Author Topic: Celtics (43-28) at 76ers (46-25) Game #72 3/20/19  (Read 35790 times)

Re: Celtics (43-28) at 76ers (46-25) Game #72 3/20/19
« Reply #600 on: March 20, 2019, 11:32:47 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Sorry to say, but tonight's loss is on Kyrie and Morris.

I know Brown missed 2 key free throws in the 4th quarter but I expect 10 times more out of Ky than I do from Brown.

It seemed like Kyrie wasn't passing the ball at all in the final minutes game and kept missing 3s. Then, instead of looking to pass on the final play, he goes for a lay-up with a 7 foot Embiid waiting for him. Really???

For a very intelligent person, that was a dumb move!!

I just thought Kyrie was playing very selfishly towards the end of the game, as if he doesn't trust his teammates.

And Morris.....yuck!

I was noticing him towards the end of the game and his body language sucked. He either looked gassed or like he didn't want to be there. And that foul on Simmons was ridiculous. Like Scal mentioned, you've got to play better defense rather than getting to your man too late.

It seemed like the complexion of the game changed after Baynes went down. He's literally made of glass this year and can't make it through 5 games without getting injured. We are so desperate for a big man, I would seriously consider going after Dwight Howard this summer.

I know this is a bit picky but looking at the game chart, Brown missed one ft, the other one was a lane violation on Morris.  Either way, one missed free throw doesn't lose the game for the team esp when he was 3/3 from the field. 

I agree with what you wrote.  We only had 22 assists tonight on 45 made fgs.  That seems low for us.  It feels like we play better when shots are distributed better through the team.

Brown missed 2 FTs.

There was a lane violation on the 2nd FT attempt, but Brown still missed that 2nd FT attempt.

One or two missed FTs could determine the outcome of a close game.

If it's not a close game then 1 or 2 FTs don't matter.

But when the game is on the line and there is little time left, every FT counts!

I think we all know every ft counts.  So does every missed 3 point shot, so does every FT we gave up to Embiid.  If you are going to blame Brown for losing the game for us with that one FT gotta blame all the guys that gave up FTs to Embiid.  Gotta blame Kyrie for all those missed 3 point shots.  There were obviously other plays that lost us points as well.  Blaming the loss on 1 free throw by Brown is a Forest for the Trees thing.

Embiid's 20+ ft attempts probably had a lot more to do about who won the game than the 1 ft that Brown missed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming Jaylen Brown for the loss.

What I'm saying is some of the Celtic fans here said Brown's FT shooting is not a concern.

Some Celtic fans are even wondering why Brown doesn't play in crunch time.

Now we know how important FT shooting is to winning big games.

Jaylen's poor free throw shooting has been an issue since he's been here. He's averaged 68.5%, 64.4% and 67.6% the last 3 years. Thankfully (for him) he only averages 2-3 FTAs a game. You'd think a guy that attacks the rim like he does would average more FTs but that's a problem not unique to him on this team.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #601 on: March 20, 2019, 11:34:47 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I know Brown missed 2 key free throws in the 4th quarter but I expect 10 times more out of Ky than I do from Brown.

It seemed like Kyrie wasn't passing the ball at all in the final minutes game and kept missing 3s. Then, instead of looking to pass on the final play, he goes for a lay-up with a 7 foot Embiid waiting for him. Really???

I just thought Kyrie was playing very selfishly towards the end of the game, as if he doesn't trust his teammates.

And Morris.....yuck!

I was noticing him towards the end of the game and his body language sucked. He either looked gassed or like he didn't want to be there. And that foul on Simmons was ridiculous. Like Scal mentioned, you've got to play better defense rather than getting to your man too late.

It seemed like the complexion of the game changed after Baynes went down. He's literally made of glass this year and can't make it through 5 games without getting injured. We are so desperate for a big man, I would seriously consider going after Dwight Howard this summer.

I know this is a bit picky but looking at the game chart, Brown missed one ft, the other one was a lane violation on Morris.  Either way, one missed free throw doesn't lose the game for the team esp when he was 3/3 from the field. 

I agree with what you wrote.  We only had 22 assists tonight on 45 made fgs.  That seems low for us.  It feels like we play better when shots are distributed better through the team.

Brown missed 2 FTs.

There was a lane violation on the 2nd FT attempt, but Brown still missed that 2nd FT attempt.

But when the game is on the line and there is little time left, every FT counts!

I think we all know every ft counts.  So does every missed 3 point shot, so does every FT we gave up to Embiid.  If you are going to blame Brown for losing the game for us with that one FT gotta blame all the guys that gave up FTs to Embiid.  Gotta blame Kyrie for all those missed 3 point shots.  There were obviously other plays that lost us points as well.  Blaming the loss on 1 free throw by Brown is a Forest for the Trees thing.

Embiid's 20+ ft attempts probably had a lot more to do about who won the game than the 1 ft that Brown missed.

What I'm saying is some of the Celtic fans here said Brown's FT shooting is not a concern.

Jaylen's poor free throw shooting has been an issue since he's been here. He's averaged 68.5%, 64.4% and 67.6% the last 3 years. Thankfully (for him) he only averages 2-3 FTAs a game. You'd think a guy that attacks the rim like he does would average more FTs but that's a problem not unique to him on this team.

But regardless, don't you feel it's incumbent upon Jaylen to improve his free throw shooting to help make himself a better overall player?

« Reply #602 on: March 20, 2019, 11:37:34 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

And Morris.....yuck!

Brown missed 2 FTs.

But regardless, don't you feel it's incumbent upon Jaylen to improve his free throw shooting to help make himself a better overall player?

From what I saw, Brown was doing well at the FT line when the games weren't close or it was not the 4th qtr.
It's only when there's pressure that Brown misses a lot.

« Reply #603 on: March 20, 2019, 11:40:22 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361

And Morris.....yuck!

Brown missed 2 FTs.

Been calling for him to improve for the past 2 years. Especially last season at one point he had the same FT% as 3FG% (40-something). I just think there's something wrong with his technique that doesn't give him the consistency he needs at the line. Either than or he's not practicing.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #604 on: March 20, 2019, 11:41:53 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

And Morris.....yuck!

Brown missed 2 FTs.

Sorry I shouldn't even have said you.  I didn't think you were blaming the loss on Brown, my bad.  I completely agree with you that FTs are important.  It is super frustrating that Brown can't be a 70%+ ft shooter, esp since he seems to be the only guy capable of generating FTs.

« Reply #605 on: March 20, 2019, 11:42:53 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

And Morris.....yuck!

Brown missed 2 FTs.

Been calling for him to improve for the past 2 years. Especially last season at one point he had the same FT% as 3FG% (40-something). I just think there's something wrong with his technique that doesn't give him the consistency he needs at the line. Either than or he's not practicing.

...and this could be part of the issue.

I always wonder sometimes how hard these guys practice because that speaks volumes of the type of player they are.

« Reply #606 on: March 20, 2019, 11:44:14 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

And Morris.....yuck!

Brown missed 2 FTs.

It really feels like he rushes the 1st FT every time.  When he slows down and 1) bends his knees, 2) follows through he seems to always hit them.  I don't think it is his form as much as not getting a set routine of things you do when you step up to the line that lets you turn your mind off and just do those things. 

Coaches always told me to 1) take a deep breath to relax, 2) get your feet spread right around shoulder width, 3) bend your knees before you release the ball, 4) follow through and don't aim.  I think when you have that mental checklist you do it stops you from worrying about missing the ft.

« Reply #607 on: March 20, 2019, 11:44:49 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

And Morris.....yuck!

Brown missed 2 FTs.

Sorry I shouldn't even have said you.  I didn't think you were blaming the loss on Brown, my bad.  I completely agree with you that FTs are important.  It is super frustrating that Brown can't be a 70%+ ft shooter, esp since he seems to be the only guy capable of generating FTs.

Exactly. I've always felt Brown's game is predicated on attacking the basket, whether it's pick and rolls or just slashing to the rim on his own.

Hence, he needs to be a good free throw shooter as he's more likely to get fouled.

If he can't shoot free throws, then it severely limits him as a player.

« Reply #608 on: March 20, 2019, 11:48:11 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

And Morris.....yuck!

Brown missed 2 FTs.

Agree.

Brown doesn't have to be an 80% FT shooter.

If he improves it to 75% then that's good enough.

« Reply #609 on: March 20, 2019, 11:48:54 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

And Morris.....yuck!

Brown missed 2 FTs.

Exactly. I've always felt Brown's game is predicated on attacking the basket, whether it's pick and rolls or just slashing to the rim on his own.

Hence, he needs to be a good free throw shooter as he's more likely to get fouled.

And it will also prevent Brown from playing in crunch time.

« Reply #610 on: March 20, 2019, 11:53:05 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Brown's miss was at a very critical time.

Celts were leading 108-107 with 3:45 left.

Brown was then fouled by Redick who had no choice but to foul Brown because it was a mismatch.

The stat sheet will show Brown only missed 1 FT, but it was actually 2 missed FTs because Morris committed a lane violation.
It still doesn't change the fact that Brown missed 2 crucial FTs.

« Reply #611 on: March 20, 2019, 11:53:12 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

And Morris.....yuck!

Brown missed 2 FTs.

Which is exactly when we need the ft attempts the most.

« Reply #612 on: March 21, 2019, 12:17:13 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

And Morris.....yuck!

Brown missed 2 FTs.

Which is exactly when we need the ft attempts the most.

Agree!

I really believe Jaylen has the potential to be a 20-point scorer in the NBA.
He just needs to be fundamentally sound.
Making FTs is a good start.

« Reply #613 on: March 21, 2019, 12:31:06 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Brown's miss was at a very critical time.

Celts were leading 108-107 with 3:45 left.

Brown was then fouled by Redick who had no choice but to foul Brown because it was a mismatch.

The stat sheet will show Brown only missed 1 FT, but it was actually 2 missed FTs because Morris committed a lane violation.
It still doesn't change the fact that Brown missed 2 crucial FTs.

Yeah he actually missed that second free throw during the lane violation.

Sloppy job by Brown. Very sloppy job by Morris.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #614 on: March 21, 2019, 03:47:59 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Close game but that loss is on Marcus, hopefully he learns a lesson there.

loss is not on Smart he did the right thing.
So you think we would have lost if he'd remained in the game? No chance.

And the right thing is to do what is best for your teammates. We were rattled after his ejection. Inexcusable.