Author Topic: Ainge: Celtics need another 'dynamic scorer  (Read 21813 times)

Ainge: Celtics need another 'dynamic scorer
« on: April 30, 2015, 10:54:24 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Not much of a surprise regarding danny comments about needing another scorer, rebounder and shot blocker.   Sully, KO, Zeller, Turner are all walking on thin ice and could be traded or replaced by a better talent.  Ideally all of Dannys needs could be solved by getting a center like an Aldrige or Gasol.  Realistically Danny will have to  try to upgrade little by little until he gets a good chance to acquire the type of talents he wants (2016 FA). Also there there is still a chance guys like Sully, KO, smart, young become much better players

.“You could see the difference in our team when we acquired Isaiah Thomas, a dynamic scorer,” Ainge, Boston’s president of basketball operations, said on 98.5 the Sports Hub's Toucher & Rich show. “We need another dynamic scorer, preferably at the three (small forward), four (power forward) or five (center) position.”

Ainge went on to add that there’s also a need for better rebounders and shot-blockers, too.

“I like each one of the players on our roster,” Ainge said. “But we just need to upgrade our overall talent.”

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/danny-ainge-says-boston-celtics-need-another-dynamic-scorer

Re: Ainge: Celtics need another 'dynamic scorer
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:57:17 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
It starts with Monroe, that's the guy we need to get.

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 10:58:21 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Monroe would help for scoring and rebounding. Not much for shot blocking. Not really sure also If I want to throw 16-17 million a season for him

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 11:00:05 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
If IT is your best player you're in for a world of hurt.

At least Ainge knows we need MORE talent.

We have some good solid pieces but no cornerstones and thats what we really need.

Why did we make the playoffs....this was such a waste of a year.

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 11:03:42 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
He's right.  Personally I think it'll come in the form of a SF.  How we get him, I'm not sure. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 11:07:06 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Monroe would help for scoring and rebounding. Not much for shot blocking. Not really sure also If I want to throw 16-17 million a season for him

Can't have it all. His offense and rebounding more than makes up for his lack of shot blocking AND his defense contribution at the 5 is much better than at PF.

He can play alongside any of the bigs we wish to retain as well, including Zeller for that matter.

And $16 million starting salary for a player like him is peanuts. At that price level/talent combo you'd be hard pressed to find a better option for bigs particularly young and unrestricted. If you can get Monroe, honestly, it would be a very dumb move to not acquire him regardless of how you think his defense is.

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 11:08:05 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
In other words, Ainge is pretty satisfied with the current guard rotation and sees the frontcourt as the priority for upgrades.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 11:09:42 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
In other words, Ainge is pretty satisfied with the current guard rotation and sees the frontcourt as the priority for upgrades.

Given how cost controlled the backcourt is for the near future, I would certainly turn the attention  to the frontcourt & worry about the backcourt later. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 11:10:18 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
If all fails and the only way Danny can upgrade was via the draft (and get some impact right away). Considering his comments, he could draft two of (if he can move up with one of the picks) or three picks

C/PF options:  Kaminsky (scoring), Turner (SB, Rebounding),  WCS (shot blocking), Upshaw (Rebounding, Shot blocking)

F options:  Wood (rebounding/shot blocking), Martin (rebounding/scoring), Looney (rebounding/shot blocking)

from Danny's comments sounds like he likes our guards and no immediate upgrade is required

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 11:11:20 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
He was specifically asked if they will target the front court and he said they will be looking for every position. Take this with a grain of salt because Ainge isn't known for being honest, but if they find a dynamic guard who can handle the ball and score, I wouldn't be shocked if they went after him.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 11:13:58 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

yup. I also got that from him.  You can add Evan Turner and James Young to the mix.   

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 11:16:18 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sully, KO, Zeller, Turner are all walking on thin ice and could be traded or replaced by a better talent.
  Sully is the only one on thin ice.   They all have flaws that could be upgraded though.   They would all three be tough bench players, I just cringe when I think of them as starters.

Ainge is pretty satisfied with the current guard rotation and sees the frontcourt as the priority for upgrades.

I agree, we got maimed on the boards, Sully can rebound with anyone but is bad at D.

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 11:17:52 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
How many dynamic scorers are there in the whole league at the 3, 4, and 5?  It's such a guard centric league in terms of volume scorers.

SF:
- Lebron
- Durant
- Melo
- George
- Hayward
- Gay (I guess)

PF:
- Griffin
- Aldridge
- Randolph
- Love
- Dirk
- Davis
- Bosh

C:
- P. Gasol
- Marc Gasol
- Cousins
- Vucevic
- Jefferson
- B. Lopez

Scoring size is rare.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 11:20:24 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
How many dynamic scorers are there in the whole league at the 3, 4, and 5?  It's such a guard centric league in terms of volume scorers.

SF:
- Lebron
- Durant
- Melo
- George
- Hayward
- Gay (I guess)

PF:
- Griffin
- Aldridge
- Randolph
- Love
- Dirk
- Davis
- Bosh

C:
- P. Gasol
- Marc Gasol
- Cousins
- Vucevic
- Jefferson
- B. Lopez

Scoring size is rare.

monroe is probably going to be their main realistic target ...

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 11:21:43 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Sully, KO, Zeller, Turner are all walking on thin ice and could be traded or replaced by a better talent.
  Sully is the only one on thin ice.   They all have flaws that could be upgraded though.   They would all three be tough bench players, I just cringe when I think of them as starters.

Ainge is pretty satisfied with the current guard rotation and sees the frontcourt as the priority for upgrades.

I agree, we got maimed on the boards, Sully can rebound with anyone but is bad at D.

I dunno I think all the guys I listed are on thin ice. Meaning if the opportunity presents, Danny won't hesitate to trade one or two of them to get that SF/PF or C he wants.  Otherwise they would be good player coming off the bench  (unless sully, ko surprises us). 

Zeller is expandable.  I was not happy with his play in the playoffs. Very soft and couldn't really help us grab some much needed defensive rebounds.