Author Topic: Australia Vs USA  (Read 8059 times)

Australia Vs USA
« on: August 03, 2008, 07:08:46 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
The game is on tuesday morning I believe for those of you in the states. Should be a fantastic warmup exhibition to watch as Australia are bringing in some good form leading into the game.

We only lost to Argentina in the diamond ball tournament final by 4points after leading by 19 through the 3rd quarter, plus Bogut sat most of the 2nd half out with an ankle tweak he had from their last game.

The boomers should surprise a few team these olympics I think.

Re: Australia Vs USA
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 07:30:43 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
Go Australia!

As I've mentioned in another thread, the X-factor and 'no-namer' you should look out for is Joe Ingles IMO, he's no NBA level, but watch out.

I'm excited, can't wait to watch this game.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 08:57:03 PM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
Actually, Ingles is almost a lock to be drafted and will probably make an NBA roster...

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 11:23:34 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • KG is da Man
Actually, Ingles is almost a lock to be drafted and will probably make an NBA roster...

Really? I'm not doubting you, but can you please provide sources?
I'm kind of suprised because even down under, all I hear is Patrick Mills and Brad Newley (who's not as good as Ingles IMO-but got drafted last year).

I guess I'm wrong in saying he's not NBA level, maybe I should add a 'yet' lol
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 11:29:19 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
IT's a little weird how calm Bogut looked giving Yao a noogie and poking him in the shoulder.

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 12:17:22 AM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107

Really? I'm not doubting you, but can you please provide sources?
I'm kind of suprised because even down under, all I hear is Patrick Mills and Brad Newley (who's not as good as Ingles IMO-but got drafted last year).

I guess I'm wrong in saying he's not NBA level, maybe I should add a 'yet' lol

Alot of mocks I've seen have him going early to mid 2nd round.  He could work his way up to the end of the 1st round but he's only like what 20?  He's a 6'8 swing man that could turn into a decent player in the NBA. 

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 01:21:19 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • KG is da Man
Alot of mocks I've seen have him going early to mid 2nd round.  He could work his way up to the end of the 1st round but he's only like what 20?  He's a 6'8 swing man that could turn into a decent player in the NBA. 

Mmm....and indeed he is. The Celtics winning must've kept me out of touch with the mock drafts, which I entirely don't mind.

[dang], I thought I was going to be able to say "told you so" about Ingles after the Australia/USA game.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 02:21:29 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
Mills has been doing a very good job for the boomers the last few games, which is great to see with CJ Bruton declining in performance.

Ingles, Newley, Nielson, Bogut, Mills, Jawai, AJ Ogilvy... could be a new dawn for Aussie basketball! 

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 04:41:20 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • KG is da Man
Mills has been doing a very good job for the boomers the last few games, which is great to see with CJ Bruton declining in performance.

CJ's not as much of a scoring machine as he used to, but don't you think he's still playing very well in other aspects to make up for his declining scoring?
I still believe we are not going to see much of Mills this tourney.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 09:32:16 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Is anybody watching this game right now?  The Ausies are playing really well WITHOUT Bogut.  They're playing good D and they're slowing down the game to their tempo.  USA needs to step up here.  They can't keep playing like it's an All Star game.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 10:07:25 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I watched most of it. The commentators were talking about who might be the next Olympic Coach since Coach K will likely not do this again.

They said that they could look into people like Popovich because of his rings, Doc Rivers because he's a "player's coach", or Mike D'Antoni for his knowledge of the int'l game; one of the commentators specifically said he thinks whoever the Davidson coach (name?) should get the nod.

Also, they said it's nice to have a coach who knows the international game this year, and having D'Antoni on the bench helps. 

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 10:15:10 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
is this game on now? anyway to watch it online?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 10:19:19 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • KG is da Man
Yep, I watched the game. Australia continued their recent strong play. And obviously I'm wrong about Mills not playing too much (and I'm happy to admit this as he played really well). And I was a bit disappointed Joe Ingles didn't get to play much this game, although I think he contributed when he did get to play.

I think I like to criticize Team USA, you can call me biased, but sometimes, when the likes of Kobe Bryant and Carmelo gets the ball (LeBron sometimes as well although less of a fault), they kind of stop the ball movement, sure he's MVP, sure he's one hell of a scorer, but basketball is a team game, and especially international play. That also lead up to terrible shots (hands in faces-as that's how coaches like their players to play D- while you can say NBA players do that, but I think international players do these things better, just closing out on players etc)
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 10:20:31 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I watched most of it. The commentators were talking about who might be the next Olympic Coach since Coach K will likely not do this again.

They said that they could look into people like Popovich because of his rings, Doc Rivers because he's a "player's coach", or Mike D'Antoni for his knowledge of the int'l game; one of the commentators specifically said he thinks whoever the Davidson coach (name?) should get the nod.

Also, they said it's nice to have a coach who knows the international game this year, and having D'Antoni on the bench helps.

I saw that too.  One thing that I think would be interesting.  Even though I like to see things colorblind and I dont think he'd be the perfect coach for Team USA, I think that having a black coach would send a message to the rest of the world.  I think the world is a little behind on that department.  Of course, you can't name him just because he's black, but it would be interesting.  I think the best coach for team USA would be D'Antoni since he already knows the international game well and he's an offense genious.  US would have to play a lot of D, but at least they wouldnt stall their offense like we are doing now.

Also, did you see Patrick Mills?  The kid is only 19 but he straight out burned Williams, Kidd and Paul on the breakaway.  Did you see that one from coast to coast?  He had a Rondo type of quickness, but maybe even faster.  He's short, but he'd be an interesting draft pick in the near future.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 10:33:26 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
Just finished watching it, very fun game to watch. Pat Mills was great he really showed some flair this game, especially for a 19 year old. Brad Newely was fantastic and got to the basket quite easily which really surprised me. Lebron was Team USA's interior defense, he had an absolute block party.

I'm glad the Boomers rested Bogut, the fact that they kept themselves in the game without him through all quarters must build some great confidence in them.

I must say I hate the way carmelo played this game. It seemed to me like he had no intention to adapt his game in anyway to the international style of play, resulting in two or more airballs...

oh and Anstey had the best fingeroll I think I have seen. He must have let it go at hip height haha.