Author Topic: ESPN - Journalism, Balls, and Sexual Harassment Suit  (Read 5444 times)

ESPN - Journalism, Balls, and Sexual Harassment Suit
« on: January 08, 2018, 12:53:52 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
A question from a Greek guy... I thought US sports media were a step better than others... then i see an espn reporter following the ball circus in Lithuania and an article about the patriots just before the playoffs that..... let's better not comment.. that's not journalism...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 01:05:37 PM by Moranis »

Re: Espn
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 12:56:56 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
A question from a Greek guy... I thought US sports media were a step better than others... then i see an espn reporter following the ball circus in Lithuania and an article about the patriots just before the playoffs that..... let's better not comment.. that's not journalism...

ESPN has been a place of extremes for a while. Some extremely good coverage (Jackie Mac, Woj, Zach Lowe, that's just basketball) and some extremely bad.

On the Lavarr Ball story, NBA coaches are now talking to their media guys about blackballing anyone who interviews Ball when he comes to town, presumably in support of Walton and to quell any copycats.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 01:03:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Lavar Ball is a big story.  On top of that, the Ball brothers playing in Lithuania is an interesting story alone as if it works, you could see other players go that route and forego college.  Why shouldn't that be covered?

And the Patriots story was absolutely journalism.  Just because you don't like the topic doesn't make it not journalism.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 01:47:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Lavar Ball is a big story.  On top of that, the Ball brothers playing in Lithuania is an interesting story alone as if it works, you could see other players go that route and forego college.  Why shouldn't that be covered?

And the Patriots story was absolutely journalism.  Just because you don't like the topic doesn't make it not journalism.

The Pats story was legit, and a fascinating read.

I wish ESPN would stop following LaVar around. To send a reporter the caliber of Jeff Goodman to Lithuania to follow him and grab headlines should be embarrassing for him (the reporter). 

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 02:19:27 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Sometimes the issue is the timing.... I did not write that something is false... I am not a journalist... let's say that there are other teams with issues...
As for lavar.. I am a Celtic.. I do not mind if the Lakers become a circus.. but sending a journalist in Lithuania? You just want to create news...

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 02:34:49 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

The Pats story was legit, and a fascinating read.

I wish ESPN would stop following LaVar around. To send a reporter the caliber of Jeff Goodman to Lithuania to follow him and grab headlines should be embarrassing for him (the reporter).

I agree this is a disgrace to Goodman. Mudiay and Jennings both where elite level prospects who skipped college and played over seas with out nearly the hype.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 02:40:55 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The Patriots story is probably legit. The timing, though, gives me a good chuckle.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 02:50:31 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

I'm not sure that is true. His words are inciting and "clickbait", but his son is an avg player on a bad team. At what point do guys like Tebow and Ball become part of the past?

I think it should be the moment that they stop producing at an above average rate.

Lavar Ball has made a story out of very little content. His two young sons don't look like NBA players, yet they are attracting as much/more attention than guys like Ayton/Bagley. Doesn't seem right.

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 03:29:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I'm not sure that is true. His words are inciting and "clickbait", but his son is an avg player on a bad team. At what point do guys like Tebow and Ball become part of the past?

I think it should be the moment that they stop producing at an above average rate.

Lavar Ball has made a story out of very little content. His two young sons don't look like NBA players, yet they are attracting as much/more attention than guys like Ayton/Bagley. Doesn't seem right.

As far as I know one of the Ball brothers is not even a fringe NBA prospect. The other one may be a second round type? As others mentioned players like Mudiay and Jennings already did this route and they were much more high-level prospects. I agree it doesn't seem right.

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 12:41:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

LaMelo Ball had an ESPN recruiting rating of 95 and was in the top 6 of his class before he went to play professionally.  Lonzo ended up a 96 and 4th in his class.  Now obviously those ratings change a lot over time and mean nothing towards future success, but LaMelo was absolutely a top tier recruit and a likely first round pick, if not a lottery pick.  Mudiay was rated 97 and Jennings 99 (though at least Mudiay was a year older), so they were slightly better prospects, but not nearly enough to put them in a class ahead of LaMelo. 

LiAngelo on the other hand was rated only 79 and only was recruited by UCLA so they could land the services of LaMelo (and to appease Lonzo). 

Don't let LiAngelo's mediocrity cloud your judgment on the prospect level of LaMelo, as they are no where near the same level of player or athlete.  In fact, many believe LaMelo will be better than Lonzo, who was the #2 pick in the draft for a reason.

Re: ESPN
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 12:57:14 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
It's not exactly ESPN's fault. People are clicking on the Ball links. American society has and always will be interested in controversy, and people like LaVar Ball are excellent examples of people who can ruffle feathers. ESPN is just giving the public what they want.

Re: ESPN
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 01:01:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I actually came in here to post about the sexual harassment lawsuit that got filed and got distracted again by the Ball's. 

Here is an article on the harassment suit.  https://www.si.com/tech-media/2018/03/05/adrienne-lawrence-espn-lawsuit-john-buccigross

Re: ESPN - Journalism, Balls, and Sexual Harassment Suit
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 01:51:04 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Can someone post the Patriots article you are talking about or at least the topic so I can find it.

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 01:57:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Can someone post the Patriots article you are talking about or at least the topic so I can find it.
It was discussed at length here.  http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=94932.0

and here is the direct link to the article http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/hotread180105/beginning-end-new-england-patriots-robert-kraft-tom-brady-bill-belichick-internal-power-struggle

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 02:01:18 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Thanks Moranis. Tp.