Author Topic: What will Noel's new contract look like?  (Read 5290 times)

Re: What will Noel's new contract look like?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 11:56:54 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I was on the Smart for Noel bandwagon a while back, maybe it's time that bandwagon was restarted.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 12:33:04 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
The Celtics SO need this guy.

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 12:44:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Noel has a career TRB% below 15%.

His career DRB% is 21.4%.

He ranks 95th in the league this year in Defensive Rebound Rate.

Just putting that out there.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 12:49:36 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
If Giannis can play the point, Simmons should be able to manage.  It doesn't mean he'll have to guard point guards.  The shooting guard can do that.
i do not see how these two logically support each other as statements. antetokounmpo is a very different type of player than simmons. simply because one tall player can be a pg does not mean automatically that other tall players can be pg.

simmons is a pf, perhaps a sf, but i doubt he would successfully guard most sf in the nba. that is about it for him.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 12:55:11 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

good info pho. the numbers are underwhelming for noel so far and his immaturity is perhaps a concern, perhaps. the key is why such underwhelming numbers and performance?

is noel simply not that good a player and early predictions were off target? or is his performance a artifact of being on the sixers during their horrific tanking-process? meaning, on a good team with the appropriate supporting cast he might excel.

honestly, i find it almost impossible to judge his floor or ceiling in the nba right now. will he ever be more than a nice backup level player? will he become the great defensive player many people predicted - a defensive super star?

[dang]ed if i know. i dont know if ainge really knows either and $20,000,000 per year is a lot of money to shovel towards a backup center.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 01:02:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

good info pho. the numbers are underwhelming for noel so far and his immaturity is perhaps a concern, perhaps. the key is why such underwhelming numbers and performance?

I don't know about the rest of his game -- he's shown flashes -- but rebounding tends to remain pretty consistent over a player's career.

My sense with Noel is that he just doesn't have the frame to be a great rebounder.  You look at a guy like Sullinger, he has a wide base so he can't be pushed around easily.  This allows him to grab boards despite the fact that he's undersized and has very little lift.

Noel has arms for days and has some good bounce even though he's had knee issues.  But his hips are narrow and he's a twig, so he gets pushed around too easily inside.  For this reason he'll never be better than an adequate rebounder.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 01:19:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Teacher says, every time CB starts a Philly thread a LarBird gets his wings. 

Philly either trades him for fair value prior to the deadline or keeps him.  He's worth more to them as a backup center than the kind of lowball backup players fans think they can get him for.

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 04:15:39 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

Philly either trades him for fair value prior to the deadline or keeps him.  He's worth more to them as a backup center than the kind of lowball backup players fans think they can get him for.

The problem is that right now "fair value" really is something like a mid-first or decent rotation swingman. That top 5 pick or forward with all-star potential simply isn't coming, and so Philly's eventually going to have to either adjust their asking price or constrain their ability to field the other 4 positions on the floor.

EDIT: To put things another way, if Noel didn't exist everyone would think it crazy if Philly went out this summer and signed a non-star-level free agent center to an $80 million deal when they already had Embiid, Okafor, and Holmes on the roster. Giving a huge deal to Noel just because they've already sunk a draft pick into him isn't significantly different.

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2017, 04:19:28 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

is noel simply not that good a player and early predictions were off target?
or is his performance a artifact of being on the sixers during their horrific tanking-process? meaning, on a good team with the appropriate supporting cast he might excel.

honestly, i find it almost impossible to judge his floor or ceiling in the nba right now. will he ever be more than a nice backup level player? will he become the great defensive player many people predicted - a defensive super star?

[dang]ed if i know. i dont know if ainge really knows either and $20,000,000 per year is a lot of money to shovel towards a backup center.
I blame his lack of development on Phillys "losing culture"

people toss that phrase around a lot when talking about teams learning how to win and I dont believe it has anything to do with playoff success. Once you get good players, you will win and not have a losing culture. It disapears. However, when you are developing bad players with good potentials that losing culture stunts development. I think we saw that with Noel and Okafor so far as well.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2017, 04:41:26 PM »

Offline jdrocko

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
Bismack Biyombo 2.0?  :-\

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2017, 04:43:33 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

Thank you for sharing. This would be an issue. I think Noel could get more with less bigs to play around with?

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2017, 04:46:29 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

Dude, everything I have read says they're going to get a lowball offer. I actually think him and Embiid can play together, but for some reason Philly doesn't do it often enough. They should just start Noel, but they can't because of Saric and Simmons. I mean you can keep throwing it out there that they'll put him on the bench, but you have nothing to back your claim.

There are multiple reports saying Philly doesn't want to resign him ideally. I just can't wait for this Noel thing to be over with. You seem to be a little bias when it comes to the Sixers.

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2017, 04:56:40 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933

Dude, everything I have read says they're going to get a lowball offer. I actually think him and Embiid can play together, but for some reason Philly doesn't do it often enough. They should just start Noel, but they can't because of Saric and Simmons. I mean you can keep throwing it out there that they'll put him on the bench, but you have nothing to back your claim.

There are multiple reports saying Philly doesn't want to resign him ideally. I just can't wait for this Noel thing to be over with. You seem to be a little bias when it comes to the Sixers.

TP

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2017, 05:13:29 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Nice night for Noel last night. 19 points on 8-10 shooting, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 blocks and 2 steals in a start. Plus Philly beat the Clippers without Embiid.

As the season progresses, Noel looks better and better and the Celtics continue to struggle with stuff he'd almost definitely help.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 05:19:25 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Nice night for Noel last night. 19 points on 8-10 shooting, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 blocks and 2 steals in a start. Plus Philly beat the Clippers without Embiid.

As the season progresses, Noel looks better and better and the Celtics continue to struggle with stuff he'd almost definitely help.

You have Ainge's phone number?

I'm not sure if he's waiting on something, such as Boogie or another big to come available, or if he just wants maximal cap space this summer for some ill-conceived pursuit of a free agent we'll have no chance at, but I think either way it's about time to get this guy. And I don't necessarily think this would prevent us from getting a guy like Hayward this summer either. Crowder is always a very tradeable asset for cap space if we get Hayward, especially with Jaylen already on board at the 3, so I can't imagine it's due to that either. I still think he's just holding out hope for a Boogie trade, for better or worse.