Author Topic: Bulls players debated whether to show up at practice today.  (Read 7723 times)

Re: Bulls players debated whether to show up at practice today.
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2018, 02:39:43 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
When you lose by 60 points I think that players should take it personally, and not throw the coach under the bus immediately. I don't know if Boylen is a good coach or not up to this point, but you have to look yourself in the mirror and perform better if you are a player.

If I am the Bulls I would try to ship Jabari (who I presume was in the "won't come to practice" camp). He is weak on defense, his contract ends this year and they could get a 2nd rounder for him IMO.
Bulls are following my CS profile.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25528771/jabari-parker-no-longer-part-chicago-bulls-regular-rotation

Crazy how that 2014 draft class has turned out. Thought Jabari Bird/Andrew Wiggins were gonna be like the next LeBron. They look lost. Embiid was truly the top of that draft.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2018, 03:30:29 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
When you lose by 60 points I think that players should take it personally, and not throw the coach under the bus immediately. I don't know if Boylen is a good coach or not up to this point, but you have to look yourself in the mirror and perform better if you are a player.

If I am the Bulls I would try to ship Jabari (who I presume was in the "won't come to practice" camp). He is weak on defense, his contract ends this year and they could get a 2nd rounder for him IMO.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25528771/jabari-parker-no-longer-part-chicago-bulls-regular-rotation

Crazy how that 2014 draft class has turned out. Thought Jabari Bird/Andrew Wiggins were gonna be like the next LeBron. They look lost. Embiid was truly the top of that draft.

No kidding.  I wanted either of those players badly and was disappointed they didn't tank to get them.  Now I'm glad that we have Smart over both of them.  Exum and Gordon were also highly hyped.  Exum has been bad.  Gordon is a good player, but nothing special. 

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2018, 04:02:17 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

No kidding.  I wanted either of those players badly and was disappointed they didn't tank to get them.  Now I'm glad that we have Smart over both of them.  Exum and Gordon were also highly hyped.  Exum has been bad.  Gordon is a good player, but nothing special.

there was a poster here you said he'd take 20 players over smart in that draft.

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2018, 04:14:51 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
tell me again how this is a player problem.

it's definitely not. The coach wanted to throw the game dor practice in the middle of a 3 games in 4 nights. No newly appointed coach should do that.

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2018, 08:30:29 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Yeah, If Embiid had been healthy Cavs would have drafted him. Would they have traded him for Love? Hard to say, Lebron was eager to compete right away with vets. Can you imagine if Cavs drafted and kept Embiid? Lebron might still be there. Would Kyrie? All the what if’s.

« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2018, 09:01:17 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yeah, If Embiid had been healthy Cavs would have drafted him. Would they have traded him for Love? Hard to say, Lebron was eager to compete right away with vets. Can you imagine if Cavs drafted and kept Embiid? Lebron might still be there. Would Kyrie? All the what if’s.
If Embiid was healthy and not picked by Philly, the Sixers might still be tanking

« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2018, 09:49:37 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

If Embiid was healthy and not picked by Philly, the Sixers might still be tanking
Hinkie initially offered 6ers 3, 5 and 7-year play to choose from. They chose 7-year plan but pivoted after I believe 4. So, yes they could still be tanking.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2018, 10:51:48 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Hinkie initially offered 6ers 3, 5 and 7-year play to choose from. They chose 7-year plan but pivoted after I believe 4. So, yes they could still be tanking.
they didn't really pivot that was always in the plan.  tear down, get stars, then build team.  It is a pretty simple strategy really.  Perhaps if a team like the Kings or Suns had done that they wouldn't be awful for a decade.  I mean this is the 13th season since the Kings were last in the playoffs and 38 wins is their best season, followed by 33.  This is now the 9th season since the Suns last made the playoffs.  They did have a 48 win non-playoff season and another at 40, but have been in the low 20's the 3 seasons. 

Sometimes full on tanking really is the best strategy.  Chicago and Atlanta made that decision and are both going guns a blazing to achieve that goal. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2018, 11:57:09 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

they didn't really pivot that was always in the plan.  tear down, get stars, then build team.  It is a pretty simple strategy really.  Perhaps if a team like the Kings or Suns had done that they wouldn't be awful for a decade.  I mean this is the 13th season since the Kings were last in the playoffs and 38 wins is their best season, followed by 33.  This is now the 9th season since the Suns last made the playoffs.  They did have a 48 win non-playoff season and another at 40, but have been in the low 20's the 3 seasons. 

Sometimes full on tanking really is the best strategy.  Chicago and Atlanta made that decision and are both going guns a blazing to achieve that goal.
I see you haven't read the Hinkies exit manifest.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2018, 12:19:59 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I see you haven't read the Hinkies exit manifest.
Sixers Hall Of Famer, Julius Erving, provided some clarity on that question.

“Well when they [Joshua Harris and Sixers’ ownership group] acquired the team in 2012, maybe, I think the talk was about seven years. Seven years,” Erving said Wednesday on SiriusXM NBA Radio. “So I think it’s still on that same timeline.”

Seven years to make the playoffs?

“No. To be good,” Erving clarified. “To be good. To be formidable. To be a contender. That’s probably 18-19, right?”

It appears they are right on schedule.

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2018, 01:40:23 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

I think this is super interesting to think about.

Some Hinkie supporters act like it was such a foolproof plan (not saying all his supporters did, but some), but it still took a lot to break right to get to where that team is now.  If Embiid is healthy and off the board, if the ping pong balls fall differently in 2016...

The Noel, MCW, Embiid, Saric, Okafor, Simmons, Fultz picks could have easily been:

Noel, MCW, Parker, Saric, Okafor, Ingram, Fultz
Len, MCW, Gordon, Vonleh, Russell, Bender, Jackson
McLemore, Burke, Wiggins, McDermott, Okafor, Dunn, Ball

Of course those are all "worse" scenarios, it could have also gone better:

Oladipo, Giannis, Embiid, Porzingis, Simmons, Tatum
Porter, McCollum, Embiid, KAT, Murray, Fox
miss, miss, miss, miss, miss, Simmons, miss, Doncic

(and obviously this mostly ignores the possible change in draft position in later years by selecting different players, as well as different potential trades)

But there's so many more picks that are misses (from all teams, not just Philly), that I think it's more likely that if things changed slightly, they'd change for the worse, not better.  Even if we keep everything the same, except for one change in '14, very interesting to think about.  Or even if they draft Embiid but he's healthy right away, so they don't nab Simmons.  Very interesting to think about alternate possibilities.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2018, 02:30:48 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Some Hinkie supporters act like it was such a foolproof plan (not saying all his supporters did, but some), but it still took a lot to break right to get to where that team is now.  If Embiid is healthy and off the board, if the ping pong balls fall differently in 2016...

The Noel, MCW, Embiid, Saric, Okafor, Simmons, Fultz picks could have easily been:

(and obviously this mostly ignores the possible change in draft position in later years by selecting different players, as well as different potential trades)

But there's so many more picks that are misses (from all teams, not just Philly), that I think it's more likely that if things changed slightly, they'd change for the worse, not better.  Even if we keep everything the same, except for one change in '14, very interesting to think about.  Or even if they draft Embiid but he's healthy right away, so they don't nab Simmons.  Very interesting to think about alternate possibilities.
If Embiid was healthy right away (or even after that 1st year) there is no way they take Okafor the following summer.  It was Embiid's set back that led them to draft Okafor.  With a healthy Embiid, they either take a flyer on Porzingis or Mudiay or they trade back out of that spot with someone that wanted Okafor or Porzingis. 

« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2018, 02:50:59 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

If Embiid was healthy right away (or even after that 1st year) there is no way they take Okafor the following summer.  It was Embiid's set back that led them to draft Okafor.  With a healthy Embiid, they either take a flyer on Porzingis or Mudiay or they trade back out of that spot with someone that wanted Okafor or Porzingis.

While I realize I'm ignoring butterfly effects in most of my post, I was not intending to in my last couple of sentences.

I think a healthy Embiid off the bat kind of puts them in a rookie LeBron situation.  Suddenly too good to get another high lottery pick of their own.  So no #3 in '15 and no #1 in '16.  They'd still have those Kings picks though which they turned into Fultz.

That's my thought process there at least.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2019, 07:00:50 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Bulls give head coach Jim Boylen extension and raise despite bumpy start to tenure

On Saturday, the Chicago Sun-Times reported that the Bulls will extend Boylen’s contract through the 2019-20 season and give him a raise. The Bulls fired Hoiberg in early December and promoted Boylen from associate head coach. Boylen was scheduled to make just over $800,000 for this season, but according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, he is now scheduled to make $1.6 million, although only $1 million of that is guaranteed, in case the Bulls go in a different direction.

Yahoo

Chicago coach Jim Boylen has $1M of a $1.6M salary guaranteed for the 2019-20 season, league sources tell ESPN. This leaves Bulls flexibility in offseason if franchise wants to conduct a search, or decides to negotiate a more standard NBA coaching contract with Boylen.

Woj

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2019, 02:14:06 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Quote from: Shams Twitter
Chicago Bulls rookie Wendell Carter Jr. is expected to undergo surgery on his left thumb and miss 8-to-12 weeks.

OAKLAND, Calif. – The Chicago Bulls are adamant that they will not negotiate a buyout with center Robin Lopez, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Lopez’s representation has been in discussions with the Bulls’ front office about an exit strategy since late December, sources told Yahoo Sports, but the franchise intends to stand firm.

If the Bulls were to change course and reach a buyout agreement with Lopez, the Golden State Warriors would be his next destination, sources told Yahoo Sports.

Yahoo