shota like Larry Sanders, but he's a greater less risk of causing something stupid off the court.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2014, 01:36:38 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Immediately my first thought is a good rim protector like Asik or Sanders, but it might be offensively unstoppable to pair Love with another big who can shoot and post up. My answer is Pau Gasol. Stick him and Love together and that is a very strong offensive front line.

I like Pau's brother.

Now that would be a formidable 4-5 combo. Wow!!!

Marc and Kevin...dreams.

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2014, 01:42:27 PM »

Offline mnshyn

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • Forever Green
Gortat could be had, he's a UFA, plus he wants to play with a "willing passer" of a PG (his words).
Play to win.  Always.

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2014, 01:47:51 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Given the Celtics' cap situation, it is easier to trade for a center than clear space to sign a free agent.

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2014, 01:49:32 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Gortat could be had, he's a UFA, plus he wants to play with a "willing passer" of a PG (his words).

Is he still asking for a trade?

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2014, 01:53:37 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
This should be titled counting chickens...
If we get Love (not sold, but if)
Who's the better fit at center?
Sanders, an athletic shot blocker who can cover for Loves purported weakness's?
Asik, a bull of a lowpost defender with a head forD?

I think Asik is the better player between the two, despite being different players overall.

Asik and Love rebounding the basketball....are you kidding me ?  Asik may not block shots like Sanders, but the overall game is a great compliment to guys like Love, Sullinger, or Olynyk.